Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 03-02-2013, 23:11   #1
DIMITRIS

Default Poop eating?

Hello! i am a new owner, after a loooot of research i am proud to have a csw little friend! my vlcak is a 3 months old female! I consider my self quite lucky because my puppy is a very fast learner, she knows basic orders, she learned right away to pee and shit in the sand box (she had diarrhea every half an hour and it wasn't possible to wait until she learns to do it during the walk...) and she may have a very intense bite-thing but i believe it is still normal and that it will disappear.
But the thing that worries me is that she eats poop, and not only hers but she gets maniac with EVERY poop she sees(dog, cat, human)! I am giving her supplements the vet suggested but she continues and that's why i am worried that it may be a bad habbit and not that she misses something in her food.. Any idea? i tried correction with "DON'T", I tried just ignoring it (i mean neither punish or approve it just by preventing it first.. but still nothing. Of course it is only 2 weeks that i have her but it may evolve to a problem because she does it (or tries to do it) all the time with excitement!...
DIMITRIS jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:02   #2
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Hi

Disgusting as it may seem poop eating is a normal dog behaviour(albeit undesirable !) ,it is done for many reasons,including exploration(as a young pup) keeping the den clean , a 'meal' (often when the animal hasn't digested food properly or anothers smell more interesting)or from punishment in toilet training....

Last edited by tupacs2legs; 04-02-2013 at 01:04.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post
Hi

Disgusting as it may seem poop eating is a normal dog behaviour(albeit undesirable !) ,it is done for many reasons,including exploration(as a young pup) keeping the den clean , a 'meal' (often when the animal hasn't digested food properly or anothers smell more interesting)or from punishment in toilet training....
...also from imitating mother's behaviour that was earlier "cleaning the den"
Don't worry the pup will grow out of it. Just take her away with strong NO and repeat it consistently even if no immediate results can be seen.

Well, this is a common feature of CSV training: seems inefficient for quite a while, but if the owner perserveres, at some point it starts "operating" As if the dog tried to figure out how imporat it's obedience to his owner was . Your will and stubborness must be stronger than your pup's

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45   #4
Shadowlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
...also from imitating mother's behaviour that was earlier "cleaning the den"
Don't worry the pup will grow out of it. Just take her away with strong NO and repeat it consistently even if no immediate results can be seen.

Well, this is a common feature of CSV training: seems inefficient for quite a while, but if the owner perserveres, at some point it starts "operating" As if the dog tried to figure out how imporat it's obedience to his owner was . Your will and stubborness must be stronger than your pup's
Welcome to the 'family', Dimitris.

We had this issue with Bodi for a while and, like Rona says, she grew out of it. She occasionally shows an interest, but leaves it with a 'NO'

Now you will find out how important it is to be strong willed

Have lots of fun and don't forget to post some pictures...
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 15:41   #5
DIMITRIS

ok! thank you all.. i wasn't sure if a strong "no" will prevent or encourage this situation, but i guess i will continue saying it (oh god she just ate one while i wasnt watching)..Nevermind I have a lot of patience and i actually enjoy the stubborness competition with dogs! ( i once waited 1 hour under rain for my dog to "sit and wait for me first" before i open the yard door to go for walk)..We never punished her about peeing or pooing so it may still be a health issue because i see that she enjoys very much eating the vet's pills like she really needs the ingredients, and maybe it is still early.. I think i will soon post again about the bite issue cause it's like every day becoming worse! but it doesn't worry me for now... Here are some pics, i spent many months watching pics like these on this site and i am really happy that i am the one taking them now! i think she is really sweet and delicate (the little filthy poop eater demon!!)
DSC00163.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

Last edited by DIMITRIS; 04-02-2013 at 15:58.
Old 04-02-2013, 17:20   #6
vila

You really made me laugh about your story! Your demon puppy really reminds me of mine about two years ago. Vila had annoying problems with digestion (non stop diarrhea) until about 8 months. I almost completely switched to raw food and it helped very much, but she was still eating all the poop she could find. And then I slowly realized that she was missing the enzymes so she could process the food. I supplemented her with apple cider vinegar witch did a great part of the job... other part she helped herself with eating all the dirt and poo she could get away with. Of course i tried stopping her, but on walks she is off leash and it's hard to prevent her every time. Now the poop-eating is almost over and can be stopped if I say "leave it". The only thing she still wants to eat is deer droppings, probably she is still searching for some enzymes to help process vegetables and bones she gets. Raw green tripe from beef or sheep/goat is great source of enzymes. Maybe you will find this info useful. Enzymes are really important and often overlooked with raw feeding. Wolves also eat a part of the animal's intestine just for digestion reasons good luck
vila jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33   #7
DIMITRIS

Ok if you laugh here is another one (but without poo): We were playing in the living room and she bit me. After 2-3 "NO!" she continued harder so i stopped playing, ignored her, she continued and i left her alone and went to my room. I was hearing her moaning and howling and waited for her to stop and become calm so i could open the door again. After 20 min. she stopped, but when i was on my way to open the door other noises started:"BANG!KABOOM!".. I was like "OK, i don't care, destroy everything, i am not awarding you by coming there until you calm down.." But no hope she continued the destruction noises for veeery long, so i started surfing in the internet for the time to pass..Then suddenly...NO INTERNET! And no noise.. She had taken down the router from the table and she had peed on (and in) it making it useless.. (coinsidence i know, but..like she knew that the internet helped my patience and she hit my weak spot!.. Then I just gave her a hug! my mistake but couldn't punish her cause i couldnt stop laughing!
By the way she still is attracted to her "things" but slowly starts to hear me when i say "NO" to her poo eating!..We ll see..
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49   #8
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Lovely pics

Ahh,but the moral to that story.... Let your dog out for a pee (I believe she was telling you she needed one,one of my csv's is sooo good in the house,but will do this to try and 'tell me' something...normally he is busting for the toilet )
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 14:30   #9
André

My dog also did the same until +- 6 months old.
Say No and give her some time
André jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:51   #10
vila

Hahahhaha, priceless! good one, just imagine how many more stories you will be able to tell in a few years! hahahha. It seems to me that you have the right mind set to deal with her, so keep calm and carry on it also has a lot to do with phase of maturing she's in now, as she grows older she will be able to be more concentrated and susceptible to your messages - energy, body language and sound. Things may get "hairy" along the way, but remember to kind of "ride the wave". Don't fight it too much, but that of course still means you have to try to correct her mistakes.

My little devil one time was very naughty also. She was about 5 months I think, and we were walking past a meadow, where a group of people were doing some yoga or stretching or something on foam mats. Vila was off-leash and the different weird poses that the people were doing really bothered her, so she ran towards the group about 50 meters away and started sniffing around a lady's face that was lying on her back. The people started laughing because she was still a puppy and they didn't feel threatened by her, so Vila pulled the foam mat from underneath the lady so the lady actually rolled over onto the grass and Vila started running away with the mat. I was chasing her and Vila was growling at me and didn't want to give it to me. In a matter of seconds she tore the mat apart into several pieces with her sharp teeth when I finally got her I pinned her to the ground and put a leash on her. I brought the remaining fraction of the mat back to the group which fortunately found the whole show very amusing and wasn't angry - lucky for me

Last edited by vila; 05-02-2013 at 23:16.
vila jest offline   Reply With Quote