Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 13-02-2011, 11:14   #1
enomis52

Default CzW needs and characteristics

Hi all,
So, as we all know, each breed has certain needs and characteristics of its own. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the CzW for when it finally DOES get to Australia, so I'm curious as to what sums up this breed in terms of its needs and character.
I really want to own one of these dogs one day. They are just beautiful. In the meantime I plan to learn as much as possible

...and continue watching youtube videos until I can actually see one myself lol
enomis52 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 09:17   #2
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomis52 View Post
Hi all,
So, as we all know, each breed has certain needs and characteristics of its own. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the CzW for when it finally DOES get to Australia, so I'm curious as to what sums up this breed in terms of its needs and character.
I really want to own one of these dogs one day. They are just beautiful. In the meantime I plan to learn as much as possible

...and continue watching youtube videos until I can actually see one myself lol
Emm, what exactly do you mean by "need and characteristics"? Space? Activities? Feeding? Something else?

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:32   #3
enomis52

Basically I am just asking what makes up a CzW's character (I am not talking about an individuals personality, but rather the breed as a whole!)

As far as the needs...
Maybe I'll use an example... Each breed was traditionally bred for a purpose eg. husky as a working (sledding) dog, labrador as a retriever. Some breeds are more independent than others, some have high energy and thus need more excersise than others. Each dog has a "drive" for their work which needs to filled in some way (In the way a sheep dog in a city courtyard yard might try to herd pigeons in the absence of sheep!!)
I am new to CzW's, so forgive me if I am mistaken, but this breed is classified as a working dog? (I assume this from the GSD in their genes). So how does the CzW compare to other breeds? Does it compare? What does it need to be mentally and emotionally content? Does this make sense?

I have read some information here and there on webpages, but I figure I will get the best information from those who already live with these dogs. I hope I have made myself a little clearer and not made it more confusing!
Old 14-02-2011, 23:37   #4
Murph

I hope there are lots of replies to this thread and everyone can contribute to define what is it that makes this breed 'different' than other breeds. Most information on czechs is the same repeated few sentences on all the various websites. I myself have visited breeders and met a few czechs but there is nothing like real-life experiences to give people a 'feel' for this breed
Murph jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:42   #5
Rona
Distinguished Member

If somebody wanted to answer your questions he would have to write a book.

I suggest you should first learn about the breed by reading the forum, and only then ask specific questions about things that are not clear or obvious.

When you learn more about vlckas I'm sure you'll understand the deeper sense of my advice

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:51   #6
enomis52

Fair enough Rona, I guess I really didn't think about the amount of information I was actually asking for!

In that case can someone point me in the right direction? I tend to get side-tracked searching through forum posts...
Old 15-02-2011, 09:55   #7
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomis52 View Post
Fair enough Rona, I guess I really didn't think about the amount of information I was actually asking for!

In that case can someone point me in the right direction? I tend to get side-tracked searching through forum posts...
Just start from the first thread on this forum And read till you finnish them all. Seriously. This will take a while, but it is worth it.

Old 15-02-2011, 12:57   #8
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Yes, that's the thing with forums - they are kind of like a conversation - lots of little twists and turns. I've read through quite a lot of this forum uver the past few years, but couldn't begin to tell you where the "best" place to look is - the only advice is to not get frustrated over some of the ugly arguments and personal vendettas you will undoubtedly come across (though some of those are useful too...). That's not the breed...just people. There is a TON of great info here, and very helpful people - have fun with Rona's suggestion! And - if there are specific questions - don't hesitate to ask!
Old 15-02-2011, 21:17   #9
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I agree that the information that's widely published about the breed isn't really helpful.

The two descriptions I've read on CsVs in actual published books (2 dog encyclopedias) both compare them to GSDs and basically rate them as "less good" GSDs..
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 22:21   #10
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
both compare them to GSDs and basically rate them as "less good" GSDs..
And it might be true if they talk about obidance

But when it comes to Trailing and Health, CsV are to be better

The "Thing" about CsV is that it tend to be ALLOT more work when it comes to obidance training as they REALLY lose there interest very very fast...

Quote:
The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog is intelligent and has very easy to learn new things. Though it can’t be trained like a normal dog as it easily looses interest when the same exercise is repeated.
I agree on the above 100%

My dog is best if I do not repeated anything at all Only one time / training or some time inbetween... Not 1,2,3,4 times, becose on time nr 4 interest is lost looooooong time ago EVEN on the most fun things as "go fetch the ball" BTW, 4 times is Hronecs personal record on "go fetch the ball"

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 15-02-2011, 22:30   #11
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
And it might be true if they talk about obidance
I agree with you Mikael, but I just don't understand why there is always the comparison to GSDs? After all, how odd is it to say Miniature Pinschers are "less short" versions of Dachshunds!!! (they were bred from Dachshunds ages ago)

It is its own dog, no need to draw comparisons..
Old 15-02-2011, 23:01   #12
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
I agree with you Mikael, but I just don't understand why there is always the comparison to GSDs? After all, how odd is it to say Miniature Pinschers are "less short" versions of Dachshunds!!! (they were bred from Dachshunds ages ago)

Yes and I think in time I it will be just a Vlcak, but now if someone ask me "what kind of breed is that" I also will start to talk about GSD X Wolf / former czechoslovakian republic...

The breed is to smal and yong, but in time now when it is exported, I think it will start to get better on this part, but this far most FCI judges did not even see one To them and all oters that do not know the breed, it is a GSD / Wolfcross

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 16-02-2011, 12:29   #13
enomis52

Thanks everyone for the advice, and it has pointed me in the right direction. I don't feel like I'm wondering aimlessly now and thanks Mikael for the link! So much useful information on one website - I haven't come across another page that comes close to it

Hopefully I'll see them in my country soon. My impatience is killing me :P

Last edited by enomis52; 16-02-2011 at 12:38.
Old 16-02-2011, 13:27   #14
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:

Well, the thing is, that when you tell people it is a working breed, they think it will be as "normal" as GSD... They say "ah, ok, I need it to guard my yard, bark at people" and so on And then you simply start explaining, taking a "normal" dog as GSD and saying "no, this dog should not live in a fenced yard like gsd, thay do not bark like gsd, they do not want to do anything to make you happy like gsd..."

Old 17-02-2011, 10:33   #15
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
they do not want to do anything to make you happy like gsd..."
Oh, they do.. They just prefer that you learn to be happy that they are happy .
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:35   #16
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Oh, they do.. They just prefer that you learn to be happy that they are happy .

Well, yes - this is more exact Very accurate in fact

Old 17-02-2011, 12:10   #17
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
...they do not want to do anything to make you happy like gsd..."
Once I talked 'privately" with a famous dog trainer, author of very good books about dog training, which some of you might have read /used. It was a private conversation so I don't think it'd be fair to provide his name. It's not really important because I've met several trainers who think like he does.

He admitted that my vlcak was the first of the breed he'd met that was not shy, was friendly and willing to work (BTW I don't mean that I think my dog is exceptional or particularly well trained , but rather that he'd met very few vlcaks )
But then he asked "Tell me, why didn't you get yourself a NICE dog?" At first I didn't understand - aren't CSVs really beautiful? But then he explained that by NICE he meant a dog that would look up to the owner and obey him blindly like a working GSD, the sort of "trainers' dream"

I've been thinking about this question for a few months now, and have several asnwers, eg.:
because 'partner-kind' of relationship with a dog is more important for me than her perfect obedience?
because I like challenges?
because I used to have a dog of the same breed before and missed the realtionship?
because life with a CSV is always interesting and never boring?
because of their warmheartedness and passion?
because CSVs keep our modesty at decent level?
because I'm a psychological masochist?
because of aesthetic impressions - watching my dog running, almost floating above the ground gives me almost sensuous pleasure?
because 'personality' of any CSV's is so unique? Once you meet a vlcak, play with him for a while, communicate... you cannot confuse him/her with any other vlcak?

