Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 11-01-2010, 22:00   #41
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Ask for all tests they offer it is quite likely they are a little bit cheaper. It doesn´t matter where the lab is as long as the tests are done properly.
They say they could make any tests, that have demand. If a certain number of interested people is collected, thay are ready to buy the patents needed. It is a pitty, but at the moment it seems like only paternity tests are interesting to dog owners in Lithuania.
If I knew the certain names of tests, interesting to our breeed, I could send them a request.

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 02:53   #42
mijke

The patent of the dwarfism test is not sold yet to any lab.
And I hope in future a lab can buy it and offer the test for cheap price!

On this moment some labs in West Europe do offer the same test (for same or higher prices), but they all send the blood samples to the Uni of Utrecht (Holland)

In the mean time I did make an agreement with the university:
When I am able to send at least 30 bloodsamples in one time (with payment before test) they will make the test for € 80 (without tax) for each dog instead of the €100.

I also can offer to come over with a friend of mine who is a vet, to collect the blood for free.
So when you organise an event with more CsW's and you are willing to make a dwarfism test for at least 30 CsW's, just contact me in private about possibillity's! [email protected]

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg

Last edited by mijke; 17-01-2010 at 17:45.
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 15:40   #43
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Because we know, now exist "new, fresh" dwarf pups in litters, I want write to all breeders which have these pups in litter: PLEASE contact Mijke and help us to collect blood.
Don´t kill pups when you will know it- it is dwarf - and help us.
Maybe in this moment the breeders does not know it, but they can see it a few days or weeks later.
Thanks Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44   #44
martiou07

Send a message via MSN to martiou07 Send a message via Skype™ to martiou07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post

Maybe it is only possible when we collect blood on a event like World dog show
And I am willing to come over with a vet on such an event and take the blood samples for free! (owners then only have to pay for the test of the university)
let us can consider that at the world dog show in Paris?

also, it would be necessary which you would be on the maximum of anybody wishes to do it, but I think, he can be possible on each forum of wolfdog.org to envisage that.

that will allow to advance a maximum for the tests of the nanism and DM...

martiou07 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 14:05   #45
Shadowlands

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post Pituitary Dwarfism test results but today I received the result from Laboklin for

Wolfy von Konigs-Terry: genome N/N

We are happy

Again only by email but hopefully the certificates will follow soon.

Mijke, I have forwarded the email to wolfdog-healthinfo for you.

Last edited by Shadowlands; 08-02-2011 at 14:09.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:09   #46
mijke

Thanks I will add next update!

http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
Old 06-04-2011, 20:51   #47
Backman

DNA test for pituary dwarfism:

Blazy de la Louve Blanche
Dream Wolf de la Louve Blanche
Crying Wolf Luka
Forever Wolf Arctic Hero
Forever Wolf Arctic Angel
Forever Wolf Arctic Storm

ALL CLEAR OF THE MUTATION !

Jenny
Backman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 10:59   #48
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Dero Sotis - clear of mutation
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 17:16   #49
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Baron spod Dumbiera - clear of mutation
Wolfsirius Sleeping Storm -clear of mutation
Basior Jantarowa Wataha - clear of mutation
Ikala spod Dumbiera - clear of mutation
Elys spod Dumbiera - carrier of mutation

so Taabernakkelin K-litter will be clear of mutation

rest 2 Finlandya and Andradite I give later...
Old 04-06-2011, 14:46   #50
leila
http://www.tobrok.sk

Gunner Malý Bysterec - CLEAR of the mutation!
Old 05-06-2011, 17:53   #51
robertomaggio

Default Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
For your age the minimum fixed gross salary (without the 30 % tax you have to pay for this) is in my country about € 1270,- ( the same as family without work with 2 kids gets) So don't think the fairy tales about the "LUXERY WEST EUROPE" are always true for everyone here! (I know a boy of 26 with 2 different official university degrees who earns gross salary € 1850 (without the 30 % tax) and that is not any exception.)
Only the "happy few" here make more then 2 or 3 times double.

But for me it is not interesting at all to discuss about salary, price of puppy's and so on!
For everyone it is a relative high price! And when the university sell the test in e few years to a commercial laboratory, it depends of "the market" if it become higher or less.

For everyone for who is breeding as a hobby to improve a breed, it costs money (like every other hobby!)

And for your info: I don't have any benefits for this test! And I did make the test with my female after she was sterilized.

But it is always the personal choice of a owner/breeder to invest in any DNA test for the benefit of the breed for the future.
And when they don't make combinations carrier x carrier they have affords (like for example no dwarfs in a litter, less dead born pups or pups that die in first days, bigger litter. Because pituitary dwarfism is/can be the reason for these things)

And till today I am very grateful that some Dutch, Belgium and Denmark people did invest a lot of money in the test, without any obligation!
AND that they did gave permission to publish test results!

Thanks to them we could see that in 30 tested CsW's from different lines were 6 carriers.
And it is clear that this disease is more spread in the bread then we did expect.
And even when others don't test, dwarfism is one of the real problems in this bread.

But in the 6 carriers are also good CsW's (conform bonitation and HD) that will be breed in future!
And that is good , because excluding all dogs that are carrier of this or other genetic diseases would destroy a breed!
When your male or female is carrier just ask the other party to make a test!

Hello Mijke
I'm Roberto from Italia and I just make test of DM,Hd etcc in all my dogs and now I want to make test for Dwarfism but I receive this mail back from LABOKLIN:
Hello,

"we test the mutation that is known to cause dwarfism. The test does not exclude dwarfism due to possible but yet unknwon further mutation or non genetic backround."

At this point I'm not sure about guarantee that if my dogs are CLEAR in future will be possible that gene change etccc.
Sorry if I don't understand well but I'm sure that you can help me in correct explanation
Ciao
Roberto
robertomaggio jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:46   #52
mijke

The univeristy of Holland is on this moment the only place where the dwarfism test can be done.
Also Laboklin is sending DNA of dogs to holland for the dwarfism test.

The Dwarfism test is testing if a dog has the gene mutation for Pituitary dwarfism.
When you have test a dog and he is Free he will be always Free for this gene mutation!

All the Csw dwarfs that were tested did have the same gene mutation that causes pituitary dwarfism.
But as metionend before : there are sometimes other reasons why a dog is very small. And this has nothing to do with pituitary dwarfism!

It is very strange that Laboklin did send such mails about the dwarfims test.
Because there can always appear new gene mutations in a breed.
And theoretical it is possible that there will appear in future an other gene mutation that causes an other form of a disease.

But that is possible for all the genetic diseases we know now!!
So it is a bit strange to mention this only for pituitary dwarfism!

Old 09-06-2011, 23:14   #53
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Hello,

To anyone that has had this test done, I was wondering something..

Does the blood sample has to be spun and separated from the clot? We did the rabies antibody test before and this was the procedure, but I am not sure if it is the same for also this test.

Also, the sample must be sent express overnight, correct?

Thank you.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 23:32   #54
jmvdwiel

You must sent EDTA blood for DNA testing , no centrifugation!!!

Try to get the blood to the lab as fresh as possible, a copple of day's won't be a problem
jmvdwiel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 23:36   #55
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdwiel View Post
You must sent EDTA blood for DNA testing , no centrifugation!!!

Try to get the blood to the lab as fresh as possible, a copple of day's won't be a problem
I forgot to add that I do not know what "EDTA" is, but I read something now and I understand it to be some sort of anticoagulant that is already in the tube.

Thank you!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 00:17   #56
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
I forgot to add that I do not know what "EDTA" is, but I read something now and I understand it to be some sort of anticoagulant that is already in the tube.

Thank you!!!
Purple top tube. The sample I sent for DM to Missouri had to be placed on a (heavy) chillpack, and then insulated according to postal regulation in a box inside a box (one had to be leakproof). I had to send 5 tubes, but I think that was part of the study UofM was doing. It cost me $65 to send the blood from Virginia to Missouri overnight. I think my vet charged me like $15-20 for the blood draw. Vets will often have little insulated boxes and freeze packs that they get with meds that they will give you. I'm not sure if there are any customs regulations related to exporting blood from the US? Laboklin offers a buccal (saliva) test, but it costs more (all testing still done in Utrecht). Maybe it's possible to send these swabs directly to Utrecht instead?
Old 10-06-2011, 00:41   #57
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
I'm not sure if there are any customs regulations related to exporting blood from the US? Laboklin offers a buccal (saliva) test, but it costs more (all testing still done in Utrecht). Maybe it's possible to send these swabs directly to Utrecht instead?
I found this: http://www.biofocus.de/PDF/Onkologie...e_Handling.pdf

It's for human blood sampling but I assume shipping-wise largely the same? Anyway, when have the test done I will call FedEx and confirm. Thanks for the heads up though. I hadn't thought about that yet. Does anyone know if the blood samples to Utrecht also have to be chilled?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12   #58
Shadowlands

I had a real problem with sending our samples as the post from Bulgaria is awful and no courier would take it. My solution? Wait till I was travelling to the UK myself, have the blood drawn the day before and, keeping it cool with ice packs, packed it into my luggage. On arrival in the UK, I sent it off - so it was probably nearly 5 days old by the time it arrived at Laboklin (and then had to be sent out to Utrecht, but I guess they would have done some processing first??), but there were no problems reported. I was really worried for a while that the samples would be no good . Now we have DNA stored at Laboklin so I don't have to worry in the future if I decide to have any other tests done.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 20:34   #59
yukidomari

We have successfully sent blood samples to the Netherlands now, with much thanks to Mijke. The university now has our samples and we are awaiting results back soon.

So, posting from the USA is not a problem .. this test is accessible and the bill will be sent to you once the testing is complete. Because the bill is posted to the owner and not necessarily the person submitting the test, it will be no financial burden to the breeder - we have also asked overseas breeders whose puppies we plan to have to do the testing before we fetch the puppies, so that it can be posted from within Europe.

It may be a helpful thing to ask!

Last edited by yukidomari; 26-01-2012 at 20:40.
Old 27-01-2012, 00:59   #60
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

We may...may have something in the works with UofM soon...