Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 01-11-2009, 21:39   #1
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)

One of my friends recently had her second GSD (she had another, totally unrelated GSD with the same problem 4 years ago) diagnosed with this disorder, and now must give medication and carefully monitor feeding for the rest of the dog's life:
http://www.epi4dogs.com/

With some research, I read that this disease is seen more frequently in the GSD than other breeds. So, it made me wonder...has this disorder been seen in the CSV?
Old 01-11-2009, 22:35   #2
mijke

Unfortunately this disorder is also known in SWH and CsW breed.

I also personal know in Holland an import CsW male from CZ, who was euthanized because of this disease.

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11   #3
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
Unfortunately this disorder is also known in SWH and CsW breed.

I also personal know in Holland an import CsW male from CZ, who was euthanized because of this disease.
Thanks...

That is sad. It's a scary disease...not completely predictable from genetics (but still linked somehow), and coming in so many degrees, from mild to severe. Something else to keep in mind.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32   #4
wera

the brother of my femaldog Chenoa, it has also

Chenoa self has a serious heart problem

and an aunt of the two (same mother line) have epi too.

Hunde kommen, wenn sie gerufen werden.
TWH`S nehmen die Mitteilung zur Kenntnis und kommen gelegentlich darauf zurück...
wera jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 20:21   #5
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
There is no need to euthanise a dog in such a case. You can easily deal with the disease by giving a dog 60-90 grammes of pancreas for every 10 kg of a dog. Just get sure the thing is really pancreas, not spleen Hope this info will be helpfull... There is a friend dealing with this problem on her GSD... Pancreas (they can be also freezed) work much better than medicine in that case.

Does anyone know any facts about the reasons of the disease? Can it be genetical?

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 09:29   #6
elf

J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Mar-Apr;24(2):450-2.
Heritability of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in German Shepherd dogs.

Westermarck E, Saari SA, Wiberg ME.

Department of Equine and Small Animal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 57, 00014 Helsinki, Finland.
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Several studies have revealed that exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) is an inherited disease in German Shepherd Dogs (GSDs). Pedigree analyses have suggested an autosomal recessive inheritance model.

OBJECTIVE: Test mating of 2 dogs with EPI.

ANIMALS: A sire and dam purebred GSD both with EPI and a litter of 6 puppies.

METHODS
: Test mating and long-term follow-up of offspring. The pancreas was biopsied via laparotomy on 26 occasions. Serum trypsin-like immunoreactivity was measured. Study was approved by Animal Ethics Committee.

RESULTS: During the 12-year study period only 2 of the 6 offsprings developed pancreatic acinar atrophy (PAA). In 1 puppy, end-stage PAA and in the other puppy partial PAA was diagnosed.

CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL IMPORTANCE: PAA is not a congenital disease in GSDs. This study provided evidence that PAA is not inherited in a simple autosomal recessive fashion.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote