Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Off topic

Off topic About everything and about nothing - way how to pleasantly spent your free time...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:23   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default CsVs and children...

Hi all,
Some breeds are naturally good with kids but most have to be acclimated to them at a young age in order to be tolerant. Not having a tremendous amount of experience with Vlcaks, I don't know which category they fall under - I would LOVE to know what others out there have experienced regarding children and vlcaks.
In my recent experience (I have no children of my own nor do any of my friends) both Luna and Pollux have been exposed to children at the local dog park. Most of the kids are OK with dogs, but a few have posed some shocking situations...
For instance, there is a couple that bring their 9 month old infant to the park - cute, chubby little boy - both vlcaks react in different ways to the baby. Luna sniffs him and walks away as if he is stinky. She is neither attracted to him nor worried - just neutral. Pollux, for some reason, always greets the baby gently and submissively and licks his face, as well as that of the hunched-over mom.
Then, the other day, a dad and his 5 year old daughter came in with an old Labrador who just wanted to lay in the dirt. The little girl (who was NOT being watched appropriately) grabbed a big stick and swung it around. Luna kept her distance from the girl, but Pollux went over to her. She swung the stick AT him, to hit him, but missed. It was clearly an aggressive move. My heart was in my throat - Pollux plays rough with us and toys - I was afraid he would do something like knock her over - but all he did was give her submissive body language and he smiled as he took the stick from her and trotted back to us. The girl threw a fit that he stole her stick, but in the meanwhile I loudly yelled for her NOT to hit the dog. Pollux was proud that he stole the stick, of course, and I praised his restraint (though I am sure he had no idea why I was praising him)... it seems my vlcaks are OK with little ones - though of course I always monitor interactions - it would be unfair to put them in a bad situation...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote