Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 18-03-2010, 05:59   #1
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle
Default It's that time of year again.....

SHEDDING!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun brushing everybody!!

soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 10:41   #2
bite

Send a message via Skype™ to bite

hello I wondered, has anyone tried furminator? was it ok?
bite jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 12:22   #3
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I know there are other opinions, but I love my Furminator! I use it only for a few weeks during this dreaded season - but it was worth every $ I paid for it!
Old 18-03-2010, 17:35   #4
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Us too!

Our furminator works real well! Just have to know when to stop.. otherwise you'll strip off -all- of the undercoat.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 22:53   #5
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Us too!

Our furminator works real well! Just have to know when to stop.. otherwise you'll strip off -all- of the undercoat.
Exactly this!!! Most people don't realize that it's an actual BLADE with a sharp edge being taken to the coat. While it would work well for stubborn areas, I personally prefer to get the dog nice & sopping wet, use a high velocity dryer to blow the coat loose, then use a stiff slicker brush, comb, and flea comb to get out the tougher spots. I personally think it works better without risking damage to the coat!

I'm going through all this with my husky right now. It's always so bad in the spring!
Old 19-03-2010, 02:50   #6
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

My experience with the Furminator and wolfdogs - it doesn't pull hardly any fur off of them - it feels rather uncomfortable in my hand actually if I try - a ripping feeling - unless it's shedding season (which I can always see because of the loose fur tufts - they always start on the hindquarters). It neatly, and quickly, pulls those little tufts off. The whole process takes 1-2 weeks, and then I have my "summer wolfdog" - they look so different in hot and cold weather!
Old 19-03-2010, 04:19   #7
TipTop

I love my furminator, it works like a charm here!

I choose my friends by the way they treat animals.
TipTop jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 08:17   #8
soniakanavle

I love my FURminator too, but believe it or not, most that fur was just what I swept up that was hiding around under the sofa/behind his crate/lurking in dark corners lol.

I don't see that much a difference in the blade than any fine toothed slicker brush, but I only use it during shedding season as well.
Old 19-03-2010, 13:32   #9
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
I don't see that much a difference in the blade than any fine toothed slicker brush, but I only use it during shedding season as well.
The difference is that the furminator was designed off of, and essentially still is, a clipper blade! It's an old technique called "carding" where groomers figured out if they use a clipper blade like an undercoat rake, they can slice out more coat. It's especially useful for terrier-type breeds where they need a harsh coat, as this lends itself well to that texture. I feel the problem is these things are now being mass produced, and little information about how serious a blade it is isn't give to the consumer!

The way all of you are using it is fine, though, since as you mentioned, you're only using it during the highest shedding season. However, prolonged use CAN damage the coat and even go as far as to slice guard hairs if used incorrectly! Slickers, combs, and rakes won't ever go this far.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50   #10
Gypsy Wolf

I use a shedding blade (looks like a loop of metal teeth - used for horses, too) then a coat "rake" (really gets the most out of the coat) and follow that up with a slicker brush. Luckily, I live in FL, so our dogs do not develop the heavy undercoat of a northern dog.
There is a company that will spin your dog's fur until yarn and make you a sweater. I am not sure if I think that is cool or creepy.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26   #11
soniakanavle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
There is a company that will spin your dog's fur until yarn and make you a sweater. I am not sure if I think that is cool or creepy.
Hahaha yeah, my neighbor did that with her Chow Chow's fur. I can't decide if it's cool or creepy either lol. I guess it would be warm but would be bad in the rain. No one wants to smell like a wet dog.