Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 21-03-2011, 16:13   #1
draggar

Default Maturity regression?

We noticed around the time Luna turned one year old she seemed to have regressed in maturity. No housebreaking issues (thank god) but she became rather stand offish (not as social as she used to be), indifferent to people, and displying a lot of puppy-brattiness you typically see in a younger puppy. Luckily the past month or so she's matured (it seems like overnight) into a young adult. This past weekend where she did an entire weekend at a dog show as a demo service dog in training was proof of that - she was often handed off to my wife's friend and there were no issues, handing Luna off was easy and without incident. She has matured a lot the past few weeks - er confidence is up (even finally said hi to a neighbor that she has been skittish around, too).

The past month it seems that Pollux has regressed a lot, too. He no longer trots out the back door when I talk him for a walk and despite a ton of socalization from us since we got him he's become extremely anti-social and VERY skittish around people (even though he's done shows, service work training, etc.). We're back saying we're taking him out for a drag (as opposed to a walk).

Is it common for them to regress for a few months around their first birthday (maybe has something to do with maturity - like humans when we hit our early to mid teens?). Kiri (our GSD) has a slight regression but it didn't seem as severe and sudden as these, I don't remember any regression with Zorro (our malinois).
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 20:34   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Question

I do not know excakly what you mean but...

Hronec did got into he´s "Ghostage" at 12 moth of age, he was barking at stones and runing from dangeraus shrubs Some people was OK, but not men whit a back pack, and we was walking in the mountins, so it was many stones, shrubs and men whit back packs

They all did luck OK to me, just see my photos... Nothing to be scared off

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 22-03-2011, 03:55   #3
Gypsy Wolf

Default Fear Period/Regression

As my hubbie posted earlier, we seem to be having some "regression" issues in our household with Pollux. He is 13 months old and I have been told CsVs have "stormy adolescence" periods... I assumed that meant dominance issues, but Pollux seems to be having fear issues.
He was (and I think IS, normally) a very social boy once we had gotten him past his puppyish environmental sensitivities. Now he is acting like he did when we first got him - situations that he has experienced many times are now "scary" like they were when I first started socializing him. He is in total avoidance of new humans and new dogs - and he used to be VERY social with other "new" dogs.
I am thinking it is just a developmental stage, but I am not sure, and I don't know how long to expect this butt-head behavior.
I am NOT going to change our routine of training, but I will not put pressure on him at this time, for fear of making it worse. I was panning to give it 4 to 6 weeks, but again, I am not sure how long such a stage would last.
Would really appreciate anything people could chare with me about the developmental stages of a male CsV... I refuse to give up on him as I think his real personality is super...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 11:43   #4
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Brukne and her sister also got matured overnight - when they were about 15 months old. Suddenly these crazy dogs, who could easily make you cry, became some kind of... nearly normal

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:28   #5
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
- situations that he has experienced many times are now "scary" like they were when I first started socializing him. He is in total avoidance of new humans and new dogs - and he used to be VERY social with other "new" dogs...
Hronec was exacly like this to, everyting got scary ower one night, but I did think it was just the normal "Ghostage" 4-6 weeks later he was not a boy no more but a man... But yes, IT WAS STONG... He did realy see ghosts And I was a bit worry he would turn shy... But nooppp, he is now very very not shy ( Pitpull farward )

I´m no expert on dog nor CsV behaviour, but I think it is just a stage of Pollux maturing

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 23-03-2011, 15:10   #6
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
He was (and I think IS, normally) a very social boy once we had gotten him past his puppyish environmental sensitivities. Now he is acting like he did when we first got him - situations that he has experienced many times are now "scary" like they were when I first started socializing him.
I can't help you, since I never had a male vclak and our female has been shy neither as a pup, nor youngster, nor is she now. She's always been open and friendly to people (when young, even too friendly!) and her maturing was a continuous process. We do have sometimes minor problems with her, but well, 1. there are always reasons, usually on our side, 2. that's the beuaty of the breed, isn't it

But I wanted to ask you an OT question: I remember our dicussions here from about year ago, when you were getting Pollux to train him into a "working dog". I remember people trying to warn you against such a fast decision and advising more research on kennels, ancestors, characters in vlcaks' lines, etc. etc.

I know that you probably love Pollux dearly and wouldn't exchange him for any other dog, but do you think now, from the perspective of the year spent with vlcaks, your decision was right?

I'm asking this question out of pure curioisty, without any irony or criticism (well Pollux is your pet, it's your life and your decision, not to be questioned by anybody).

Maybe I would put it differently: if a new vlcak enthusiast wanting to get a csv pup as soon as possible, from whichever breeder was ready to sell and send it overseas at a reasonable price turned to you for advice, what would be your reaction now?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:10   #7
Gypsy Wolf

Personally, getting Pollux was NOT my choice (no offence meant to his breeder!)... my friend was the one who had fallen in love with Luna, and desperately wanted a vlcak of her own. Since she knew nothing of what was around and available, I helped her with a list of breedings, pups on the ground, etc. I gave her the information I could find, and selecting Pollux was her choice completely.
She was a little hasty in her decision, I think - she wanted a vlcak immediately and figured that if she got a pup young enough she could mold it to whatever she wanted, regardless of genetics, environment, etc. She felt she could do that.
Pollux was frustrating and she offered co-ownership to me. Since he was living in an outdoor kennel on her property, Ed and I decided to bring him into our home and see what we could do with him ourselves.
I would not have chosen Pollux only because I was NOT in the market for another vlcak! One is enough for me!
So it is really a matter of the dog falling into our lap - NOT through our choice. I really wish that it had worked out for her - he is a lot of work, and is NOT like the other dogs she is used to working with - Malinois, retrievers, etc. and maybe that is part of the problem.
So now he is in our home and treated like all of our other dogs. He is really a stunningly beautiful boy and has some interesting quirks - like he brings me the water bucket when it is empty to tell me to fill it - and I hope that he fulfills his potential in the future.
But no - I wouldn't have chosen Pollux as I was NOT looking for another vlcak... Luna is more than enough to keep me busy! However now that we have him, I am committed to do what I can to maximize his abilities.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:26   #8
Rona
Distinguished Member

Thanks very much for your sincere answer. I have no doubt you're doing the best for him.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote