Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51   #1
mijke

Default Update about Labs and DNA storage EDTA blood CsW's

After my last post about storage:
Maybe the most easy and simple start is that all CsW owners send EDTA blood for DNA storage to the same lab.
So every dog owner remains the official owner of the DNA storage of his dog. And everybody here can announce if they have send DNA for storage in this lab.

And maybe then it is possible to make on this site a list of all CsW with a storage of blood in that lab.

When in future there are interesting test (for example PRA or epilepsy) or a lab needs blood for validation of a test for CsW, we can write about this on the forum.
And every individual owner can decide to cooperate or not.

So on this moment it is maybe an idea only to choose a lab with a good price for only storage and good price and conditions for DNA distillation.

http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11309

Now I can tell something more about the possibilities

In the mean time I did have contact with several labs about their possibilities and conditions around storage and test in other labs. I also had contact with some genetic experts to hear their experiences with labs.
As I did tell before every lab has a commercial goal
And besides tests and storage, also every lab will use some of the EDTA blood for research of their own (only anonymous and of course without names of dogs and owners). But most of the labs will not make this public

I did compare info and find a lab in Germany what was very honest in all information and have good conditions for storage and tests in other labs.

General info about this lab:
  • It is possible to storage EDTA blood and the DNA isolation without obligation for a test in this lab
  • They need only 1 ml EDTA blood for this
  • DNA storage for 25 years can be offered at a price of 33 Euro per sample. (Special offer!)
  • This service includes a double DNA isolation as well as storage of the EDTA-blood sample
  • The sender/owner of the dog remains owner of the EDTA blood and isolation
  • The owner receives a owner number
  • Of the EDTA blood that is send, they make first an DNA isolation
  • They always run a double DNA isolation that results in two independent DNA samples that can be stored at different places.
  • Each isolation sample is 100µl and labs need approx. 5µl to run a test.
  • That means they could perform 20 DNA tests from each stored DNA isolation.
  • They can send the DNA isolation for a test to each lab we want
  • The owner can decide which tests he want to make in other labs
  • Because they also can store the EDTA blood sample additionally (approx. 1 ml). The number of DNA tests to be performed is almost unlimited!

For the CsW this lab has already this tests: Maligne Hyperthermia and of course making a DNA profile

Maybe we can also discuss more about the possibilities in Bratislava

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 20:33   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up

Excellent work

Best regards / Mikael
Old 10-10-2009, 07:31   #3
michaelundinaeichhorn

Really great work and I would have loved to talk about it in Bratislava but had to return to work . But on my long drive back I had some ideas.

Regards
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote