Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 02-03-2010, 21:48   #1
Girlie

Default Wolfdog Puppies????

How much would it cost a prospective buyer of a very good bloodline of wolfdog puppy for:

pick up at breeder's kennel?
via shipping OUTSIDE the country of origin?

Girlie
Girlie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33   #2
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlie View Post
How much would it cost a prospective buyer of a very good bloodline of wolfdog puppy for:

Girlie
pick up at breeder's kennel? DEPENDS ON KENNEL!!
from 600 euros to 3.000 euros

via shipping?
you want to ship a wolfdog puppy??
i wouldn't give you a puppy even for 20.000 euros....
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42   #3
draggar

When we were looking I think my wife did speak to a breeder or two in the Czech Republic and they quoted her $2500-$4000 (US $).

But - are you looking for a vlcak, lupo, or a saarloos?

Edit: shipping a dog is usually anywhere form $200 and up, depending on the airline and the distance. You also need to consider vaccinations, rabies, and any needed quarantine (depending on the originating country and the destination country) which can add a couple to several hundred dollars onto the cost.

Last edited by draggar; 03-03-2010 at 04:48.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11   #4
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

I see you are from US. So shipping for example from Czech republic to USA is + - 600Euro.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36   #5
massimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
I see you are from US. So shipping for example from Czech republic to USA is + - 600Euro.
Hanka, small question: you would really ship one of your puppies to USA if they gave you an amount of money high enough?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51   #6
Hanka

Hello Massimo. When somebody contact me about puppy, I in all cases write with this person much emails. About him, about breed, about everything. If we both are sure it can be good owner, I sell puppy. Like every breeder.
Not all people can travel over ocean for puppy. Not all people are so rich, but they want puppy. What they can do?
I have not bad opinions wit selling of puppy over sea. I am in contact with all my american pups. They are happy family dogs and I have info, fotos about them. I had only one "misunderstanding", when boy (or young man) bought puppy and he ended to inform me about puppy. But now I am in contact with his mother and everything continue well.
More often is for me bigger problem to contact my "czech owners".
Everybody can have different meaning about it. But my meaning is: why not.
It is not question of money like you write: "if somebody gives you enough of money".
Old 03-03-2010, 13:09   #7
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
When we were looking I think my wife did speak to a breeder or two in the Czech Republic and they quoted her $2500-$4000 (US $).
For such amount of money they wanted to sell you for sure the WHOLE litter and only one puppy....

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 13:32   #8
massimo

Quote:
Hello Massimo. When somebody contact me about puppy, I in all cases write with this person much emails. About him, about breed, about everything. If we both are sure it can be good owner, I sell puppy. Like every breeder.
Not all people can travel over ocean for puppy. Not all people are so rich, but they want puppy. What they can do?
I have not bad opinions wit selling of puppy over sea. I am in contact with all my american pups. They are happy family dogs and I have info, fotos about them. I had only one "misunderstanding", when boy (or young man) bought puppy and he ended to inform me about puppy. But now I am in contact with his mother and everything continue well.
More often is for me bigger problem to contact my "czech owners".
Everybody can have different meaning about it. But my meaning is: why not.
It is not question of money like you write: "if somebody gives you enough of money".
Sorry, we surely have different opinions
I would give a dog far away like USA only if owner takes the dog with him.
Shipping the dog alone I would not do.
Different opinions of course.
Old 03-03-2010, 13:35   #9
Hanka

OK, no problem
Old 03-03-2010, 13:46   #10
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo View Post
For such amount of money they wanted to sell you for sure the WHOLE litter and only one puppy....
There are other reasons to quote high prices, it helps weed out the people looking for "a dog" as opposed to someone looking for that specific breed for specific reasons and has a gameplan for the dog working, showing etc..).
Old 03-03-2010, 14:39   #11
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
There are other reasons to quote high prices, it helps weed out the people looking for "a dog" as opposed to someone looking for that specific breed for specific reasons and has a gameplan for the dog working, showing etc..).
Hi,

I personally think high price policy doesn't help selecting "good" owners from "bad" owners.
Believe me, I know people who would pay such a price for a certain dog just to keep that animal in a kennel using it as a breeding machine.
Do you mind naming the breeder asking for such a price, I'm really curious.
To me it's a complete rip off.

Michael
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 15:06   #12
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Hi,

I personally think high price policy doesn't help selecting "good" owners from "bad" owners.
Believe me, I know people who would pay such a price for a certain dog just to keep that animal in a kennel using it as a breeding machine.
Do you mind naming the breeder asking for such a price, I'm really curious.
To me it's a complete rip off.
I don't know who it was - my wife talked to them but during the talks the price dropped, considerably (the quote also included shipping if we weren't able to fly there to get it). We've seen this with most of the dogs we've taken in.

I guess things are very different in the EU than they are here in the US in regards to dogs. While I do agree that the price doesn't fully qualify the buyer, it helps weed out the "just a dog" kind of people. Generally people here looking for a kennel dog / breeding machine are in it solely for the money so they won't shell out the high amount of money for a dog.

Seperating good owners from bad owners comes later on when the breeder communicates with the potential buyer. Most experienced and reputible breeders know what questions to ask and know what to look for with red flags.
Old 03-03-2010, 16:58   #13
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Entirely torn on this one.

My first puppy was shipped to me. I talked with the breeder nearly every day by email, with translator, for several months. My puppy was available in winter, which was entirely not an option for me to travel, since I am a teacher, and my "free schedule" is dictated by my employer...period. My free periods are: summer, 1.5 weeks at Christmas, the first week in April - and that is it...since most CSV puppies are available in winter - it becomes very difficult for the breeder to care for a puppy for many extra months until I can fly. As an owner, I knew I was prepared for whatever walked off of the plane...luckily it was Anthea.

My second dog flew to me accompanied by his owner (he was 11 months, and this method was actually very cost effective because of his size). My breeder and her daughter stayed with me for a week, and we had a very lovely time touring this part of the US. Later, the same breeder shipped my next puppy (different litter) to me.

Last year, I had arrangements to pick up my next puppy from Italy, at the breeder's insistance - it was going to be a very short trip (and costly, if you travel to Europe for less than 2 weeks, it can be quite expensive with the airlines). But, as it turned out, there wasn't a puppy available from that litter - which actually turned out fine, since my Bongo's litter became available shortly after that...he is such a friendly, handsome, gentleman.

In the interim, I flew to Europe, and saw many wolfdogs, stayed with some awesome owners/breeders, and watched a bonitation - but didn't take any dogs home with me.

As a breeder, I insisted all of my new owners come to my house to pick their puppy up - and more importantly, meet my other adult dogs. As an owner in the US, I see so many potential problems with many people that contact me...it is very risky business to ship a puppy here. But, I don't know how much that risk is decreased by briefly meeting the owner when they come to pick up their puppy, as opposed to contacting the new owner by email for many months (and also asking for references to experience)...people can be very good at lying, or hiding their true ability to handle this breed - having the time/money to travel and meet the breeder doesn't mean they are any better of an owner - only that they have availability and money.

As far as the actual flying...being shipped as "cargo" (alone) is sometimes a less stressful method for the dog. Cargo companies find the shortest, quickest route for the puppy - if there is a necessary layover (single, direct flight is always better), many companies (I've been very happy with KLM) offer a highly trained staff at a "pet hotel" - they also deal with animals such as tigers and elephants. Unless a puppy is very, very small, in most cases, it is too big to fly with the owner in the passenger area - most airlines say the conditioned, quiet area of the cargo hold is less stressful than the passenger area to a puppy. So instead, the puppy is flown in the same area of the plane as if it were "shipped" - but often with longer wait times, since it must accompany it's owner's flights - which can have very long gaps of waiting time.

I think the biggest risk to plan for in sending a puppy far away is - what if things don't work out? Is there someone that is willing to rescue the puppy? Or will the new owner or breeder pay to ship the puppy back across the ocean?

I am really grateful to the breeders who took a risk with me...but I don't think I would go as far as to recommend sending a puppy here either, unless there was a way to verify if someone would give a good home, even if it causes problems for me....hopefully, a US breed club will eventually be able to help new owners and breeders to come to a happy, comfortable situation - and also lend support if there are problems. I never paid even close to US$4,000 for a puppy. Massimo, I think some breeders you are very close with have agreed to send puppies only on trust - and luckily, it turned out very well.

As far as asking about price in the first email - I think there are some cultural differences. Americans see asking about price first as a sign of respect - "I know how much money I can afford, so I will ask the breeder - if I can't afford the breeder's price, I don't want to waste the breeder's time, it's rude." Bargaining, or talking down prices (with the exception of houses and cars) is a very strange concept for us - the first price given is what we consider the final price. I think asking about price in the first email is offensive in Europe? Or maybe I am wrong?

Marcy
Old 03-03-2010, 17:09   #14
michaelundinaeichhorn

Yes you are right, at least in Germany it is no good sign if the person asks for the price as the first question, it very often is a hint that they are so short of money that every bigger need of the dog like a surgery etc. will be a problem or that they are simply looking for a cheap dog.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 17:22   #15
Rona
Distinguished Member

Welcome to my professional discipline - intercultural business communication!

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 17:53   #16
Girlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
pick up at breeder's kennel? DEPENDS ON KENNEL!!
from 600 euros to 3.000 euros

via shipping?
you want to ship a wolfdog puppy??
i wouldn't give you a puppy even for 20.000 euros....
Sorry, what i meant in shipping is not LITERALLY by SHIP. "transporting" (of course via airlines). Got my GSDs from Czech Republik, may MALINOIS from Belgium shipping via AIR.

To all who answered my post, thanks you so much.
Girlie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:37   #17
Hanka

Wow, I hope all people "speak" here about shipping by plane, of course!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 21:12   #18
massimo

Quote:
Wow, I hope all people "speak" here about shipping by plane, of course!!!!
I meant shipping by plane, not by boat, and however STILL disagree
Old 04-03-2010, 22:50   #19
solowolf

Quote:

Girlie
hi, i have imported and exported dogs to and fro from uk and Usa for many years, it is not hard as long as you make sure you get everything correct and in plenty of time, you must find out if you need importation paperwork and that all is checked before flight,diffferent states have different rules and laws so check up with proper authorities, last thing you want is for your pup to be held up at airport because one small detail has been overlooked, or a mistake has been made in paperwork, pups from uk can travel to Usa at 12 weeeks old and do not require quarentine of any period, when i am exporting a pup i have pup in the house and train it to living in a crate, this reduces stress as the pup is used to the crate, it will obviously suffer some stress but i am sure it helps, also there are different types of sky kennels, i use the ones with bars not mesh, i do this because cws puppies love to chew and mouth things, i have over the years experienced young pups biteing at mesh and getting the large cannines caught in the mesh with there mouths wide open, i do not use vet bed or any sort of bedding incase the pup will chew on it and choke, i use only thick layers of news paper. if you travel to uk to pick up the pup and book it on flight as access bagage the flight is cheaper, access bagage sounds terrible but it is worth it, you can also make arrangments that the pup is checked during the flight by one of the flight staff. any dogs i have imported have been ok, they are stressed but soon get over it, normally next day they are running about carefree, many have been playing in my home only hours after the flight, i do not have any personal experiences of importing dogs older that 12 weeks so i could not say if it is less stressful for older dog to travel by plane. many people are against long flights for animals but i think if you want a Czechoslovakian wolfdog then you have a right to enjoy this wonderful breed as much as the next person, i hope some of this is of help to you, best regards paul
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40   #20
miran

Quote:

Girlie
May I ask where you live?
miran jest offline   Reply With Quote