Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 27-04-2011, 11:23   #1
Shadowlands

Default Furminator?

Hi all,

Shadow is having the moult to end all moults this year - no matter how much I brush her, it's still coming out and she's getting a bit bored with it all. I have been seeing stuff about the furminator, but there is a lot of contradictory information/reviews.

Does anyone have experience of using this on a CsV? Is it good for their coats? Does it leave bald bits like I have read in some reviews?

Any experience/advice gratefully received
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:40   #2
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

i do not like them at all they 'rip' the fur out and imo are not good for the sort of coat a csv has.

i just use a 'pin brush' which will not damage the coat.

i find a good swim loosens the fur and when he is dry then i brush him.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 11:53   #3
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I love my Furminator, I use it on all of my CSVs and GSD, no bald spots! I only use it when the dog is shedding though, and the fur is coming out in little clumps, and only on dry fur - I imagine other tools work just as well, but I like the fact that I don't have to clean the furminator as I go, when the shedding fur seems never ending - the fur just falls away. I never use it in other times of the year. My only complaint is that it builds static electricity and gives little zaps that the dogs don't like (like brushing human hair in the winter). As I understood, it is blade like you find on clippers for shaving hair - but I have never found it to "cut" hair in the way I use it.
Old 27-04-2011, 17:23   #4
Tassle

I do not like the way furminators work (from a grooming POV) they are quite good on dogs that need to be stripped for getting the worst off, but not great for the undercoat IMO.

I use a Rake

Which has spinning teeth and a bit of give - it is fantastic about getting the under fur out.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:58   #5
Shadowlands

Tassle,

what make is that? Can I get it online?

Thanks
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:24   #6
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I have one and I use it on my Alaskan Klee Kai with good results. She has a plush undercoat and a typical 'open' coat, so it works well.

It doesn't work as well with my CsV though. I haven't tried to brush him with it much, just ran it over him cause he seemed curious what I was doing with my AKK. Could be that he's still in a short puppy coat though. He just doesn't seem to have the type of plush undercoat the Furminator works well with.

Have to wait until a winter coat to see for sure!
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:29   #7
Silvester

Default Why is it needed to brush a Csv?

Hi and Hello to everybody here first of all ! -

I watched the little discussion here and I want to ask a simple question to you :

Is it really needed to brush a Csv ??
Who is brushing wild canides outside in the forest ?

I remember some years ago we had a simular thread on German wolfdog forum, it was about may be cutting hair of Csv in summer during the hottest time of the year...

At last most people agreed to the opininon, that of course it is not needed or senseful - because our breed is not a poodle or bobtail and still has his natural coat, which is very good adapted to all seasons of the year and all temperatures by changing the structure and density of hair without any need of manipulation by human hands.

I keep my dog 99 percent of time outside, not inside my house, even in cold winter time and he changes his winter to summer fur-coat very easily and without any "help" in some two or three weeks in spring time.

If you have the dog most or all time inside house it might be a little different, but I think even then it´s not needed to do great work on hair and coat, some brushing with normal brush for dogs is just enough.

Best greetings , Silvester from Germany
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:37   #8
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
If you have the dog most or all time inside house it might be a little different, but I think even then it´s not needed to do great work on hair and coat, some brushing with normal brush for dogs is just enough.
This is exactly it! I keep the dogs inside with me unless I am outside with them...

And I don't have to brush, no, but then that would mean I have to vacuum more often, and change the air filter more often (allergies), so brushing seems like the easier of the choices!
Old 27-04-2011, 19:09   #9
tupacs2legs
rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Tassle,

Thanks
there are many makes of 'rakes' all easily bought online or from pet shops cheaply
Old 27-04-2011, 21:25   #10
Tassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Tassle,

Thanks
This one is a Mikki one - I would try and get one that has the give (I do not like the rigid ones)
Old 27-04-2011, 21:26   #11
Tassle

Quote:
Hi and Hello to everybody here first of all ! -

I watched the little discussion here and I want to ask a simple question to you :

Who is brushing wild canides outside in the forest ?

I remember some years ago we had a simular thread on German wolfdog forum, it was about may be cutting hair of Csv in summer during the hottest time of the year...

At last most people agreed to the opininon, that of course it is not needed or senseful - because our breed is not a poodle or bobtail and still has his natural coat, which is very good adapted to all seasons of the year and all temperatures by changing the structure and density of hair without any need of manipulation by human hands.

I keep my dog 99 percent of time outside, not inside my house, even in cold winter time and he changes his winter to summer fur-coat very easily and without any "help" in some two or three weeks in spring time.

Best greetings , Silvester from Germany
I'm afraid my dogs are inside dogs and all that comes with it Hair is brushed out otherwise they get itchy and my floors take twice as long to clean....

And call me vain - I like my dogs to look nice so I get rid of the tufts
Old 27-04-2011, 21:56   #12
tupacs2legs
rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm afraid my dogs are inside dogs and all that comes with it Hair is brushed out otherwise they get itchy and my floors take twice as long to clean....

oh yes the itch!! lol
Old 27-04-2011, 22:29   #13
WolfWhistle

Send a message via MSN to WolfWhistle

Hello.
I don't have CsVs but SWHs and when it comes to MY experience of Furminator I would like to give a little word of warning.

I bought a Furminator last year and it’s SO effective that it’s really easy to overuse it. If I remember the instructions right you should only use it for 10-20 minutes 1-2 a week and you have to be careful not to press it too hard against the dog.

I thought I used it carefully but two of my dogs ended up with hair pore infection (folliculitis) witch gave them itch, bald spots and made them look like they suffered from mange. (had to give them antibiotics to get rid of it.) Afterwards I found out that a friend had the same experience using Furminator on one of her Huskies.

I'm not saying Furminator is a bad tool, just that you have to be careful with it.

/Ninni
Old 27-04-2011, 23:23   #14
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Everytime I dream of having snow here I wait for a sudden wheater change to hot, then I dont brush my dogs and in a matter of days I will have my hot fake cream snow spreaded all over the house, garden and even flying outside.
Well, it's very usefull to substitue the cotton at our christmas three.
Old 28-04-2011, 06:34   #15
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

I use original furminator second year. I have good opinions with it. But first I use "normal" brush and after it I finish with furminator. I have dogs outside, but I don´t want to have full garden and kennels of lost coat. And I want have nice dogs. So I brush them .
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 09:14   #16
Silvester

Originally Posted by Tassle

Yeah, I can agree to all of what you wrote before and I understand you -
but in spite of it, it´s not NEEDED for the dog - only for YOU !

Ok, the wish to have a clean house without dogs-hair inside at any time and the keeping of Csv ( or any other dog with the exception of a poodle ) inside house will always be in the contradiction / collision to each other, no question.

Because of that i wrote my last sentence:
"If you have the dog most or all time inside house it might be a little different, but I think even then it´s not needed to do great work on hair and coat, some brushing with normal brush for dogs is just enough."

Originally posted by Nebulosa:
...then I dont brush my dogs and in a matter of days I will have my hot fake cream snow spreaded all over the house, garden and even flying outside.
Well, it's very usefull to substitue the cotton at our christmas three.

Yes, that´s a nice effect , isn`t it ??

But i have noticed that here in my place it only takes one, maximum two days until the little birds which are building their nests in spring-time have collected and taken away all the hair which is down on the grass in garden... In nature it´s perfect recycling !

(Of course this might be different in South America with complete other climate and time of nesting of birds...)

Best regards, Silvester

Old 28-04-2011, 10:41   #17
Tassle

Quote:

Yeah, I can agree to all of what you wrote before and I understand you -
but in spite of it, it´s not NEEDED for the dog - only for YOU !

I brush mine outside and the hair is taken by the birds - especially at this time of year.

I also think it makes the dogs more comfortable. Yes the hair will fall out of its own accord - but they are very itchy with it - especially with us (UK) at the moment. We have gone from fairly cold to summer temps, I have to keep reminding myself it is spring, but it has been very hot (for us!) and the dogs have had to adjust very quickly!

Also I find it is a bonding thing - my dogs love being groomed - they will come over and push for one or the other to be done.

I guess we all enjoy it
Old 28-04-2011, 11:10   #18
Silvester

Originally posted by Tassle:
Also I find it is a bonding thing - my dogs love being groomed - they will come over and push for one or the other to be done.

I guess we all enjoy it

So that´s fine ! Go on with it if you´re all enjoying this... no question !

Again I say that I only talked about that there is no NEED of doing so -

not about anything else !
Old 28-04-2011, 19:10   #19
yukidomari

Course no need to do so.. otherwise I wouldn't have gotten a CsV..

I don't think I can have dogs that need constant hair care, like Pulik, Komodorok, or even small dogs like Havanese.

But I greatly admire all who can..
Old 28-04-2011, 20:37   #20
Silvester

Originally posted by yukidomari:
(Of)Course no need to do so.. otherwise I wouldn't have gotten a CsV..

I don't think I can have dogs that need constant hair care, like Pulik, Komodorok, or even small dogs like Havanese.

Yeah Yuki - that`s exactly my opinion too !!

But in opposite to you I do not admire people who can have dogs that need constant hair care .....!

And I also have no compassion with them....