Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Clubs & law > The Czechoslovakian Vlcak Club of America

Old 10-12-2010, 20:22   #1
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari
Default Establishing CHIC (Canine Health Information Center) specifications

Hello,

I assume that most people know OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) which commonly is used to rate and record hip scores, elbow dyplasia results, and sometimes CERF (although different database, cross lists with OFFA) eye results.

I have been reading about OFFA's CHIC program. It is a health program tailored to specific breeds. So the most relevant health problems in a breed (as defined by a parent club - I think it has to be national US club) is identified.

For example, in Labrador Retrievers the issues that were agreed upon were:
  • Hip Dysplasia
  • Elbow Dysplasia
  • Eye Disease
And for Bull Terriers:
  • Congenital Cardiac Disease
  • Congenital Deafness
  • Patella Luxation
  • Kidney Disease
When a Labrador Retriever has had all three tests, or a Bull Terrier has had all 4 of theirs, a CHIC logo appears next to their name in the database, which lets users quickly identify which dogs have had these tests (instead of searching separately). Also a breeder can put the CHIC number on their personal site if they want.

It is not a mandatory thing, it's something of an 'extra bonus', I would say.

I was wondering if something like this would be useful for Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs in the USA... at least, once a breed club is established. And, if so, which would be the most important issues to test for.

For now I think perhaps Hip Dysplasia and perhaps DM?

I know there is also dwarfism and elbow problems in the breed.. would other people consider this major enough to list as well?

I would appreciate feedback from international clubs.

Thank you!
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote