Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 26-04-2011, 00:14   #1
IAmLisaP

Default Is the Czechoslovakian wolfdog breed for me?

Hello!
I am very interested in owning a dog of this breed. I was wondering about other owners experience with working with them. I am looking to get another dog (I own a 4 year old 60lb female gsd). How are these dogs with protection work and detection(narcotics, fire arms, and explosives). I recently took a k9 training course and would like to have my own dog to train from the start. I have seen alot of videos on this breed and they seem like goofy, fun dogs. I heard that you can do this training but do not know how often it happens. I want a dog that will be a fun companion and workable. Does this sound like a breed for me?
IAmLisaP jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:31   #2
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Dear Lisa you can take contact to Marcy Goldstone, she can tell more about this breed and you can see CSW in real in her home. (lives in Virginai also)
Old 26-04-2011, 06:32   #3
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

same post taked away.

Last edited by *Satu; 26-04-2011 at 06:35. Reason: second time...
*Satu jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 08:20   #4
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmLisaP View Post
Hello!
I am very interested in owning a dog of this breed. I was wondering about other owners experience with working with them. I am looking to get another dog (I own a 4 year old 60lb female gsd). How are these dogs with protection work and detection(narcotics, fire arms, and explosives). I recently took a k9 training course and would like to have my own dog to train from the start. I have seen alot of videos on this breed and they seem like goofy, fun dogs. I heard that you can do this training but do not know how often it happens. I want a dog that will be a fun companion and workable. Does this sound like a breed for me?
Well, for a person, looking for these features in a dog, I would better offer a Belgian, not a wolfdog... Wolfdogs are great dogs, yes, they are trainable, but if "protection work" comes very high in your list, it is not a best breed for you

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:42   #5
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Well, for a person, looking for these features in a dog, I would better offer a Belgian, not a wolfdog... Wolfdogs are great dogs, yes, they are trainable, but if "protection work" comes very high in your list, it is not a best breed for you

I have thought about the Belgian malinois. I have worked with several of them.
I just don't think they are the dog for me. They seem to only want to work.
I should of mentioned that my main focus for training is detection and obedience. If i can get one to do some protection work thats just a bonus.
Old 26-04-2011, 19:15   #6
IAmLisaP

lol I didn't explain enough how I feel the malinois behaves I was half awake when I posted the previous post. The malinois seem to only want to work. never want to just be a dog. I have a 4 year old gsd that i have done some work with(she was abused before I adopted her so she never could get her confidence up enough to complete her training). She is a sweet fun girl who loves every one. as soon as she sees her training equipment she knows its time to work. the malinois is always wanting to work, never calms down to just be a house dog. this is why I thought of the wolfdog. I would like a dog who is a great family dog but will get to work when its time. I could just get another gsd but I thought it would be nice to have opportunity work with this unique and amazing breed. But yes I am more focused on doing detection training and obedience. If I can get the pup to do some protection work then that's just a bonus.
Old 26-04-2011, 19:52   #7
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
the malinois is always wanting to work, never calms down to just be a house dog.
Well, a CsV might not always want to work like a Mal, but it doesn't mean that they are calm in between.....
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 21:06   #8
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Well, a CsV might not always want to work like a Mal, but it doesn't mean that they are calm in between.....
That's fine with me! when the dog is not working he or she will be in my very active life. I would take him/her hiking with me, dogparks, I work at a doggie daycare so they would go with me to work. My gsd is Czech working lines so I am used to the whole very high energy levels and I love it!
Old 28-04-2011, 18:39   #9
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

My little opinion.. I personally think if you have preset sporting goals you'd like to meet with the dog, and if you don't meet those goals you would be very disappointed in the dog, then a CsV is not for you.

If you would like to find a dog in which there are possibilities, and whom you can learn and train together, and be happy with that, then it may be the dog for you..
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 18:55   #10
IAmLisaP

Well What I think I need to do is meet some wolfdogs and see them for my self. If I end up with one and he/she turns out to not be a good working dog, its not going to make me dislike the dog. I got my gsd for working purposes. she turned out to not have enough confidence there for not being a good working dog, this did not change the way i feel about her. I love her, she is my girl and i wouldn't give her up for anything . When it comes to training for detection work. The dog needs have no fear of small spaces, dark areas, obstacles etc. and of course high pray/ball drive. Does this sound like a wolfdog?
Old 28-04-2011, 19:31   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
The dog needs have no fear of small spaces, dark areas, obstacles etc.
I suppose this varies from one dog to another.

Quote:
high pray/ball drive.Does this sound like a wolfdog?
High ball drive rather not. But there are exceptions

Last edited by Rona; 28-04-2011 at 20:28.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 19:43   #12
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
High pray/ball drive rather not. But there are exceptions
High food drive
Today I wanted to remind Brukne some ring training, but understood I have no treats at all. You know, frozen sprats work just fine for her too

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:01   #13
jefta
Call Me Sexy Srdcervac

Send a message via Skype™ to jefta Send Message via Gadu Gadu to jefta

Rona, opinion that Lorka is first no shy csv come also to me even that I live 300-400 km from you and we spend time with difrent type od doglovers

my beagle hate csv but she loves going on csv meetings-there is so much food which they dont want to eat