Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 22-06-2011, 23:20   #1
loco
Non active.

Default DM transmission: DM/DM x DM/DM = N/DM?

http://www.wolfhonden-online.nl/foru...hp?f=12&t=8406

Does anybody knows something about this ???
Old 23-06-2011, 00:37   #2
draggar

Wow, well, at least their results were good but it is very odd to see results like that.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 01:30   #3
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
http://www.wolfhonden-online.nl/foru...hp?f=12&t=8406

Does anybody knows something about this ???
Loco,

I spoke to a scientist at Missouri University who pioneered the DM testing in dogs recently. I am curious as to which labs conducted the DM testing. Missouri University owns the patent to the genetic DM testing, and has ONLY partnered with/granted a usage license to OFFA to offer this test to dogs, and because of this, cannot guarantee the results of other labs' results.

I am not saying that other laboratories are not accurate, but if you would like some answers, I suggest to repeat the DM tests on the dogs through OFFA, and then request additional information from OFFA if the tests return the same and the results are conflicting.

In the meantime, I will present this question to my contact when I speak to her again.

Last edited by yukidomari; 23-06-2011 at 01:37.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:01   #4
miran

Quote:
I am not saying that other laboratories are not accurate, but if you would like some answers, I suggest to repeat the DM tests on the dogs through OFFA, and then request additional information from OFFA if the tests return the same and the results are conflicting.
I think if the first test where by Missouri University than it is no use to do it by OFA because the buildings are just a few blocks away( 11 min. apart) from each other and they work together.
Or do you mean that the tests where done somewhere else and so maybe for a checkup doing it by them??
miran jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 11:06   #5
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka
Default DM/DM x DM/DM = N/DM?

Misty, you wrote:
""- Rambo C.W (DM/DM) x Chaddey Spod Dumbiera (N/N) produced a male which is N/N
- Rambo CW (DM/DM) x Bubka de New Flame produced a female which is N/N
- Sibir C.W.(DM/DM) x Bubka de New Flame produced a female which is N/N too

Filiation test were done, it's proved that the parents are the real parents.
Rambo has been tested twice, the 2 times the result was the same : DM/DM, it's the same for the descendants.

A problem was noticed by another breeder : a couple from free TWH produced a female which is carrier (DM/N).
Genetical test were donne too, to prouve that the parents are the real parents, and they are. ""

I think, it is not possible. Somewhere is mistake. I think human factor.....
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 12:19   #6
elf

Little typo: it's not "Chaddey Spod Dumbiera" but "Cynthia Spod Dumbiera".

Lorry de MLS is currently trying to get all blood samples needed for more investigation to be performed.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 12:56   #7
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
My question is were the tests done by the same facility or different ones? If it was different facilities who are unaffiliated then I would be worried.
Old 23-06-2011, 15:09   #8
Lorry - MLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
My question is were the tests done by the same facility or different ones? If it was different facilities who are unaffiliated then I would be worried.
Rambo a été testé 2 fois, une fois chez Laboklin en prise de sang, et par Daniela en salive
Sibir a été testé 1 fois, par Daniela en salive
Cynthia (dite Chaddey) prise de sang chez laboklin
Chee Yr wôck, prise de sang, chez Laboklin
Dheer'Syb et Ckaa'Loup-Mah, 2 fois, chez Laboklin avec prise de sang....

Par le biais de Hanka, avec qui je communique beaucoup par mails, j'ai proposé à Daniela de venir chez moi, quand elle sera en France, en Juillet, pour récupérer directement le sang de Rambo ....(et de tous les chiens qui l'intéresse, pourquoi pas ....)
Pour l'instant je ne sais pas si ce sera possible pour elle ...

Suite à une discussion avec Elf, j'ai également pris l'engagement de tout mettre en oeuvre pour que Rambo, Cyntia (Chaddey) et son fils, soient de nouveau prélevés .....
J'ai d'ores et déjà pris contact avec l'un des propriétaires (j'attends une réponse) et je vois l'autre propriétaire en Suisse, Dimanche....
Histoire à suivre ....
Lorry - MLS jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:17   #9
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by miran View Post
I think if the first test where by Missouri University than it is no use to do it by OFA because the buildings are just a few blocks away( 11 min. apart) from each other and they work together.
Or do you mean that the tests where done somewhere else and so maybe for a checkup doing it by them??
Miran,

Missouri U/OFFA test is the same. Missouri U has given OFFA the license to use their proprietary tests.

Yes, if they were done elsewhere, perhaps do it through OFFA and then if the results are still conflicting, OFFA/Missouri U researchers should try to answer questions regarding this.

But for now since the tests do not appear to have been done through OFFA, the scientists at Missouri U cannot attempt to answer any questions in this situation.

