Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > _Administration

_Administration Questions connected with Wolfdog.org, database and other technical matters....

Old 05-10-2011, 10:12   #41
koboldine

I don't think that this decision is wise.
From scientific point of view - it's deadly wrong, because genetic rules are figured out by human are not nature's rules, neccessarily.
There still is a chance that genes undergo mutation - in either way.

Furthermore, it will include - and exclude - potential breeding "material" only just because of assumption.
And it will not force people to pay for an official test, on the contrary, why take (and pay for) a test if my dog is already marked as N/? - when it's enough to breed with...

You have put so many hours and work into this data base - with this decision it will become less valueable, less reliable. That would be a great loss for our breed.

Please, at least re-think this decision, I know this is a private page and data base but you have many users who - like you - are interested in the future of the Czech.Wolfdogs.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02   #42
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by woland77 View Post
This choice is wrong from scientific point view, and agaist international accreditation rule's.
Between Mendel laws and and the exact match of a gene transmitted, thera are human hand, and potential error, or mistake.
Is for this than International Accreditation Law ask for every animal (not only dog), ufficial test result. Only with this rules genetic selection can be free from mistake,fraud.
Basing on this we can not publish ANY results because even the "official" results are not 100% sure. There is a problem with the OFFICIAL laboratory Vetlabor which made mistakes while testing the probes. But EVEN the Laboklin makes mistakes and this week we received new results of a dog whose owners received the results N/N but the dogs is N/DM (he was tested for MH instead of DM).

If we can not be sure that even the OFFICIAL results are 100% clear of "human hand" why we should post ANY results?
Remember that the same apply to HD results - they are ALWAYS subjective. Sure they meassure the angles but still there is sometimes even 20% differences between vets in one country.

You will NEVER be sure if a person will not make a "mistake". There will be always a small percetage of possible errors.

But even OFFA makes the same as we do - if the parents are tested by OFFA the puppies are treated the same way like we do. If there is a parentage test the puppies will even receive OFFICIAL certificartes WITHOUT testing. And they really know that they are doing...

About mutations: they exist but the possibility that they appear is so small that they are pased over. Only here of forum people try to explain every abnormality with "mutattion".
admin jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05   #43
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboldine View Post
I don't think that this decision is wise.
From scientific point of view - it's deadly wrong, because genetic rules are figured out by human are not nature's rules, neccessarily.
There still is a chance that genes undergo mutation - in either way.
OFFA tested about 20.000 dogs - there was not even ONE muttation. It is why they give certificates for the puppies that they are "free" when the parents are tested and free.

It is made by the most known laboratory. Believe me - they would not make it of they will have ANY doubts that it is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
What is also important - and especially now - is to keep in consideration that you can infer the genetics of a pup from the official results of it's ancestors only if you are sure about the parentage. Because otherwise all Czechoslovak wolfdogs are still BB in theory. And of course, it does not rule out mutations.
Yes, thats right. And especially the "unofficial" results can help to correct it. We had some cases where the puppies of a DM/DM dog get the result N/N. Almost nobody cared about it - they were sure that it is OK (because of "mutation"). But it was NOT. In all every case it was mistake made by the laboratory.
Another possible explanation of such cases is that the parentage is not OK.
If the owners have "unofficial" information which will be different than the results they will receive it can force them to make more investigation - to test the parentage or to repeat the DM-test. If will help to clear such cases.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12   #44
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
What about the puppies of "unofficial" dogs?
No - it is only for one generation. One forward and one back.
Alrready now we were able to find out several DM-carriers what is important for the owners because the dogs do not live anymore and can not be tested - buy owners of their puppies know not there there is a possibility that their dogs can be also carriers.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28   #45
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Maybe you also can give HD/ED results based on the test off the parents ???.
There is a basic difference between HD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygenetic) and PRA/dwarf/DM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogenetic)....
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04   #46
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

http://offa.org/dna_cbp.html

Above is the link to OFFA's policy on "Clear by Parentage" - maybe it would be useful to put a similar mark "CPB" by dogs who are clear by "official" results from parents - "unofficial" seems to imply results are only those reported by owners (with no official papers/links to back it up) - I think ALL posted health results should stem originally from verified results.

* One other thing that is interesting to note is that all dogs (mother/father/puppy) must be DNA identity profiled to have clear by parentage, to prove they are actually related - so we don't accidentally register mixes...

Last edited by GalomyOak; 05-10-2011 at 12:07.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36   #47
loco
Non active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
There is a basic difference between HD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygenetic) and PRA/dwarf/DM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogenetic)....
,..................... !!!
But it makes me happy you also know .
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39   #48
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Yes, thats right. And especially the "unofficial" results can help to correct it. We had some cases where the puppies of a DM/DM dog get the result N/N. Almost nobody cared about it - they were sure that it is OK (because of "mutation"). But it was NOT. In all every case it was mistake made by the laboratory.
Well, the probability of revert mutation (one from wrong to the right allelle) really is infinitisimmal. But, mutation from right to wrong is possible, although usually not recognized by standardized tests (the one which test for a certain mutation, which is easier than to sequence whole gene of interest to see if abnormalities apper). So you can explain a sudden presence of new phenotype by a mutation, although the probability is still very small.

What I could agree with would be not "DM/N, unofficial result", but "this dog should test DM/N based on parent/offspring results".
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:41   #49
woland77
Gran figl de putt Member

Quote:
Basing on this we can not publish ANY results because even the "official" results are not 100% sure. There is a problem with the OFFICIAL laboratory Vetlabor which made mistakes while testing the probes. But EVEN the Laboklin makes mistakes and this week we received new results of a dog whose owners received the results N/N but the dogs is N/DM (he was tested for MH instead of DM).

If we can not be sure that even the OFFICIAL results are 100% clear of "human hand" why we should post ANY results?
Remember that the same apply to HD results - they are ALWAYS subjective. Sure they meassure the angles but still there is sometimes even 20% differences between vets in one country.

You will NEVER be sure if a person will not make a "mistake". There will be always a small percetage of possible errors.

But even OFFA makes the same as we do - if the parents are tested by OFFA the puppies are treated the same way like we do. If there is a parentage test the puppies will even receive OFFICIAL certificartes WITHOUT testing. And they really know that they are doing...

About mutations: they exist but the possibility that they appear is so small that they are pased over. Only here of forum people try to explain every abnormality with "mutattion".
Nothing are 100% clear, but if we publish only official test, one for each dog, step by step, any errors will be revealed soon. If we start to deduce the transmission of genes, as Mendelian, we can make mistake to people of Wolfodog. Off course ufficial aboratory cane make error, but laboratory must answer for their mistakes, in law contest. This is not my think, is International Rules of Accreditation about zootechnical lab.
You can ask here: is official italian istitution for laboratory rules on Breeding, human healt, food and more...and they take international rules...
we have those information from this institut..
woland77 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:43   #50
mijke

Quote:
….. Furthermore, it will include - and exclude - potential breeding "material" only just because of assumption.
And it will not force people to pay for an official test, on the contrary, why take (and pay for) a test if my dog is already marked as N/? - when it's enough to breed with...
Quote:
Nothing are 100% clear, but if we publish only official test, one for each dog, step by step, any errors will be revealed soon. If we start to deduce the transmission of genes, as Mendelian, we can make mistake to people of Wolfodog. Off course ufficial aboratory cane make error, but laboratory must answer for their mistakes, in law contest...
I agree with you

I am not happy at all with publishing unofficial test results for several reasons that others did already mention.
And I also am not happy with labs that accept swabs of owners (without checking chip by an independent vet) for DNA tests…. (Owners can make mistakes and breeders have more chances to cheat)

And based on this a lot more mistakes can be made (wrong conclusions) with publishing unofficial results

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 00:35   #51
buidelwolf

Strange,

Unofficial testresults are published but I uploaded the official DM (N/N) testresult of my dog several times past weeks in PDF (also sent it by e-mail) and still no mention of it. Not really motivating.

Last edited by buidelwolf; 06-10-2011 at 00:40.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 00:42   #52
jmvdwiel

the result is visable at you dogs profile , so thank you admin should be your phrase
jmvdwiel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 00:47   #53
buidelwolf

OK, top. Sorry for my impatience! thanks
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26   #54
admin

Quote:
Nothing are 100% clear, but if we publish only official test, one for each dog, step by step, any errors will be revealed soon. If we start to deduce the transmission of genes, as Mendelian, we can make mistake to people of Wolfodog. Off course ufficial aboratory cane make error, but laboratory must answer for their mistakes, in law contest.
What will happen if they will test DM/DM dog and write that the dog is N/N? I will tell you: NOTING. Sure they will pay something - sure you can sue them (but remember they have good layers and please read again the contract you signed with them). But the puppies - maybe some DM/DM - WILL BE BORN? It can not be withdrawed.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34   #55
koboldine

Quote:
OFFA tested about 20.000 dogs - there was not even ONE muttation. It is why they give certificates for the puppies that they are "free" when the parents are tested and free.

It is made by the most known laboratory. Believe me - they would not make it of they will have ANY doubts that it is ok.
I wouldn´t dare to doubt that a huge laboratory can handle their results in that way. But this is not OFFA - so the results you receive have been archieved by many laboratories, they submitt the results to the owner, who then decides if they are published here, right? So there are officially recognized laboratories for testing DM and Dwarfism - and there are others. Although in this data base the results of both are published, they are marked as inofficial, when the laboratory is not recognized for DM and Dwarfism testing.
Nevertheless, they are taken for granted when someone assumes the genetic disposition of their parents and their puppies.

IF you really want to draw conclusions from results, shouldn´t you conclude from official results only?

I think it gets al little ... confusing for interested people - or do we now have four categories:
1) Tested by recognized laboratory,
2) assumption due to parents/puppies Test of recognized laboratory,
3) tested but not officially recognized,
4) assumption due to parents/puppies Test of NON-recognized laboratory?

What will happen, when I get a result for my dog - and it does not fit into the assumption of the "results" of its parents? Will there be doubt about my dogs results (lets say they are from a recognized laboratory) or will the doubt affect the parents and the parent-ship? Do I then have to take a parentage test - or does the breeder have to do it?

Does this lead to genetic "fingerprint" of all dogs to proof their pedigree?
(I don´t think that´s bad BUT ...)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:40   #56
koboldine

Quote:
What will happen if they will test DM/DM dog and write that the dog is N/N? I will tell you: NOTING. Sure they will pay something - sure you can sue them (but remember they have good layers and please read again the contract you signed with them). But the puppies - maybe some DM/DM - WILL BE BORN? It can not be withdrawed.
Admin, is this about trust?

Sorry - I just ask because obviously there are people who cheat - or worse - within this breed, but are those more important than the ones who keep everything straight and stick to the rules?

No offence
Old 06-10-2011, 10:53   #57
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
I am not happy at all with publishing unofficial test results for several reasons that others did already mention.
And I also am not happy with labs that accept swabs of owners (without checking chip by an independent vet) for DNA tests…. (Owners can make mistakes and breeders have more chances to cheat)

And based on this a lot more mistakes can be made (wrong conclusions) with publishing unofficial results
There are several points:

First - the simple Mendel law allow to "verify" the results. If the breeder will cheat it wil be very fast discovered. And believe me: IF such case will happend I will publish officially the name of the cheater on every version of forum.

Second - cheating can be done in EVERY case. Remember that some breeders are vets and some have friends who are vets. There are always people who will be prepared to cheat. Why it is still allowed by GSD to cheat if all the dogs must be DNA checked? But as I wrote before - it will be discovered sooner or later.

The official results were not published "just like this" - for the whole time it was included in the database but not published. And there was not even one case where the published results were wrong - all the unofficial results were confirmed. The only mistakes which we fixed were... exactly the results made by the "official" laboratories.

And last but not least: you know that some breeders who have the biggest problems will never test/publish the results of their dogs. And the human mind is made this way that everything what is not tested is kept for "clear". Publishing the results basing on the results of the offsprings can significant imprive the health of the breed even if some breeders will not "cooperate".

And for the end: exactly thanks to the laboratories who do not give official certificates it was possible to make the selection who will help us to reduce the number of dogs "at risk". A large number of dogs was tested and the results are as good as bu the official laboratories. Tested dogs mean that it is possible for breeders to make the selection. If we would base ONLY on the official results made by the official laboratories we could already NOW stop ANY selelction - the illness will spread because before almost nobody was interested to test their dogs.
The best example is the test for dwarfism - the price reduced the amount of tested dogs to minimum. No good selection can be made and because of it no selection is done. The possibility to test the dogs didn't changed ANYTHING. And it will be so till one of the universities will develop another project who will test dogs for free (as it is done with DM) or for a very small amount of money....
Sad but true.

So the disscussion about publishing of the unofficial results and accepting only the one made by "official" laboratories is the disscussion between the if we will make the sepection OR NOT....
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06   #58
koboldine

Quote:
And last but not least: you know that some breeders who have the biggest problems will never test/publish the results of their dogs. And the human mind is made this way that everything what is not tested is kept for "clear". Publishing the results basing on the results of the offsprings can significant imprive the health of the breed even if some breeders will not "cooperate".
THIS is an argument - using this to force everyone to test - do you think it´ll work?

Quote:
And it will be so till one of the universities will develop another project who will test dogs for free (as it is done with DM) or for a very small amount of money....
Please tell me which project and university does the DM Test for free - and how can one send in the samples?
Because I´d like to test, but it is quite expensive...and my dog ist not supposed to have any offsprings, therefore I waited...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06   #59
admin

Quote:
they submitt the results to the owner, who then decides if they are published here, right?
NO - OFFA publish EVERYTHING on their website. Nothing is hidden. It is the difference between OFFA and other "European" laboratories who ALLOW to hide the results.

But I'm sure the publishing of the information like we do know do not make some breeders happy and it will cause huge resistance. It is known that the breeders who breed will DM/DM dogs and do not make any selection hide the results of their dogs. And they are big opponents of publishing the DM-results of the parents basing on the results of the puppies.
But the question is if we will help the dishonest and unreliable breeders OR
if we help to improve the breed and the honest breeders. For me the answer is very easy...

Quote:
IF you really want to draw conclusions from results, shouldn´t you conclude from official results only?
But it is what we do!

Quote:
I think it gets al little ... confusing for interested people - or do we now have four categories:
1) Tested by recognized laboratory,
2) assumption due to parents/puppies Test of recognized laboratory,
3) tested but not officially recognized,
4) assumption due to parents/puppies Test of NON-recognized laboratory?
No - only two. Official - with written name of the laboratory which made the test. And unofficial.

Quote:
What will happen, when I get a result for my dog - and it does not fit into the assumption of the "results" of its parents? Will there be doubt about my dogs results (lets say they are from a recognized laboratory) or will the doubt affect the parents and the parent-ship? Do I then have to take a parentage test - or does the breeder have to do it?
You must clear it with you breeder or without him. There are two possibilities if the results do not match - the parentage is wrong: thge parents of your puppy are different than written in the pedigree. OR: the DM test (of the puppy or (of one) of the parents) is wrong. I can not say you who must make what. But there will be a mistake.

It is exactly why some breeders which were mentioned on the forum for cheating the pedigrees do not want to make the DM test - exactly because they can give the prove that they cheated the pedigrees...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19   #60
admin

Quote:
Please tell me which project and university does the DM Test for free - and how can one send in the samples?
Because I´d like to test, but it is quite expensive...and my dog ist not supposed to have any offsprings, therefore I waited...
There is a project running on the university in Prague who is checking the DM by Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs. All you have to do is to send the blood of your dog (EDTA) OR the swabs with DNA material taken from the inner cheek. Send it together with the information of your dog to:

Daniela Čílová
Katedra genetiky a šlechtění
Česká zemědělská univerzita v Praze
Kamýcká 129
165 21 Praha 6 - Suchdol
Czech Republic

and wait for the results.

Especially thanks to this project there is a HUGE improvement if it comes to the DM testing and the possiblity to make DM selection by our breed.