Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 18-11-2012, 01:09   #1
Priska182
Canadian Member

Unhappy Aggressivity

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice… Well, Genzo is now 1 year old and for the past 2 months, he has been aggressive against strangers. It starts by showing his teeth and now he reached the point where he clearly wants to bite people. It started with men and now he does the same thing with women.

We go see a dog trainer every two weeks, and he has been wearing a dog muzzle for the past 6 weeks… still, I don’t see any change.

I really need some advice from people who are familiar with the breed. I really need to hear from people who have had similar stories with a happy ending. I really need to share our story with people who can understand…

Thank you very much for your support and understanding,

Stéphanie and Genzo
Old 18-11-2012, 17:02   #2
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Hi

I would say he is going through a 'fear stage' he needs helping through it,I woukd walk him on a long line and muzzle whilst going back to basics with his training 'instant downs' 'leaves' 'recalls' and 'watch me'

I believe a fair few csv's are suspicious of strange dogless people(hardly suprising) and also sense fear .

Last edited by tupacs2legs; 18-11-2012 at 17:04.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 01:18   #3
vila

Try to focus first on determining where this behavior comes from - from fear or from a definite confident "forward" behavior that tries to control the situation. Hormones can really mess up the behavior in a young dog in any direction. And if he is now 1 year old and this is happening for 2 months it really sounds like the "unsure suspicious" stage that they have, unfortunately in a very severe manner. Usually its more defensive alerting behavior. I wouldn't say just waiting and "riding out the phase" would be good :/ because you would miss much of the socialization opportunities, also I think that this being a much stronger behavior than usual, it should be addressed and not ignored. If he was my dog and things weren't getting better fast, I'd also consider it be a hormonal imbalance and had him neutered (but I know its a touchy subject and i won't suggest it directly). Have you tried to walk or jog very actively among crowds of people (with a muzzle) like in the town or highly populated areas, giving corrections with the leash at every sign of tension in his eyes/body? Keep us posted and good luck!
vila jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 09:21   #4
Rona
Distinguished Member

It'd probably be a good idea to find out if the problem is purly behavioural (due to some bad experience in the pup's past which you weren't even aware of, e.g. somebody teasing the dog from beyond the fence or something similar), developmental (as other have suggested) or genetic (arrives in a line - some features crop out even though the parents never displayed them).

Maybe contacting the owners of Genzo's sibilings would help? I suppose the breeder might also provide you with information, suggestions and advice.
Good luck, Stephanie

Last edited by Rona; 19-11-2012 at 09:23.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 22:19   #5
Priska182
Canadian Member

Hello Tupacs, Vila and Rona,

Thanks you very for your advices. Well we're actually now walking in more busy place of course with a muzzle... I'm planning to practice agility and go to a dog park with the constant suppervision of a dog trainner, so he will met other people and dogs.

I really think its start with a man who was working on our new house. It's the first time that Genzo show some bad behavior (he was barking and growling on him, he was scared...). After that he was suspicious with some other men and now it's with everybody, men women, some child and dogs... But when he has is bad behavior (growling and trying to bite) he really doesn't look scared...

What I'm looking for are some other people who have encountered this kind of trouble and how they have corrected it. I know that the CsV is a special breed and I don't want to do some mistake with him.

He is really nice when we walk, really attentive to me, but if I don’t pay attention to him, if I'm busy to do something else, and don't correct him when he goes focus on some people that when it's happen...

I will for sure keep you informed...

Thanks,

Stéphanie
Old 24-11-2012, 12:06   #6
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

Who is the breeder, who are the parents to yor dog? Knowing the line, one can maybe better say, if he is goinh in front because he is scared or because it is his line.

You described that it increased, starting with only men, then women and now with children and dogs. Can it be that you support and confirmed him in his behaviour although you wanted to tell him "let it be"? Did you speak to him in a soft voice or did you pet him, because you wanted to calm him down, when you first (and other) time noticed that he seemed (not necessaryly was) to be scared? I often noticed that especially women said from the meaning the right words, but because they were speaking in her soft voice to their dogs, they in reality confirmed them and the dogs think, wow, my lady likes it and the trouble increases.

The most important fact is that you should tell you dog, what you like and what not. So everytime he wants to start, say a hard loud "No" or "let it be". Make him clear that you do not like it. But do not beat him. And try to get his attention away from the person. So for example when a man is passing by, start to talk to your dog, he will look at with a questionmark in his eyes. If he is very much in intense behavior, you must pull him to you and change maybe direction away from the person and tell him, "no".

It is always hard to explain in words and of course not knowing the dog. In the end, you dog must understand that you will tell him what is good and what is wrong - and not he.

Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 12:21   #7
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

From my point of view there is no need for a muzzle for a one year old dog! I has already connected all people are bad, always when I am in public I have to wear this bad muzzle. And what kind of muzzle is it? Can he drink, bark, has he enough space? But let it away.
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote