Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 02-09-2004, 14:06   #1
feivel

Default Bloodtest

where do I find information about the bloodtest a dog needs to go to a different country like the uk? I heard it only takes two weeks
Please somebody let me know
thanks
feivel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 20:20   #2
Koos

Hello Shelley,

About the bloodtest. It takes a lot of time, longer then 2 weeks, you mentioned.

This is the way you have to go. A dog from West Europe has to go to the vet. The vet takes some bloodsamples and then he send it to a special lab. One of them is in Bruxelles and ons in Germany. There the blood will be tested for Rabies. The Rabies vaccination had to be done almost a month before the bloodsamples has been taken. Then the results of the bloodsamples come back (free of Rabies of not) and then the dog has to be staying for 6 month after dating of the results at the address that was mentioned on the papers with the bloodsamples. So that all together will be taken about 6 till 9 month before a dog can come over to the UK.
I hope, you are not disappointed now,

Greetings,

Letty from Holland
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 20:49   #3
feivel

I am infact I spoke to Pavel on the phone and he said that he thinks it will be 2-3 weeks tops 1 month....
is it different everywhere?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:02   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley

I am infact I spoke to Pavel on the phone and he said that he thinks it will be 2-3 weeks tops 1 month....
is it different everywhere?
He is right, the bloodtest takes only a few days (it doesn´t show if rabies or not but if the antibodytiter against rabies is high enough) but for UK you have to have 6 month between the taking of the blood sample and the import of the dog. What is pretty stupid but the official reason is the long incubation period of rabies, you can´t differ for sure with one test if the antibodytiter is because of a natural infection or of a vaccination. The inofficial reason was that there have been a lot of people making a living out of quaranteen kennels that had to get something instead, so now you have to wait the former quarantine time, you have to enter the country about special airports and ports and somebody especially authoricised has to check all your papers (very often nobody cares about it at the border). And all of it costs a lot of money. But as you can read up in former postings wolfdogs aren´t allowed at all at the moment - not as normal pet dogs - in the UK.
In Sweden and Norway it´s a little bit easier.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 13:05   #5
feivel

Hi Hi

I just phoned up DEFRA in the UK as I am in the UK :P
I found out that czechoslovakian wolfdogs are again ALLOWED in the UK
:P
Old 03-09-2004, 16:36   #6
Wolfsirius

Is it really so? I guess, is no possibility to register wolfdogs there, what means is no possibility to go to dogshows, or breed wolfdogs. Did you ask about that?

-Suski
-Suski-
Wolfsirius jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 16:54   #7
feivel

I did not ask for breeding and dog shows but I phone them on Monday again to find out they were friendlier than I thought, how many people are actually breeding in the uk??
But I think the good thing is that the wolfdogs are actually to live in the uk again....
Old 03-09-2004, 17:00   #8
Wolfsirius

Ok, that is great to hear! Is often so, that if you use lot of money to import dog, is very shame that it will be only pet, i mean dogshows, and different competitions by now, not breeding. It is very clear that everybody can't be breeder, and of course, even don't want to be.

But if you're looking only company dog, it is very nice to hear that it is ok again there.

-Suski
-Suski-
Wolfsirius jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 19:50   #9
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley

I did not ask for breeding and dog shows but I phone them on Monday again to find out they were friendlier than I thought, how many people are actually breeding in the uk??
But I think the good thing is that the wolfdogs are actually to live in the uk again....
Reading your posting on the german site I don´t think it has changed, you wrote they are still considered a dangerous animal, that means as far as I know you need a special permission to keep them. An if the situation is like in Germany that means you need a save enclosure and so on, you can´t keep them as a normal pet then and not everybody is allowed to keep a "dangerous" animal that wants to.

Pacino should know more.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote