Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 22-04-2010, 18:23   #61
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Mikael - has your girl peed in other bodies of water?
No, I do not think my girl has peed in the water, but I must ask her about it

But no, my CsV has not just one the ice... and he is a he... He just look like a female on that photo because of the effect -20´C has on the man part

Best regards / Mikael
Old 22-04-2010, 18:29   #62
Gypsy Wolf

Ooops! Did not mean to question his masculinity!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 18:36   #63
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Ooops! Did not mean to question his masculinity!
It´s OK

Best regards / Mikael
Old 30-04-2010, 13:49   #64
draggar

Last weekend's schutzhund session (sorry I didn't get it posted until last night).

Also- Kiri (our GSD) is on a hard sleeve now and is doing pretty well. I'd post those videos too, I won't mention any names but a certain "mom" didn't take a video of me working her.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 20:00   #65
Gypsy Wolf

It wasn't actually Luna's best SchH session - she was hot, tired and is teething, so she was not as energetic as she usually is. Her grips were a little half-hearted, too. It happens when they are teething...
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24   #66
draggar

Luna at schutzhund this weekend. It was hot out so they did 3-4 short sessions.

Kiri wasn't too into it, though.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:19   #67
draggar

We took a bunch of pictures of the little bratty puppy tonight. She's getting big!!

We noticed that with most of the bits her ears are forward or out - not back.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:31   #68
draggar

More schutzhund videos, it was hot out, though.

And we did some basics with Zorro, his second session (his first session was a lot better).

Old 11-05-2010, 03:30   #69
Gypsy Wolf

Zorro is the "UN-Malinois"!! He is a lover not a fighter.
Old 02-06-2010, 21:32   #70
Gypsy Wolf

Default Pool Party!

So, for Memorial Day we were invited to a dog pool party at a friend's house. Luna had a great time - she was the only one who didn't get "time-outs" she got to swim the whole time. She leaps in, spread-eagled and just cruises all around. Even in a new pool, she immediately figured out where the steps are.
Then, of course, naughtiness strikes... the home has a fenced yard, however the rear is a canal, not fencing. So Luna went potty and then saw the canal. I swear I saw hr expression change as she raced to the canal, leaped in and got into the neighbor's yard. I called her and she swam back, but then decided running around was so much fun that she took a few laps, threatening to leap into the canal again, and all I kept thinking was - what am I going to tell Marcy? "Hi, remember the ONLY female born in the first litter whelped here in the U.S. that you co-own with me? Well, there was this alligator..."
I finally caught the bitchlet - she is just a total brat!
Old 17-06-2010, 02:58   #71
Gypsy Wolf

Default First Conformation Class

So Luna had her first conformation class today. I was thrilled to see she REMEMBERED people she'd only met once - back when she was 12 weeks old! And she did really well (aside from not being able to keep still for a moment). Someone was setting off fireworks a field over, which sounded like gunfire, and to my complete surprise, she didn't even startle at the noise. She simply looked over to where it was coming from.
Everyone had to ask what she was (of course) but it was a fun night...
Old 18-06-2010, 04:54   #72
Gypsy Wolf

Default Vlcak Slumber Party!

So my girlfriend asked me to take Pollux home for the night - he needs the exposure/socialization. So he is spending the night here at Casa del Mango, and Luna just loves having a little brother to pick on. Normally she's the one picked on, and normally Pollux picks on the other puppies in his home, so he is getting a dose of his own medicine.
He is calmer than Luna, and likes to cuddle. He is also gorgeous. He models his behavior on the other dogs, which Lunaa does, too, so I am thankful I have stable, obedient dogs for them to model off of. My Malinois was raised modelling off a collie, and is the most neutral, calm, relaxed, sweet and friendly Malinois I have ever met - we joke he is a collie in Malinois clothes! But it is a GOOD thing, as there are not so many Malinois like that...
If I were raising Pollux, I would take advantage of that modelling behavior and not worry about the silly puppy things vlcaks do, like spooking or darting, and just let them see that their "big brother" dog is NOT worried about fire crackers or other loud noises and that strange people mean GOOD things!
Here at my house Pollux met my husband for the first time - initially, he was shocked, but because my Malinois greeted my husband affectionately, Pollux was no longer nervous.
As I write this, he is under my coffee table/desk at my feet - sort of a "cave" for him and he is chewing a bone. If my girlfriend ever doesn't want him, I will definitely take him!
Old 18-06-2010, 17:33   #73
draggar

It's funny how quickly their attitude towards you changes from before you feed them to after - even if they do make a complete mess of their food.
Old 21-06-2010, 19:42   #74
Gypsy Wolf

Default Puppy cam

OK, so they are not vlcaks, but here is a link to the cam my husband set up of our newborn GSD pups http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gsd-cam/
Old 22-06-2010, 01:47   #75
Gypsy Wolf

Default Pollux & Luna - in one house!