Last edited by yukidomari; 23-06-2011 at 18:19.
Old 23-06-2011, 19:17   #10
miran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Miran,

Missouri U/OFFA test is the same. Missouri U has given OFFA the license to use their proprietary tests.

Yes, if they were done elsewhere, perhaps do it through OFFA and then if the results are still conflicting, OFFA/Missouri U researchers should try to answer questions regarding this.

But for now since the tests do not appear to have been done through OFFA, the scientists at Missouri U cannot attempt to answer any questions in this situation.
As I understand the test where done by Laboklin so in that way I also advice to do the test again by OFA
miran jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:23   #11
yukidomari

But also, we must know whether the puppies of the litters were each individually confirmed to be from the purported parents, and not just 1 or 2 puppies and then assuming the rest must also be from the same litter.
Old 23-06-2011, 23:24   #12
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miran View Post
As I understand the test where done by Laboklin so in that way I also advice to do the test again by OFA
Many CSVs have been DM tested by Daniela at Prague University. All results of vlcaks from Poland (+ Lithuania?, Slovakia?, etc.) tested in Prague fit precisely into the pattern (n/n, n/dm, dm/dm) which indicates high validity of the testing procedures.

I wonder what's the statistical probability that a couple of dogs from the same kennel underwent the mutation?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 23:35   #13
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Many CSVs have been DM tested by Daniela at Prague University. All results of vlcaks from Poland (+ Lithuania?, Slovakia?, etc.) tested in Prague fit precisely into the pattern (n/n, n/dm, dm/dm) which indicates high validity of the testing procedures.

I wonder what's the statistical probability that a couple of dogs from the same kennel underwent the mutation?
Sure, other labs may also be accurate, but if you want OFFA scientists to answer any questions, you have to have the tests done through them, since they don't confirm others' results on their patented test.

But I agree that perhaps there's nothing for OFFA scientists to answer, that the problem is somewhere else (and not the tests nor the mode of inheritance).
Old 24-06-2011, 08:33   #14
michaelundinaeichhorn

I don´t know if Missouri was the first to invent a test and it is normal, that different research groups invent their own tests and sell them to commercial labs. As Bern University told me is the used test based on the gene research of a Swedish group.
I don´t know which test Prag is using.
Laboklin has the official permission to do rabies-titers for the import into the EU, what means, it is a lab that fits extremely high standarts and the work is controled on regular basis.
All results I know of fit the results of the parents, so if there is unregularity the right thing to do would be to contact the lab, ask them for their advise, do some paternity tests and - if paternity is positivly stated - let the tests be confirmed by another lab.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 13:58   #15
draggar

Quote:

Other factors will need to be looked at then. Was it just a plain muitation or could there have been other factors (mother's diet? genetics further back - maybe the recessive genes stay in a N/N dog but aren't seen?).
Old 24-06-2011, 14:02   #16
Morian

Send a message via Skype™ to Morian

Quote:

it means that not only test results must be checked, but authenticity of their pedigrees too (if their parents are really their parents )
Old 24-06-2011, 19:38   #17
lupis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Misty, you wrote:
""- Rambo C.W (DM/DM) x Chaddey Spod Dumbiera (N/N) produced a male which is N/N

Filiation test were done, it's proved that the parents are the real parents.
Rambo has been tested twice, the 2 times the result was the same : DM/DM, it's the same for the descendants.

A problem was noticed by another breeder : a couple from free TWH produced a female which is carrier (DM/N).
Genetical test were donne too, to prouve that the parents are the real parents, and they are. ""

I ask veterinary and he say too it is not possible. i not trust in it
lupis jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 23:30   #18
wolfin

Send a message via ICQ to wolfin Send a message via Skype™ to wolfin

Quote:

Poland dog are tested in Laboklin too, Lithuanian in OFFA too.

Last edited by wolfin; 24-06-2011 at 23:35.
wolfin jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 07:27   #19
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfin View Post
Poland dog are tested in Laboklin too, Lithuanian in OFFA too.
Sure, some were, but:
Quote:
Many CSVs have been DM tested by Daniela at Prague University.
I meant, wherever the dogs were tested - in Laboklin, OFA or in Prague, by saliva or blood samples, the results fit each other and the whole pattern. What's more - they confirn the earlier tests That's why saying that one lab's more reliable than another makes no sense.
The case considered here could be a mutation, a mistake, a miracle or a lie and the question is - which are more probable, and which less.

Last edited by Rona; 25-06-2011 at 07:47.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:28   #20
CDaniela
http://www.srdcervac.wbs.

- Rambo C.W (DM/DM) x Chaddey Spod Dumbiera (N/N) produced a male which is N/N

It isn´t possible.

CDaniela jest offline   Reply With Quote