Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:51   #1
André

Post Practical info for a new owner

Hi,

After studying all I could about socialization, temperament and CzW specific need, as a future owner I'd like to know some practical info. This could be a good post to other people too. My questions:

- What height would you recommend to a garden fence? 1.8m is ok?
- How much a wolfdog eat per day? More or less than a German Shepherd?
- Any of you have a bicycle acessory to fasten the dog leash in a secure way?

Thanks in advance!
I'm eager to run with my dog
André jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:50   #2
Enid Black

Hi! I will be soon a owner of a little CZW (Spettro is coming home in six weeks, he's two weeks old now ). I do not know about the second and third question but...

1,8 metres can be enough if it's a quiet type. But as you do not have the certainty... raise it to 2 metres at least and with a upper part bent on the inside of the garden. It makes your garden looking like fort knox? Yes, but it's safer.

Make sure the fence is stud and strong and that it is not possible to dig under it... they do it too!

Good luck to you too!!

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 13:45   #3
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

My dog did get out from the kennel yard more than ones, every time it was through the fence, it was when he was alone, now he has a girl and do not try to run no where

If you already have a fence on 1,8m I would try it out, but you must build dig protection before you even let a puppy in

Best regards / Mikael
Old 06-10-2010, 18:30   #4
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

The CSV that I have seen before can jump very high, I believe higher than my Doberman could when he was younger. We had a plank fence about 1.8m high too, no footholds, with about 3-4ft of concrete under the ground. We had a pool so those were the rules for housing with pools (so no kids can get in and accidentally drown).

Yet Lantis could escape once chasing a cat...

Not only the height of the fence matters but also depends on what and how the fence is constructed. If it is chain-link, it is easy for the dog to climb the fence.

Some people I know who do rescue work recommend that if you use chain-link, to make the top portion inward slanting so that even if the dog climbs the fence he cannot escape out the top.

- Jing

Edit: Also yes, bicycle fastener. I like WalkyDog bicycle fastener. It has a pull-absorber so you won't fall off the bike if the dog pulls. But I am in the US right now, maybe you can find one equivalent? It looks something like this:
http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkyd...ike-leash.html

Last edited by yukidomari; 06-10-2010 at 18:43.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote