Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Dog shows

Dog shows Our show successes, how to prepare a CzW, how to show him...

Old 06-07-2010, 22:51   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default AKC Group Classification

Right now the vlcak is tentatively classified by the AKC as a Herding Group breed. I am guessing because it has GSD ancestry - perhaps due also to how FCI classifies the breed?
In reality, the breed was designed to be a Border Patrol dog - not a sheep herding dog. That purpose fits into AKC's Working Group, not Herding.
Vlcaks are still in FSS - I would like to petition AKC to move them into the Working Group classification.
Anyone have comments? Support? For or against?
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:06   #2
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

I agree. They should be in Working, not Herding.
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 13:34   #3
Vicky

I totally agree and would support changing it. (If it would even mean anything, coming from someone who doesn't even own a CsV! haha)
Old 17-07-2010, 17:42   #4
Gypsy Wolf

<Grin> "OWN" a CsV? I thinks she owns ME! I think I like the "Working Group" because I have to WORK to keep up with her!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 17:44   #5
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Right now the vlcak is tentatively classified by the AKC as a Herding Group breed. I am guessing because it has GSD ancestry - perhaps due also to how FCI classifies the breed?
FCi have not "Working" group. CsW is in FCI Group I. - Sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs (except Swiss Cattle Dogs). See http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspx. FCI sorted breeds most according origin, not actually using. "Working breeds" are breeds from many FCI groups, they need for champion title some exams. But term "working breed" is not officially name by FCI.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 18:11   #6
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
FCi have not "Working" group. CsW is in FCI Group I. - Sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs (except Swiss Cattle Dogs). See http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspx. FCI sorted breeds most according origin, not actually using. "Working breeds" are breeds from many FCI groups, they need for champion title some exams. But term "working breed" is not officially name by FCI.
That's what I figured. Most of our "working group" breeds fall under FCI molossoids/pinschers, or the herding group. Pavel, do you think, in this case, it would be acceptable with the FCI and the Slovakian and Czech breed clubs for the AKC to switch the breed from the herding to the working group? It doesn't make too much difference now, since the FCI does not recognize the Foundation Stock Service of the AKC for pedigrees. But one day, when we have full AKC recognition and the FCI will reciprocate with us, I don't want there to be any problems.

Thanks!

Marcy
Old 18-07-2010, 20:06   #7
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
Pavel, do you think, in this case, it would be acceptable with the FCI and the Slovakian and Czech breed clubs for the AKC to switch the breed from the herding to the working group?
I dont know the sorting system of AKC. If you need some help or assistance, you can contact Czech and Slovakian Club and ask there directly.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote