Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 08-03-2008, 22:14   #1
Rona
Distinguished Member

Thumbs up A wolfdog on wheels!

This is a story of Freyr z Peronówki. She had a bad accident more than a year ago. She jumped over a really high and solid fence, ran out into the street and was hit by a car. Most CSV owners know how determined and ingenious the wolfdog can be when he decides to do something...

Just after the accident Freyr’s owner - Macia and her family went through a difficult time searching for most competent vets, x-raying Freyr and listening to several mutually contradictory diagnoses. With the help of the breeders they got in touch with the country best orthopaedic vet surgeons. They operated on Freyr and managed to put her spine together. Luckily the spinal cord was not broken and after a few months Freyr theoretically was able to walk. The period after the operation was really hard – just imagine keeping a full of energy, young wolfdog lie still for MANY days and nights… The owners took turns at her bed, all the family were involved for several months. Freyr after the operation:

Later, all available rehabilitation methods (exercises, massages, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, etc.) were applied to help Freyr learn how to walk, but she got used to moving on her front legs and this appeared to be permanent. In summer Macia was on one of the camps and I suppose some of you met her and Freyr there.

Wolfdogs ARE very bright, but it seemed almost impossible to persuade Freyr to start using all four legs… Experts in rehabilitation gave up - said it was a mental problem rather than physical, since physically there was nothing wrong with her.

But the owners persevered: they ordered a special trolley to make Freyr move on 4 legs. She didn’t like it at first but then she started enjoying moving more quickly. Now in the morning she rushes to the hall and stands by her trolley signalling that she is ready for the exercises… She’s been using her back legs more and more smoothly and rhythmically and getting them stronger every day. I hope that soon she’ll be able to run, or at least walk on her own…

Look at the most optimistic pictures of a limping wolfdog … This was the third walk, Macia says Freyr’s movement has already improved since then!

and some films:

I’d like to congratulate Freyr a fantastic, loyal family and Macia - a happy and optimistic wolfdog like Freyr - she returns all the love she receives with all her heart!

I know there are many great people among CSVs owners, who look after their dogs – sometimes sick, old or difficult. But I wanted to share Freyr’s story with you as an example of great friendship, loyalty and strong will of a wolfdog and her pack.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote