Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 17-08-2010, 19:23   #1
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Degenerative Myelopathy in USA/Canada CSVs

I have been in contact with the Ms. Hansen of the Animal Molecular Genetics Laboratory of the University of Missouri about DM in our breed. I received the following message from her, which she asked me to forward to other owners in Canada and the US (I am not sure if this was because of blood sample preservation, or because I wrote as a representative of the American club). They will test 15 of our dogs - FOR FREE! This is a great way to help the breed - please step up to the plate!!!! All pedigree information is kept confidential unless the owner chooses to share it. If you are interested, please contact me so I can forward the forms to you. If you are a breeder, or know someone who has a dog in the US/Canada, please direct them to this message. Ms. Hansen also asked that owners contact her prior to submitting samples, so they don't receive more than they agreed to test for free. Also ANY dog with a diagnosis of DM qualifies for a free test (I think this is true for owners in Europe, too).

Please note, they are also interested in possibly doing some samples for pituitary dwarfism.

Thanks - and I hope to hear from North American owners.

Marcy

Dear Marcy
We are the lab that discovered the mutation causing DM. We have offered a free DNA test for any dog (any breed, and mixes) showing clinical signs of DM and with a presumptive diagnosis of DM from their veterinarian or neurologist, if the owners (or vet) will send a blood sample and information that we ask for on our test request form. Because of this, we have samples sent from all over the world by neurologists with client dogs that they suspect have DM. We have had samples from 3 dogs identified as Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs (hopefully Wolfdog = Vlcak – I believe that’s the translation I was given) sent by European neurologists. All 3 did have symptoms of DM, and all 3 did test as AFFECTED with our DNA test. Recently we received spinal cord and other necropsy samples from one of the European dogs, and the pathology exam did confirm the cellular changes typical of DM, so we have also confirmed it that way. We had 2 DM tests purchased for Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs during the World Show in Denmark, one tested NORMAL, one tested CARRIER.

So, unfortunately, yes your breed does have a DM problem. The research to identify the DM mutation is completed, and the research here now is focused on trying to find possible additional mutations that may influence age of onset or other factors, and on finding an effective treatment. In terms of assisting with defining DM in your breed, we’ve already done that. We have been doing an all-breed survey to see where the mutation exists, and we’ve seen the mutation in over 100 breeds and mixed breed dogs. We’re trying to get at least 20 from every breed to include them in the survey. Right now, we have 5 samples from your breed. We’re willing to test another 15 at no charge if the owners will send in a blood sample and pedigree copy (the pedigree info is kept strictly confidential – we need it to see how the dogs are – or are not – related to others we have sampled). I am attaching a file with instructions, a general info page, and a DM-specific questionnaire. Please send pg 2&3 to us with the sample and pedigree. If these are clinically normal dogs, write “DM breed survey – no charge” on the page with owner and dog info. It would be best if people check with me if they’re sending these so I know how many free ones are on the way.

Also, any owner of a dog showing DM symptoms can qualify for a free test as I’ve described. We also have this info on our website – www.CanineGeneticDiseases.net , click on DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY, and then go to SAMPLE SUBMISSION. The “Samples for Ongoing Research” section has a “click here” link that takes you to the same file I’m attaching to this email.

It would be a good idea for owners to test any dogs being considered for breeding, and then use the test results to breed wisely, avoiding choices that are likely to produce puppies destined to become affected. Any dog can be tested by purchasing the test through OFA – www.OFFA.org, click on OFA DNA TESTS and follow the links there to order. For the tests ordered through OFA, the fee is $65 and DNA is collected by cheek swab – OFA will send a kit and instructions, and report results back to the owner. The test is run here in our lab, but OFA does all the customer service and reporting.

I spoke to Dr Johnson, and he said if there are dogs with pituitary dwarfism that we could get samples from, we’d be happy to have those sent as well – we can try to map that disease and identify a mutation. Ideal samples are affected dogs plus normal siblings, parents, and if possible, grandparents. I can send a “general use” form for these samples if any owners want to send them in. There is no charge for these samples for research, but we cannot predict how quickly we may be able to make progress on mapping it – it’s research, and that’s unpredictable.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. You are welcome to share this information with the breed fanciers here in the US and Canada. I hope we can help your small-numbers breed to be healthier in future generations.

Liz

Liz Hansen

Animal Molecular Genetics Laboratory

University of Missouri - College of Veterinary Medicine

Last edited by GalomyOak; 17-08-2010 at 19:34.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 20:18   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
I have been in contact with the Ms. Hansen of the Animal Molecular Genetics Laboratory of the University of Missouri about DM in our breed.

They will test 15 of our dogs - FOR FREE!Please note, they are also interested in possibly doing some samples for pituitary dwarfism.
Good news for both the U.S and the breed
Thanks Marcy Good work !!!

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 17-08-2010, 20:20   #3
rivals

This is excellent news!
rivals jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 20:24   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Though that is a good opportunity to get your dogs tested and get an overview about the situation on this mutated gene, European scientists working on DM clearly state that there is not the one gene that causes the disease, some of them, like Bern, even don´t recommend the test, because it cannot be used for a proper working breeding management.
At the moment it seems, that like in humans, the disease is caused by different genes and ways of heritage that only cause the same symptoms and neurological and histological findings.
Bern will start a research program on DM on our breed and details of this, also cost free opportunity, will be published soon on wolfdog.org. So it might be easier to wait a little bit to visit your vet only once to get some samples for Missouri and Bern at the same time. For this research every dog available will be a great help.

Greetings
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 21:04   #5
draggar

PM sent. I have a feeling that Sara hasn't seen this yet.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 22:21   #6
Enid Black

Great initiative from U.S. Laboratory, really!
Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 22:29   #7
mijke

Great work Marcy!

As I did write before in other topics, a lot of labs are very glad with blood samples for special research for a genetic disease.
That is why I always support owners to store DNA and then they can decide to which lab they want to send DNA for more research.
And also this lab wants (just like Bern) to do more research for DM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
The research to identify the DM mutation is completed, and the research here now is focused on trying to find possible additional mutations that may influence age of onset or other factors, and on finding an effective treatment.
You also can tell Ms Hansen that the mutation for dwarfism is already identified by the Dutch uni in Utrecht. They are now working at the official scientific publication. (I'll contact you by mail with more details)

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 13:01   #8
SARKA
Arimminum Kennel

Send a message via Skype™ to SARKA

Ambra Vlci Nadeje
result: Myeolopathy - PCR
result: Genotype N/N free

Arimminum X-Incognita

Arimminum Lorenz Farouk
Old 27-08-2010, 19:37   #9
draggar

Congratz, Sarka!
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 21:30   #10
robertomaggio

I'm very happy Sarka.Congratulation.
At this moment all dogs Arimminum that you tested are N/N.
I hope for other kennel the similar results.
Ciao
Roberto
robertomaggio jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 21:28   #11
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Have 15 US/Can CsVs taken up this offer? Does it still stand?
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:34   #12
Shadowlands

I've sent the link to someone I know in the States who has a CsV - just in case they don't see this...

Sarka, congratulations on your fantastic results - gives me hope for the father of our puppies (who hasn't been tested yet) being clear too. We are offering the test to all our puppies owners, so far have had a 50% take up - hoping for more...

Marcy, well done for organising this . I hope the labs in the US and in Europe are co-operating with each other as progress will be faster if they share than if they all work independently..

Last edited by Shadowlands; 04-05-2011 at 08:39.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote