Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 07-12-2006, 15:07   #33
Morgaine

I've contacted defra a few weeks ago and today a reply came.
I wrote them about Saarloos wolfdogs but i think it will aply for CZW too.
This is what they wrote:

Dear ....

SAARLOOS WOLFDOG

Thank you for your email of 16 November about enquiring about the wolfdogs in the UK. I have been asked to reply.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act is currently under review. Following consultations in 2001/2 and 2004, and advice from a panel of experts, changes to the 1976 Act's schedule are now planned for 2007 alongside the Animal Welfare Bill coming into force. Final decisions on the detail of the amendments will be taken at that time. In the meantime, the existing Schedule remains in force.

The Act regulates the keeping of certain kinds of dangerous animals as pets. Licences are required for any animal which appears on a schedule to the Act. Wolf-dog hybrids are not a true species but rather a hybrid of the domestic dog crossed with the wolf. Such animals technically fall within the Act's catch-all listing of all species of Canidae (i.e. the dog family) with certain exceptions such as Canis familiaris, the domestic dog. Our policy is that such animals are included in the Act's listing and therefore require licensing.

In the UK local authorities are responsible for licensing and enforcement under the Act. If an animal is many generations removed from the wolf ancestor and is essentially indistinguishable from a domestic dog in appearance and behaviour, then a local authority might conceivably choose to exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog, but this will of course have to be decided by them and not the owner.

With regard to importing an animal into Great Britain that is listed on the schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, the owner will need to obtain a licence from the local authority where the wolfdog will be residing before it can be brought into this country. It is the responsibility of the owner or keeper of the animal to notify the appropriate UK local authority if they intend to import an animal which may technically be subject to the Act.

Yours sincerely

J. T.
Customer Contact Unit

It is not much but atleast there are changes to be made, hopefully to the benefit of wolfdogs.
Morgaine jest offline   Reply With Quote