Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 02-02-2009, 17:55   #1
Puma
Ottokar lovers

Default Fruits & Vegetables

Hi,

We would like to know if anyone else is feeding their Csw fruits or vegetables. Ottokar likes carrots as treats so far and i would like to introduce other types of fruits or vegetables to him.

He's been given meat snacks/treats and i think by introducing healthy treats once in a while is a good idea

Just a thought.

Rosie
Puma jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 18:04   #2
Backman

Hi! Yes I give cooked carrots with food a few times every week. and every evening before bedtime my CzW's eat a carrot They like it
Also apples and berries of all kind they eat themselves outside in garden and in the forest..
My female Blazy eat blackcurrants straight from the bush last autumn :O I had to take her away from the bush, she would have eaten all my berries..
So yes my dogs eat carrots and apples and berries

Jenny
Backman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 18:47   #3
tikaani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Hi,

We would like to know if anyone else is feeding their Csw fruits or vegetables. Ottokar likes carrots as treats so far and i would like to introduce other types of fruits or vegetables to him.

He's been given meat snacks/treats and i think by introducing healthy treats once in a while is a good idea

Just a thought.

Rosie
i blender fruit and veg and mix it with meat, i dont cook it though, all raw, better for vitimins. but NO grapes though, poisonus like chocolate....
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 21:12   #4
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

My wolfdog loves tomatoes Also she gathers various berries in the wood, sometimes eats apples, cucumbers - never from shop, only from own garden, carrots are just toys, seems like she likes to chew, but not to swallow.

I have also seen her once trying to taste canabies leaves straight from the plant

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58   #5
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

We have "our round" where we walk in the nature. It is border of fields, there are trees and bushes. Our dogs have thear special place, where they always stop and eat grass, place, where they eat wild cherries (they can tear it from branhes by land), place, where they eat black raspberries, and thear favorite trees with pears. They eats pears what are in the grass. Very cheap food. But interest is, when old dogs teach to eat it young dogs or pups.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55   #6
miihar

Alaska loves carrots, Chinese cabbage and pieces of tangerines. Everything crunchy seems to be her favorite . She also eats raspberries and black currants in the summer.

However, I read somewhere that dogs should not be fed with raw root crops / vegetables because they are not properly digested in their stomachs. I still give Alaska sometimes raw carrots as a treat because she fancies them so much. It is almost impossible to eat carrots or Chinese cabbage in our house without Alaska hearing and noticing it!

Miia
miihar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56   #7
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by miihar View Post
However, I read somewhere that dogs should not be fed with raw root crops / vegetables because they are not properly digested in their stomachs. I still give Alaska sometimes raw carrots as a treat because she fancies them so much. It is almost impossible to eat carrots or Chinese cabbage in our house without Alaska hearing and noticing it!

Miia
So it means that if you want your dog to get extra vitamines from carrots and other similar food, you have to smash them or boil a little, but if a dog just likes to chew or likes the taste of vegetables, so it is ok to give them as they are

Old 03-02-2009, 12:32   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, Frei loves all kinds of fruits and vegetables. She gets grated carrots or apples in her food often, she loves most of berries, and tends to pick fruits anywhere she finds it. She ate all our plums, when mum thought she will let them ripen for one week more and left Frei free in our garden. She also likes apples in bites and pears. Oh, and also nuts, she loves them.

Is it true that grapes are poisonous? I never fed her a lot of grapes (I'm too selfish), but there are places around where she can pick them on walks, so every summer she eats some.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:40   #9
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Is it true that grapes are poisonous? I never fed her a lot of grapes (I'm too selfish), but there are places around where she can pick them on walks, so every summer she eats some.
I also read that grapes are bad for dogs (just like onions or chocolate), thanks god, Brukne only roles on them when gets one (iiiiiii, what a small ball)

Old 03-02-2009, 14:45   #10
Puma
Ottokar lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
I have also seen her once trying to taste canabies leaves straight from the plant

Hi all,

today Ottokar has had a taste of an apple ... or should i say a lick of an apple. From the weird look that he gave me, seems like he doesn't like it at all! And he doesn't like cooked fench beans also.
So far what interest him are only cooked carrots..

Grapes and raisins are toxic/harmful/lethal to dogs. We were told that greens should be cooked and not fed raw.

Food for thought. I was reading through some of these articles which were interesting.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

Last edited by Puma; 04-02-2009 at 11:45.
Old 03-02-2009, 15:17   #11
saschia

So I managed to find a veterinary article on grapes and raisins causing renal failure in dogs and all cases had exposure of at least 3 g dry matter per 1 kg dog body weight, that means around 100g of raisins or 500g of grapes for 30 kg wolfdog. So if your dog eats a pack of raisins or big chunk of grapes take it to the vet. I think one or two grape berries once in a while are safe.
Good to know, especially for apartment living dogs.
Old 04-02-2009, 14:57   #12
Rona
Distinguished Member

Tina used to like all sorts of vegetables and fruit, including cucumbers, berries, melons, certain kind of grass, etc. Lorelei too, is fond of apples carrots, parsnip, courgettes, cooked leeks, tomatoes, nuts... She likes even bananas and red peppers - naturally just bits from time to time. But I was most surprised when I found out that my pup loves... bread and butter!

Margo says that wolfdogs tend to like the same kind of food their owners do, and it seems to be true

BTW Does anybody know if it's OK if the dog eats a piece of orange from time to time?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 15:13   #13
tikaani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Tina used to like all sorts of vegetables and fruit, including cucumbers, berries, melons, certain kind of grass, etc. Lorelei too, is fond of apples carrots, parsnip, courgettes, cooked leeks, tomatoes, nuts... She likes even bananas and red peppers - naturally just bits from time to time. But I was most surprised when I found out that my pup loves... bread and butter!

Margo says that wolfdogs tend to like the same kind of food their owners do, and it seems to be true

BTW Does anybody know if it's OK if the dog eats a piece of orange from time to time?

kaya always steels small oranges/ tangerines when were not looking and whole tubs of butter, shes beter now shes older, cheeky little thing
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 17:15   #14
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Oh, butter... I have to be very careful, Brukne allways tries to steel some, also sour cream. I give her curd and sour milk sometimes and she loves it! (it is funny, because there is a Lithuanian proverb, saying, that a starving dog eats even curd, but Brukne sometimes would rather eat curd than raw meet ). She also sometimes asks for bread, especially home baked, dark, made of rye

Emm, and are these dogs, who like vegies so much eating dry food ar meet?

Old 04-02-2009, 17:29   #15
saschia

Frei eats normally raw meat, liver and bones. She is now on granules, but she likes them too. She eats everything.

And things from milk are a chapter in themselves, Kei loved them, but had diarrhea, so it was forbidden to her (she stole it anyway). Frei loves them and can eat them, so she is happy. Now for lunch she has granules with sour milk, for enhancing her own milk production.
Old 04-02-2009, 17:50   #16
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Frei eats normally raw meat, liver and bones. She is now on granules, but she likes them too. She eats everything.
Just like Lorelei She eats one solid meal of raw meat and bones, and another of quality dry food + some cheese (or fish, oil, vegetables or just remains of our dinner...) PLUS treats at trainings!

Old 04-02-2009, 18:12   #17
Puma
Ottokar lovers

Quote:

Might be true, i don't really like apples that much. One thing though, when our cat gets Whiting fish, Otto gets some too. He likes it.

There is an article/guide to find out about species of fish for human ,dogs and cats consumption that contain from the lowest to highest mercury level. The least mercury level being considered safe.

Maybe i'm a bit paranoid, reading too many articles

Btw, Vaiva, Otto eats dry food most of the time, except for fish and tripe once in a while.
Old 04-02-2009, 18:56   #18
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaani View Post
kaya always steels small oranges/ tangerines when were not looking
And she survived? Good news for Lorka then!

Old 04-02-2009, 19:27   #19
Angelika

Quote:
Margo is right: I don´t like vegetables, neither do my dogs
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 20:57   #20
miihar

Quote:
And she survived? Good news for Lorka then!
Alaska seems also well and fit despite eating some tangerins / mandarins every now and then . Please check my post above...
miihar jest offline   Reply With Quote