Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42   #21
Shadowlands

Thanks everyone for your experiences/ advice/ recommendations etc. I got hold of a rake like Tassle mentioned and it is working a treat - Shadow loves it and turns herself around to get the 'favourite' bits combed . I decided against the furminator since she was past the 'coming out in clumps' stage that many of you said you used it for, plus I couldn't source one locally.

Thanks again (and a big howl of thanks from Shadow) x
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 22:29   #22
Tassle

Glad you got one......you need to do before and after pictures now, compete with removed hair!!
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29   #23
Shadowlands

That would have been a good idea, but it's a bit late now...

Got almost a bag of hair off her over the last 3 days (one of the bags you put veggies in in the supermarket) - she is much happier
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47   #24
Tassle

Ahh well - there will always be next year!!!
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 13:56   #25
Shadowlands

If my sieve brain remembers...
Old 07-05-2011, 00:09   #26
Vicky

I can't say from exact experience with CsVs, but with grooming experience with many double coated dogs (including my own husky) I'd say brushing a dog like this, that is primarily kept indoors, IS necessary. The problem is, dogs/wolves outside get soaking wet in the rain and often go for a nice swim here & there. They also rub up against things like trees and bushes. This all helps get the undercoat out. With house dogs, they don't have that same experience, especially since most owners would prefer if their dogs NOT get soaked in the rain. This is why brushing is necessary, if the dog isn't getting wet to help the undercoat push out, it stays on the dog and builds up, which can get worse over time. Like I said, no personal CsV experience, but it's been the same with all the various double coated breeds I've worked with!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10   #27
Silvester

Originally posted by Vicky :
I'd say brushing a dog like this, that is primarily kept indoors, IS necessary. The problem is, dogs/wolves outside get soaking wet in the rain and often go for a nice swim here & there. They also rub up against things like trees and bushes. This all helps get the undercoat out. With house dogs, they don't have that same experience, especially since most owners would prefer if their dogs NOT get soaked in the rain. This is why brushing is necessary, if the dog isn't getting wet to help the undercoat push out, it stays on the dog and builds up, which can get worse over time.

Yeah, Vicky I agree - that´s just what I have told before in my postings before :

Originally posted by Silvester:
Who is brushing wild canides outside in the forest ? and

Originally posted by Silvester:
If you have the dog most or all time inside house it might be a little different,...!

You also told:
Originally posted by Vicky :
Like I said, no personal CsV experience,...

Ok, my experience with Csv ( now 15 years ) is that even if kept all time inside house it is not like you tell about
...if the dog isn't getting wet to help the undercoat push out, it stays on the dog and builds up, which can get worse over time.

This might be true for the breeds you know,like Husky - but Csv normally don`t build up undercoat because of keeping inside house, they only do loose their hair constantly over the whole year ... and a lot of hair, both the upper hair and undercoat too.

So you need good stuff for house-cleaning, a lot of humour and a wife who tolerates that... best you have all this three things together!

Best regards, Silvester
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 21:50   #28
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Well I spoke too soon!!

Our pup started to lose a lot more fur (got warmer recently), more than I thought he had, so I took the Furminator to him and it worked really well!!

Last edited by yukidomari; 10-05-2011 at 22:01.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52   #29
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Yuki - we have a saying "Don't praise the day before the evening!" and it is absolutely valid concerning wolfdogs ;o)
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28   #30
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Yuki - we have a saying "Don't praise the day before the evening!" and it is absolutely valid concerning wolfdogs ;o)
Very, very true

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:41   #31
Silvester

Originally posted by saschia :
Yuki - we have a saying "Don't praise the day before the evening!"

Yeah, that´s true indeed - and in Germany we have a little change / variation of this sentence, it´s called in translation :

Don´t praise the cook before the dessert is served !

Best regards, Uli alias Silvester
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote