Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 26-07-2010, 11:22   #1
Blitzen

Default Agility with a CSV

Hello again,

Although I would like to participate in Schutzhund with my future CSV, I know that I will need to find a special dog to do this with, so in case the pup I choose is not so talented in this area, I am keeping an open mind for other sports too. So, I would like to know if anybody has been successful in agility with their CSV, if so, how their training differed from the training of those training, for example, a collie, and how successful they were at it.

Oh and photos or videos would be brilliant!

Thanks!
Blitzen jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 21:30   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up

Here you go
Very best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 27-07-2010 at 21:42.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 22:04   #3
jmvdwiel

Hi,

I am also training agility with my CWD(barany), we are going into the 3th season now
He loves the training, and is willing to do al the obstakels, We are stil training on the weave with the channel wire but we have al the 12 poles now in one line. The tyre is stil a little bit difficult.
The only thing we need is some good food and not to many new dogs, by that way we have a very good time training agilty.
And we are going to continue it

greetings Judith
jmvdwiel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:26   #4
Blitzen

Wow, thanks! Those a great pictures. Is he your dog Mikael? What do you use for motivation - food? toy? praise? I see the dog is playing with a bit of rope in one picture. Is he toy motivated?

Thanks Judith. So you just train with food? Is Barany motivated by a game with a toy as well, or does he just want food? Just trying to get a feel for what turns CSVs on!
Old 28-07-2010, 10:36   #5
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

hi :-)

i am training my csv for agility..he loves it i also have a collie retired from agility now(we used to compete) altho he has a new lease of life sinse ive been training my csv so might bring him out of retirement.

my csv is very food driven and loves particular toys of his,where as my collie does it for the love of working ,my csv needs to be 'chaneled' but when in the mood adores it

as mentioned before regarding schutzhund csv's can tell the difference between training and real situations,imo im not sure if it is the right sort of work for them...im thinking of working trials as it combines the 3 things my csv enjoys most :-)
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:22   #6
sssmok
Gorthan's WeReWoLf

Send a message via Skype™ to sssmok Send Message via Gadu Gadu to sssmok

Some photos of Jabberwock:

We train at home right now. He trains with us for toy or just for fun

Forum to nie rzeczywistość...
A to, że milczę, nie znaczy, że nie mam nic do powiedzenia.
sssmok jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 19:27   #7
jmvdwiel

Barany is best motivated for work with food (it has to be good food, not just his normal kibble), I didn't do tug of war to often because he is a little bit hard with his mouth.

He can bring the bal back a copple of times but also food motivated, he likes to do it a copple of times, he wil never be a BC

We train at a dog club, with 4 clubs of 4-8 dogs at each corner of the field. So at a normal training there are about 12-20 other dog at the field that can distract him. The other dogs are the biggest challange

Also at the training he is not going to work as driven as a BC. He does do what I ask him to do, and he has a lot of fun doing it. But don't ask him to jump the same obstakes 4 times than he is going to make a mess out of it.
He works the best the first 20 minutes, after that he is becomming a little bit tired and more easily distracted. But maybe that is going to be better in the future

For me the fun is more important than if we can be good enough for real competition.
Old 28-07-2010, 20:06   #8
Blitzen

Thanks for that, and the great pictures. I'm understanding the differences between a CSV and other typical agility breeds better now
Old 28-07-2010, 21:02   #9
Witek
Plessowy wilczak

hello, i and Astarte also traning agility, but it is just the begining.
We don't work on food, but on toy.
This is short film from one part of our trening.

For now the bigest problem is apport- Astarte don't want to give her toy back, but we still work on it
Old 28-07-2010, 21:15   #10
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I have done agility (dogs were much better than their handler!) and now schutzhund with my dogs - I think my experiences have been similar to those described above. Lots of interest in the first 20-30 minutes, food is an excellent motivation, toys a little bit less so, but still a good motivator. My dogs are reliable - they will almost always follow commands, each and every time - but not with the same "passion" as a GSD or Malinois in SchH or a BC in agility. I think the funniest experiences are in the warm weather that we have where I live. After a short time, my CSVs will give me a look as they lazily follow commands like "are you a crazy woman? why must we play these games in this heat? it's much better for us to lie under that shady tree..." It doesn't happen this way in cool weather - and the other breeds seem as though they will be passionate until they drop of heat exhaustion...the only difference is in scent detection work. My dogs are always passionate about that.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:53   #11
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Ikala spod Dumbiera

Old 14-12-2010, 13:11   #12
Witek
Plessowy wilczak

We are still working, making a lot of mistakes, but we like runing

Old 14-12-2010, 23:07   #13
Martab
Distinguished Member

Wow! All the pictures and videos posted above prove that really good results can be achieved!

We also made agility until he was almost 1 year (low level "puppy" things…in the video you can see the first "steps" starting from the easiest "White Field", then the "Yellow Field" etc..till the most complete and "difficult", which is not in the video), and he really loved it. Afterwards, when he began to grow up we changed sport and we opted for IPO training.
What I noticed is that they learn everything more rapidly than other breeds…but they are not as reliable as other breed … if they decide that they want to follow a butterfly it's really difficult to make them concentrate on the training. But I believe that it's a really good training for the dog and for building up a good relationship.

I also believe that it's a sport particularly indicated for dogs who need to become more self-confident

Marta & GlockArian
Martab jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 00:12   #14
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunksia&witgor View Post
We are still working, making a lot of mistakes, but we like runing
Looks like professionals to me Good work

Best regards / Mikael
Old 17-12-2010, 17:24   #15
Witek
Plessowy wilczak

Quote:
Afterwards, when he began to grow up we changed sport and we opted for IPO training.
You can not make those two things together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Looks like professionals to me Good work
Thank you But i never thought that agility is so dificulte sport. All this changes sides, timing...
I don't know how abut others wolfdogs, but Astarte hates when I make mistakes (for examples when i told her too late what to do) and try to find something better to do She is terrible fast and i'm too slow for her

And the last trening before snow

Old 17-12-2010, 17:52   #16
Martab
Distinguished Member

Quote:
You can not make those two things together?
Not really unfortunately...Ipo work is three times a week (and in another place with different helpers); moreover, when you train a young dog I believe you have to concentrate with one method.
He is two ears now. When he will be 3-4 years we will surely thing about re-starting agility .... all the above pictures make me miss that kind of energy work

Marta & GlockArian
Old 17-12-2010, 18:11   #17
Witek
Plessowy wilczak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martab View Post
Not really unfortunately...Ipo work is three times a week (and in another place with different helpers); moreover, when you train a young dog I believe you have to concentrate with one method.
He is two ears now. When he will be 3-4 years we will surely thing about re-starting agility .... all the above pictures make me miss that kind of energy work
Time is a really problem. I wish we could make searching people trening, but it's too far from us and i don't have enough time to go there.

But whay you think that ipo and agility are soo difrent method? I think both of those things are about developing hunting instinct, obidance and contact with owner. I know dogs who train ipo and agility together and don't have any problem with that.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:25   #18
Martab
Distinguished Member

Quote:
But whay you think that ipo and agility are soo difrent method? I think both of those things are about developing hunting instinct, obidance and contact with owner. I know dogs who train ipo and agility together and don't have any problem with that.
You are right, you could do both of them together..the "problem" is that where I live there isn't any training field in which you can do both.
And if you change helper/training field, you necessarily change also method of work...
but I agree that you could do both if you have the same helper/training field

Marta & GlockArian
Old 08-04-2011, 21:28   #19
jmvdwiel

Bárány Crying Wolf doing Agility 4th season

https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...52257471644194

https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...53343436578178

https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...54539450833954

next movie: Barry is getting tired ad the end of the lesson
https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...56288550599426

2 sets of weaves are next to each other, the weave from Barry has 2 strips at the beginning and 2 at the end.
https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...57684125478882

https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...60894311762050

and here are some more pictures from yesterday's training
https://picasaweb.google.com/marlouv...eid?feat=email#

Last edited by jmvdwiel; 08-04-2011 at 21:37.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37   #20
Czertice
Rakša

We tried agility as well:]