Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 29-12-2011, 12:47   #1
Priska182
Canadian Member

Question Good night...

Hi everyone,

My second Vlcak is now in my life, he is an amazing baby boy and I'm really proud of him. It's his first day home and he is already really friendly, like to take walk with us and it's look like he is already part of the family...

But... Well maybe it's been a while that I haven't got a puppy home (Priska was 12 1/2 years old), its 5h45 AM here and he is still crying, howling... Do you have any advices about it?
He is in a room with is create open on an X-pen, he had some toys and water...

Thank you very much

Stéphanie
Old 29-12-2011, 13:09   #2
Baz

At this early age & time I would take him into your room to sleep (I don't mean on the bed), it will be good for him to bond to you too. Later on you can move him out if you wish when he's a bit more "grown-up". Of course other people may advise you to ignore the cries but I think at this early time he just needs to be part of the pack.

Last edited by Baz; 29-12-2011 at 13:50.
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:40   #3
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

hi

i do the same as baz,i always sleep pups in the same room as me and slowly edge them out the room and down the stairs to where i want them(saying that my csv still sleeps with me lol)...for a pack animal its too harsh imo to make them leave their litter mates and mum,go to a new home then 'abandon' them all alone
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:53   #4
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

This is one of the few times it's helpful to have more than one dog. My little Anthea cried for a few weeks when she was left alone during the day (when I had to work), but my other dogs settled more quickly because there was always another dog around when I was gone. With Anthea, I used to crate her beside my bed for the first few months (a plastic one, because she would become very excited to see me open the crate and pee everywhere! ). One thing I learned with my dogs though - if they do get to howling/whining, is to wait until they stop on their own before I give them attention. Otherwise they think they have trained you...

And congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see photos!!!
Old 29-12-2011, 17:40   #5
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Too much space like an ex-pen would do the same for mine when he was small. We used a small airliner crate for him at night. To be honest though, he's always been pretty quiet, except for a few minutes of complaining for the first few nights. I'd crate him in his own room away from other people and dogs, so he'd fall asleep. Otherwise, he always wanted to come out and interact with others.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 23:48   #6
Priska182
Canadian Member

Smile

Thanks for your advises
In fact Marcy it's easier with another dog to stay with the young pup...
Well finally I have spent the rest of our night with him in is room (I don't want him in our bed room, I know it's easier but I prefer allow him is own room)... With me sleeping next to is X-pen he was more comfortable and finally falls asleep... It's was a really bad night for the entire family
Now he is sleeping in is crate and X-pen... I pass some time near him and this time I have been able to let him alone without awake him... I crossed my fingers...
And, tonight I will try the same thing...
I really hope it will work this time…
Thanks again
Old 30-12-2011, 00:50   #7
Enid Black

Hi! Have you put some old clothes with your smell with the puppy? Or better, with his mum's smell? I had Spettro sleeping alone in his crate since first night (he was a very good boy anyway, sleeping alone from the beginning without almost complaining), and I had brought to my breeder a bunch of old clothes that she put with the puppies and the mummy, and she gave them back to me for making him stay with his family's smell .

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 20:17   #8
Priska182
Canadian Member

Smile

Well second night was really better!!! We reduce the size of his room and I send the night sleeping near his X-pen...
Tonight I will do the same and try get back to my own bed after few hours... We will see...