So we've been "puppy-sitting" Pollux Crying Wolf for a few days now. My girlfriend is a believer (with some dogs) that it takes a village... well at least to socialize them to various environments, anyway.
Though both exhibit "normal" vlcak behavior, they are very different. Luna is a wild whirlwind of teeth and energy. She is obnoxiously social - happy as heck - and just VIVACIOUS. Oh, and LOUD.
Pollux is like her polar opposite. He is sweet, quiet, reserved, very content to chew on a bone next to you. And the best part is he is a snuggle-bug. He LOVES to snuggle and be held. Luna hates being restrained and cannot sit still for a second, so snuggling is out of the question! She is much more confident in strange situations - she is social and very curious. Pollux prefers to be with his person.
I adore them both, and I love watching them interact with their world. I must admit I LOVE snuggling with Pollux, and look forward to being able to do that once Luna calms down a bit with maturity. Of course it took my Malinois 6 years to mature, so I better not hold my breath.
So having these 2 gives me some insight to the differences between lines and gender - I'd like to take bits of both to create my perfect vlcak. In the meantime, I am perfectly happy with these 2 in my life, even though Pollux isn't really mine... And my husband gave Pollux the highest "honor" he accord to any dog - "unlimited welcome" into our home...
Old 22-06-2010, 14:29   #76
draggar

Quote:
And my husband gave Pollux the highest "honor" he accord to any dog - "unlimited welcome" into our home...
Yep - he's up there with Otis and the corgis. Artemis doesn't need this because she's one of our puppies.
Old 03-07-2010, 21:51   #77
Gypsy Wolf

Default Pollux Crying Wolf

So Pollux is here at Casa del Mango. We adore him. At almost 5 months old, he is starting to look funny. He has this big wedge-head and sturdy combat-boot feet but the rest is skinny, wiry boy pup. Luna, at 6 months, has grown much more evenly so far.
We are working on exposing him to everything - preferably with "big brother" Zorro (my 7 year old Malinois) there. Things that would normally send Pollux into a darting panic are not so scary to him when Zorro is there - Zorro ignores it and so Pollux does, too.
For instance, I took him to a Conformation class at a local park that my friend teaches. I knew there would be plenty of "scary" things there - things that Pollux (or "Puck" as I call him) finds frightening - at least according to my girlfriend, his human mom. So for the first 45 minutes of the class, it was just Puck and I - I have other friends who go to that class, so I chatted with friends and Puck could goof off and socialize with their pup. So things like the Public Address loudspeaker blaring voice and music didn't faze him - nor did the previously-terrifying diesel trucks rumbling past, back-firing. I was so proud! He got LOTS of food rewards and calm praise and stroking. The class instructor is a long-time Tervuren person, so she is well-versed in spooky, shy nervousness - she was armed with delicious hotdogs and approached sideways, no eye contact. Pollux allowed her to exam him all over - even his teeth - without any problem at all. By the end of class, she was able to be very dominant and he was looking forward to her examinations, and when we did a mock "down and back" for her as the judge, Pollux pulled me forward toward her excitedly.
At the end of class, I brought Zorro out, which ended up being a good thing - the Park System maintenance guy drove down in his flat-bed "rhino" (sort of an All-Terrain 4 wheeler vehicle) to pick up the table and other showring props - and Pollux was terrified of the rhino. Of course Zorro was not, so after his initial freak-out Pollux sort of looked around as if embarrassed and began to investigate. Zorro had gone up to the Parks guy (he is the most social Malinois I have ever seen) and so Pollux had to check it out, too. Within minutes, Pollux even had his paws up on the flatbed.
So Zorro is my secret weapon for socializing Pollux to "scary" things. If Zorro likes it, Pollux does, too. Pollux also seems to model off of Luna - I take the two of them to the local dog park to run around, and Pollux will allow strangers to touch and interact with him, if Luna or the other dogs he meets allow it.
So it is interesting to raise such different characters at the same time. The fun in raising a puppy...
Old 14-07-2010, 11:52   #78
draggar

When do they stop with the non-stop barking?
Old 14-07-2010, 15:35   #79
Gypsy Wolf

Oh, honey, Luna is just expressing herself! Be glad she barks! Not all Vlcaks do until maturity and it's a good behavior to have in a Schutzhund and Theatrical dog. You will look back on these puppy times and laugh (or maybe still get annoyed and thank goddess we have adults in the house now...).
Old 30-07-2010, 14:09   #80
draggar

We took Luna and Pongo to the park the other day. Luna is growing up very nicely.