Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 07-10-2008, 19:41   #1
nicholas

Default Blood in Urine

I would grately appreciate your help on the following urgent issue that appeared with my dog.

Tristan is now 19 months old and since Friday morning he started to urinate with blood.

We took him to the vet immediately and all his blood tests were normal. We proceeded with a ultrasound scan for his kidneys, prostate and blutter which showed nothing strange. Tsts for urine infection through culture came back negative. Unfortunately his urine even today (Tuesday)contains blood which means that this is not the result of an internal injury. What strikes me odd is the fact that once he starts to urinate the initial amount is nomral and as he progresses the color turns red as if he is bleeding. Besides the above the dog looks and acts quite normal. He has not lost his appetite nor his energy. ANd he doesn't seem to fell uncomfortable while he urinates.

Do you have any idea that might help us? The next thing is to proceed with a CAT scan and he is scheduled to do so tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Today's blood test.

HCT: 46%
HGB: 15.3g/dL
MCHC: 33.3g/dL
WBC: 12.3x10^9/L
GRANS: 8.0x10^9/L
%GRANS: 65%
NEUT: 7.1x10^9/L
EOS: 0.9x10^9/L
L/M: 4.3x10^9/L
%L/M: 35%
PLT: 479x10^9/L
Retics: 0.4%
nicholas jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:36   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

The leukocytes are slightly too high, what makes an infection quite likely. It is the most likely in his age anyway. Urincultures are not allways correct. Has there a Urinsediment been done?
If there is no possibility that the dog has taken up some anticoagulants (rat poison for example) I would try some antibiotics, if there is an infection you will see the result very soon.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:27   #3
nicholas

He has been on anti-biotics (Augmentin 1.5 gram/day) since Saturday morning and no obvious result yet. If it was an infection this tretament should have a result by now.
Old 07-10-2008, 21:44   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

What did the Urin-sediment say?
It can just mean the the bacerias don´t react on Augmentan.
Old 08-10-2008, 19:17   #5
Bille

How ist the pH from the Urin?

greetings Bille
Bille jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:23   #6
nicholas

I cannot say exactly what the urinary sedoment say or how much the ph is. I was told that the urine contains blood (and not blood cells). Is there any specific urinary test to be done? Currently they told me to wait for 5-7 days and see how this progresses. But i am afraid to do so in case it deteriorates.
Old 08-10-2008, 22:01   #7
michaelundinaeichhorn

In a sediment + a status that includes Protein and ph you can get direct informations if the bladder is involved, if there is a hint for stones, if there are untypical cells and if there are hints for kidney-problems.
With a cystitis you will find out about nothing in a blood status, sometimes not even an inflammation. It´s the same with kidney problems in an early state.

Ina
Old 08-10-2008, 22:04   #8
nicholas

Since we have already done an ultrasound scan, shouldn't problems in the kndeys or blatter show up there?
Old 08-10-2008, 22:18   #9
michaelundinaeichhorn

No, not all of them. But anyway the Urinstatus would be the first thing to do.
Old 18-10-2008, 15:11   #10
nicholas

Hi again. Sorry for the late reply but we were running new tests.

The results are the following:Urine tests show nothing else but pure blood cells. No bacteria, no crystals, nothing that could signify an infection. All other blood tests remain pretty much at the same levels as in the beginning. In other words according to the tests the dog is perfectly healthy. We took all the results of the tests (including the ultrasound scan, which showed a small amount of cluttered blood in the blatter) to the University of Athens. They were reviewed by a professor and he concluded that the dog needs to be examined through a surgery.

He fears that he suffers from a form of idiopathic renal hematuria. That is one or both kidneys are damaged hence the blood in the urine. Through the surgery they will be able to have a close look at the blatter. If sth appears there (that is not evident in the ultrasound scan) then they will fix it. If not they will insert two small tube in the kidneys (through the blatter) and see if they get blood. If this is the case then the kideny that produces blood needs to be removed. If both kidneys have a problem then it is up to me to decide wether to keep him as is but he will be administered with antibiotics for the rest of his life, without ever being certain that the dog will have a normal life.

I really do not know what to do. I was told that this is a rather rare case.
Old 18-10-2008, 17:42   #11
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Hi Nicholas.
Have some blood parasits wich don't appear easly in blood exams and can cause hematuria, why don't you talk with your vet before made all this procediment, to try to give him Sulfadimetoxina and Metronidazole for 1 week at least and see if will change someting?
If you commonly go walk with him where have rivers or lakes, hematuria as other kidneys problems can be caused by Dictophyma.

Last edited by Nebulosa; 18-10-2008 at 17:46.
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 18:28   #12
nicholas

We live in urban area where no river nowhere near. But i guess trying flagyl for a week won't be a problem.