Or maybe all of them together or some mix of them? What would be your answer? Why didn't you get yoursleves a really NICE dog?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 12:49   #18
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Once I talked 'privately" with a famous dog trainer, author of very good books about dog training, which some of you might have read /used. It was a private conversation so I don't think it'd be fair to provide his name. It's not really important because I've met several trainers who think like he does.

He admitted that my vlcak was the first of the breed he'd met that was not shy, was friendly and willing to work (BTW I don't mean that I think my dog is exceptional or particularly well trained , but rather that he'd met very few vlcaks )
But then he asked "Tell me, why didn't you get yourself a NICE dog?" At first I didn't understand - aren't CSVs really beautiful? But then he explained that by NICE he meant a dog that would look up to the owner and obey him blindly like a working GSD, the sort of "trainers' dream"

I've been thinking about this question for a few months now, and have several asnwers, eg.:
because 'partner-kind' of relationship with a dog is more important for me than her perfect obedience?
because I like challenges?
because I used to have a dog of the same breed before and missed the realtionship?
because CSVs keep our modesty at decent level?
because I'm a psychological masochist?
because of aesthetic impressions - watching my dog running, almost floating above the ground gives me almost sensuous pleasure?
because 'personality' of any CSV's is so unique? Once you meet a vlcak, play with him for a while, communicate... you cannot confuse him/her with any other vlcak?

Or maybe all of them together or some mix of them? What would be your answer? Why didn't you get yoursleves a really NICE dog?
hahahahahaaa
Yes, I can sign after every word of yours!
Had similar conversation with some experienced cynologists, judges Mentioned, that I am thinking about one more dog, small breed, maybe shiba inu. "WHY do you need such a CRAZY dog???" And the other judge says "She has a wolfdog..." Is it diagnosis or what?

And my answer to the last question is really this:
Well, my requirements for a dog are simple - dog has to be resistant to any weather conditions, no smell, no need to bath, to use cosmetics (for myself I use nearly none, so I do not want to use more for my dog ), healthy, high endurance, not too loud, self-confident, middle-sized. Kind of independent, a little chalenge. Good looking So I first was thinking about the dogs from 5th group - like malamuts, akitas, various laikas and my big secret love - shikoku, but finally I have wolfdog, because their attitude towards people - they love their people, thay want to be with them, you can let wolfdog off the leash with no doubts he will not loose you from his sight It is still a working breed, who likes to work, if the work is interesting enought

Old 17-02-2011, 13:13   #19
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
These are most important for me.

Quote:
This one might be true for many other breeds, even the "nice" ones... But it is true, nevertheless...

What I don;t like about the "nice" breeds is that they give me feeling that they do not obey because they chose it, but they just don't seem to be able to think up anything better. I have a feeling that those dogs, that are able to work independently and on their own, even if they come from the "nice" breed pool, are as individuals much more difficult to train. Maybe not as hard as wolfdogs (but there are also wolfdogs that have the obedient drive), but still much harder than the typical "nice" dog.

There was a time in my life that the reason Vaiva gave, about the resistance etc. was also very true, but now I think the partnership is the most important for me. My dog chooses to obey or disobey me, in similar way as I choose to obey or disobey the traffic rules. In giving orders, I am responsible that the orders are good ones. If I give stupid orders, would I myself obey them? I know I wouldn't - at least not always.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:21   #20
yukidomari

The other day I was at the dog-park and a lady asked me what kind of dog our CsV is, and what they were bred for?

I told her they were originally bred by the CS border patrol and she immediately said, "Those dogs are vicious".

Then she said, "Oh, but of course not YOUR dog.... he is nice.."