Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 04-06-2010, 17:23   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Calculation of Wolf blood?

So I was sent a link calculating Luna's pedigree in terms of percentages.
http://www.wolfdog.org/php/modules.php?op=modload&name=WolfdogDB&file=wright& lan=eng&wid=12489&maxdepth=10

According to this calculation, she has almost 30% wolf blood. Is this true? It seems a bit high for a vlcak so many generations away, with so many GSDs in the foundation of the breed. I would think her actual inheritance of wolf blood would be about 3% at most?
How is this calculated? And at this point, is the percentage of wolf blood even applicable as they are no longer a "hybrid"?
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:06   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
http://www.wolfdog.org/php/modules.php?op=modload&name=WolfdogDB&file=wright& lan=eng&wid=12489&maxdepth=10

According to this calculation, she has almost 30% wolf blood. Is this true? It seems a bit high for a vlcak so many generations away, with so many GSDs in the foundation of the breed. I would think her actual inheritance of wolf blood would be about 3% at most?
How is this calculated? And at this point, is the percentage of wolf blood even applicable as they are no longer a "hybrid"?
See http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8749

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:29   #3
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:

Yes it is true, I did not believe it at first, as the American Wolfdog is 50% at generation 1 and 25 % at generation 2... = /2 for every generation....

But CsV was not breed like AWD, as allot of ( CsV ) and ( Hybrids ) was mix whit each other (and also whit wolf.)

You can se here on Blood line nr 4, GSD is not used at all...

Quote:
Bloodline No 4
Breeding year :1972

Origin: Bratislava section of the border guard near Malacky
Responsible breeder: Vice Commander Major Frantisek Rosik

Male Wolf: Carpatian Wolf, Sarik

Female Hybrid: Generation F3 , Xela Z Pohranicni Straze ,
from Bloodline No 1

Female Wolfdog: Urta ZZ Pohranicni
You can look here on Hronsek >>> http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tchecoslovaque.com/cgi-bin/wolf_blood.py?dog_id=9076

Look at "Shortest distance" to Wolf, it say 7 generations.
Look at "Shortest distance" to GSD, it say 8 generations.

One must also remember if you mix 30% CsV to 30% CsV the puppy´s will be 30 % to, but one more generation from wolf....

30+30=60/2 = 30% wolf blood

but as in AWD, if you mix whit dog that has 0% wolf blood, it will look like this...

50% hybrid X dog 0% = 50+0=50 /2 = 25 % wolf blood.

But remember it is just mathematically and the breeding selection and generations make a AWD at 25% and CsV on 25% not the same thing, as it might be 7 generation of selection on CsV but only 2 on the AWD.

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 04-06-2010 at 18:35.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:43   #4
buidelwolf

Hello Lunas Mom,

Wolfblood percentage is just a mathematical thing as Mikael just explained and you can read a lot about it in f.e. http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8749 which Rona quoted.

The mother of your dog has a mathematical wolfblood percentage of 27.48%, see: this link
The father of your dog has a mathematical wolfblood percentage of 29.17% see this link
So theoretically your dog has a wolfblood percentage of (27.48% + 29.17%) / 2 = 28,32% , which is about the average (about 27 - 28%). Doesn't say a lot (almost nothing) about the level of wolfish characteristics.

Last edited by buidelwolf; 04-06-2010 at 18:50.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 19:06   #5
Gypsy Wolf

Thank you very much for the info. I read the thread you referred me to, and it seems the "conflict" in my mind is the "American" way of looking at "wolf blood" percentage and the early breeding selection in the CSV.
At this point, the CSV is considered a DOG so the idea of it having wolf blood is no different than any of our other breeds as they are all, technically, descended from wolves.
I guess the idea is to explain some of the unique traits seen in the CSV versus dogs that are farther removed from wild ancestry.
Old 04-06-2010, 19:13   #6
Gypsy Wolf

Of course when I discuss it with people, I do tend to say, based on the "American" way of looking at wolf blood, that Luna is really no more than about 3% "wolf"... for me, I sort of think of "wolf blood" as "pure wolf blood" - once there is a mix, even though it has a percentage of wolf blood, it is still a mix, so I think of "wolf blood" as the amount of "pure wolf" in her.
It also reinforces to the public that she is NOT a wolf-hybrid, she is a dog and 3% sounds "friendlier" to them and 30%.
Most of the time I tend to describe the vlcak as a breed that "looks like a wolf, acts like a shepherd."
People are more likely to interact with her when they think she has little to no wolf in her - initially they suspect she is a hybrid and stay away, but when I describe her as a DOG that just happens to look wolfy they want to pet her.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50   #7
Fede86
Entità cinofila da web...

Quote:
It also reinforces to the public that she is NOT a wolf-hybrid, she is a dog and 3% sounds "friendlier" to them and 30%.
I may be wrong... but I don't think that the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog really has 30% of wolf blood. I think the actual percentage, from a genetic point of view, is much lower than that. I remember someone on the Italian forum said he did a genetic test on his wolfdogs and it showed that the actual wolf blood percentage was lower than 4%, so I guess that when you tell people your dog is no more 3% wolf you are probably not lying.
I guess that at this point of development of the breed, and after so many generations from the last pure wolf, they should be considered DOGS. They may be a “difficult” and peculiar breed, yes, but they are still dogs.
And if we actually portrayed them as such, there would be many less fanatical people getting them because they want a “wolf”. I think that it would have been better for the sake of the breed if it’s name was “Czechoslovakian Shepherd” instead of “Czechoslovakian Wolfdog”, but this is of course just a personal opinion

Last edited by Fede86; 09-06-2010 at 11:01.
Fede86 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:46   #8
elf

Lunas Mom, take a look at Belyaev (foxes) and Tryon (rats) works about effects of selection, it would help to relativise this %.

Quote:
I remember someone on the Italian forum said he did a genetic test on his wolfdogs and it showed that the actual wolf blood percentage was lower than 4%
Must be a post on a 1st April
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12   #9
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post

Must be a post on a 1st April
So it seems.... if wolf genes evaporated, then GSD must have disappeared as well... I wonder if there are still any genes in our dogs?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:24   #10
Fede86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
So it seems.... if wolf genes evaporated, then GSD must have disappeared as well... I wonder if there are still any genes in our dogs?
I really wouldn’t know, I’m not an expert in genetics… I guess that a breed has the genes that are passed with the breeding: the genes bringing the traits you breed for are passed, the others are lost. Since in the beginning they bred for character more than for wolfy appearance, it wouldn’t surprise me if the genes of the German Shepherd had taken the upper hand. This matter makes me curious, I think I should test my dog and see, but I’m not really expecting to find much wolf blood in him. Then again, maybe I’m wrong… I’m just wondering, since I can’t see much wolf in the AVERAGE Czechoslovakian wolfdog. Of course there are exceptions
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede86 View Post
I really wouldn’t know, I’m not an expert in genetics… I guess that a breed has the genes that are passed with the breeding: the genes bringing the traits you breed for are passed, the others are lost. Since in the beginning they bred for character more than for wolfy appearance, it wouldn’t surprise me if the genes of the German Shepherd had taken the upper hand. This matter makes me curious, I think I should test my dog and see, but I’m not really expecting to find much wolf blood in him. Then again, maybe I’m wrong… I’m just wondering, since I can’t see much wolf in the AVERAGE Czechoslovakian wolfdog. Of course there are exceptions

Well, personally I don't really care how wofish my dog is or what her genotype is..., but... WHY, in your opinion, do CSV play wolves in films? I bet it'd be much easier to train a GSD than a CSV to act wolf....

Old 09-06-2010, 12:41   #12
Angelika

Quote:
... I wonder if there are still any genes in our dogs?

I lately discovered some human characteristics in mine
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 14:30   #13
elf

Fede, indeed you are talking about "Wolves genes" (not Wolfblood -which is just a math number-).
You know wolves and dogs are very very close regarding DNA sharing, and sometimes only a very little change in the genome may lead to huge structural/functionnal changes, so it's not expectable to be mesured lineary (like a %). Those kind of researches are rather new and are possible with use of DNA chip + computer analisis, you can make a google search with these words to go deeper: "Genome wide SNP haplotype dog domestication".
To complicate more, genes tend not to work alone but into what we call a 'genetic regulatory network' (GNR), this is also highly non linear processes. And in addition, you have other levels of regulation at "expression time" (ARN modulation by proteines is an exemple) => same genes -> different expressions. So, as you guess, no straight conclusion like this possible.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 16:36   #14
Fede86

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Fede, indeed you are talking about "Wolves genes" (not Wolfblood -which is just a math number-).
You know wolves and dogs are very very close regarding DNA sharing, and sometimes only a very little change in the genome may lead to huge structural/functionnal changes, so it's not expectable to be mesured lineary (like a %). Those kind of researches are rather new and are possible with use of DNA chip + computer analisis, you can make a google search with these words to go deeper: "Genome wide SNP haplotype dog domestication".
To complicate more, genes tend not to work alone but into what we call a 'genetic regulatory network' (GNR), this is also highly non linear processes. And in addition, you have other levels of regulation at "expression time" (ARN modulation by proteines is an exemple) => same genes -> different expressions. So, as you guess, no straight conclusion like this possible.
Thank you for your explanation, I'll ask more specific information to the person who wrote about the genetic analysis on his dogs to understant what exactly he was referring to when he said they turned out to be less than 4% wolf, because from what you write it probably wasn't what I thought it was. As I said, I'm no expert regarding those matters. Anyway I was first of all talking about what I see: the AVERAGE Czechoslovakian wolfdog looks very different from a wolf to me. If I had to tell how much wolf I see in the average CWD using a percentage, it would not be nearly as high as a 30% (one third wolf!). But then, someone else may think they look MORE than 30% wolf. Again, I'm conveying a PERSONAL opinion, not stating a universal truth. Maybe I'm just sick of people owning Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs and calling them "wolves"

Last edited by Fede86; 09-06-2010 at 16:40.
Old 09-06-2010, 17:08   #15
loco
Non active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede86 View Post
Maybe I'm just sick of people owning Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs and calling them "wolves"
At this point, you do not stand alone .
Groette Martine.
Old 09-06-2010, 18:27   #16
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post

I lately discovered some human characteristics in mine
We've discovered this long time ago

Old 09-06-2010, 18:59   #17
Gypsy Wolf

Statistically, I was looking at the number of GSDs and wolves that were used as foundation stock for our breed. 48 GSDs and 5 wolves. 5 is not 30% of 48.
Also, per one of the above posts, as the "best of the best" of the CSVs were selected to be bred, likely it was an overwhelming amount of GSD genetics that were selected for. Yes, they look very wolfy (though a lot of GSDs do too) phenotypically, most "wolf" behavioral characteristics were selected AGAINST - such as flight response, shyness, nervousness, independence, etc. Most of the desireable behavioral characteristics that were selected FOR were GSD traits - courage, biddability, social/pack drive, etc.
The wolf and dog genome are almost identical as dogs, obviously ARE wolves - albeit domesticated. Our advantage is that we know what wolf blood we used, and there may be some DNA characteristics (mitochondrial or other) specific to our Carpathian wolves. Certainy there are differences morphologically. So perhaps in the future we can recognize those markers and determine EXACTLY how much "wolf" is in any given CSV.
Until then I will just enjoy my DOG.
Oh, just because CSVs are often used to portray wolves, doesn't necessarily mean they look exactly like wolves... here in the U.S. I know of many film shots of "wolves" are played by sable GSDs, Malamutes and sometimes even Belgian shepherds! I am hoping that having a CSV available for film work will help change that, as my own dogs have been in multiple film projects - in other roles of course - they've played Police K9s or guard dogs and even "crippled" dogs in need of a doggie stroller...
Old 09-06-2010, 19:49   #18
Rona
Distinguished Member

I found out that not many of the so-called 'ordinary people' (i.e. not dog lovers) see the wolfishness of our dogs. Most expect a dog on a leash and they see a dog. It's usually children, who say: 'Look, this dogs looks like a wolf".

In our city lives a man who owns (probably illegallly) a real Carpathian wolf, a truly beautiful animal called Burek. I met them once walking at the river. We started talking and the man told me I was the THIRD (sic!) person in five years who recognized Burek was a wolf.

I asked him if he was not afraid that I'd report him, but he laughed and said that in such a case he'd tell the City Guards or Police that Burek was a CSV without a pedigree and nobody would question that.

And now a question: a dog or a wolf?

Last edited by Rona; 09-06-2010 at 20:09.
Old 09-06-2010, 21:11   #19
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:

And now a question: a dog or a wolf?

Hmmmm, I think it is nor a wolf or a dog...

I think it is a Wolfdog

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 09-06-2010, 21:45   #20
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Hmmmm, I think it is nor a wolf or a dog...
I think it is a Wolfdog
Very best regards / Mikael
Good answer! It's a CSV