Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 13-12-2012, 00:54   #1
Tigerstripe40

Default Aggressiveness toward my cat.

Hello this is my first post.

I don't directly own a Vlcak, but my buddy and roommate does.
His name is Zazimir (we call him Zaz) and he's just over a year old.

I have had my cat for about 7 years now. The cat has lived in the home with a black labrador for 5 years and they get along fine. Initially (5 years ago)there was some tension with the lab, the cat gave a hiss and after a bit, bloodied the labs nose with his claws and its been fine ever since. They play with each other, they sleep together. No issues there.

Now, with the Vlcak Zaz, the cat has been in the picture since day 1. The vlcak has shown aggression with the cat. The cat will hiss, and scratch, and in some occasions, has bloodied Zaz's nose, however, Zaz will not back down. Neither will the cat. Typically we end up physically separating the dog and cat. Zaz will get put in his kennel and the cat will go hide for a while. I have a baby gate to keep Zaz out of the area the cat typically occupies, however, the gate doesn't always get closed and Zaz will go straight for the room my cat is in.

I figure its natural curiosity with the dog, however, the cat will swat at Zaz when Zaz starts biting at the cat, and since neither will back down, it will escalate into a fight (we always intercept before it gets really aggressive, and so far, no injuries to the cat other than hurt pride, and a bloodied nose for the dog).

My fear is that Zaz will get the better of the cat one day and seriously harm him or kill him. -I don't want that to happen.

I feel its time to get involved myself.

Any clues on how to cull this behavior from the dog?
Tigerstripe40 jest offline   Reply With Quote