Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Off topic

Off topic About everything and about nothing - way how to pleasantly spent your free time...

Old 27-02-2011, 17:30   #1
draggar

Default Thoughts on this flag (Czech / Slovakia / USA hybrid)?

I was working on some graphics and I came up with this, thoughts? Would anyone easily find it offensive?

I wanted the primary to be the Czech Republic since they kept the Czechoslovakian flag, secondary on Slovakia's flag and third the USA flag.

I also did *not* want the US flag to be in between the two - I figured some (many?) would have taken that the wrong way.

In case your curious, here are the 3 flags, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and USA:

draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 08:12   #2
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Funny ! Hi hi, maybe some nationalist will kill you
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 09:36   #3
Silvester

Default Flag-kannibals ??

Yeah Hanka, that´s my opinion also - especially Americans completely don`t like such jokes with their national symbols...

"Draggar" - i think you know this, for you are living in USA ... ?

Last edited by Silvester; 28-02-2011 at 09:40.
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 10:23   #4
Rona
Distinguished Member

Just to be on the safe side, I'd change the shape

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 11:02   #5
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

You should also check the laws This might be against them I guess in some countries

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 16:48   #6
draggar

I am in the USA and I am not concerned about how the average American feels about it - it's for a vlcak community so the people in it would know the references.

This was NOT intended (in any way) to be a joke, BTW.
Old 28-02-2011, 20:38   #7
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Funny ! Hi hi, maybe some nationalist will kill you
Ha ha ha... Yes this is how war starts

Draggan, I think the flag is OK, but in Sweden it is illegal to shage/ mix whit flags... One can make a new one, but not shage or mix, I do not know how it is in the USA, but I would not hang it higher than the US flag if I was you

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 28-02-2011 at 22:56.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 00:54   #8
draggar

Good call, Mikael and in some research I found out that the Czech flag is actually a violation of their own constitution!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_flag#cite_note-0
Quote:
When the Czech and Slovak Republics separated in 1993, the Czechs adopted a flag identical to the former flag of the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic, in direct violation of the constitutional act that explicitly forbids former federal symbols to be used by the two successor states.[1]
Cite: http://www.zbierka.sk/zz/predpisy/de...42&Rocnik=1992

As for law, the only thing I can find is:
Czech Republic: http://www.flagspot.net/flags/cz-law.html

Quote:
Section 4d

Any use of the state symbols of the Czech Republic, which would show disrespect for these symbols shall be prohibited.
And with this symbol I mean no disrespect, but the opposite. The unity the two nations have with the breed and the US trying to follow their example.

Slovakia:
http://flagspot.net/flags/sk-law.html

I don't see anything that is relevant.

I am 99% sure it is not illegal in the USA to modify the USA flag - if it was many people would be in jail considering the variants that are out there, many are not government sanctioned.

Last edited by draggar; 01-03-2011 at 02:37.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30   #9
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." (Flag Code, Section 8g)
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44   #10
draggar

Yuki,

Looking at the code many of what is considered extremely patriotic is against the code:

c: The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

d: The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

j: No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48   #11
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

LOL - I think wolfdog.org is in violation of the law! Our American flag has been cut diagonally in half and attached to half of the British flag to mark the English section of the forum on the homepage - I am sure my early American grandfathers would be rolling in their graves!

I think - as Americans - maybe we don't see too much of a problem with blending marks on a flag (in violation of flag etiquette, albeit) - since most of us are made up from many nationalities originally. My sister was adopted from Romania in the 90s - we own MANY 1/2 American, 1/2 Romanian flagged/flag colored items - she has citizenship to both countries. I myself am German, Scottish, British and Shawnee (native American). We are really quite proud of our "mixed breed" heritage.

But, I think it's necessary to realize not all nationalities have this heritage, and don't see things from the same perspective as us - which is normal and fine!

In any case, I don't know if mixing all 3 flags together - especially keeping the traditional rectangular flag shape - is necessary, in the context of talking about dogs. With regards to wolfdogs, I certainly don't see myself on equal terms of knowledge or experience as breeders/clubs in CZ or SK, as this flag might suggest. But thank you all for giving me a great idea for my art students on perception of symbolism.