View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 20:16   #36
Gypsy Wolf

Firstly, I didn't mean to open a can of worms!
The dictionary definition of a "breed" is "a relatively homogenous group of animals within a species, developed and maintained by humans." According to most registries, that means that the members of said breed must breed "true" - produce similar animals. That's one reason "labrodoodles" aren't a breed - they do not breed true after F1. Alaskan huskies haven't been purpose-bred for as long a time as other breeds like a greyhound (perhaps when they are an older breed we will see more homogenosity)- and though there is a difference between show and racing greyhounds, it is clear they are the same breed.
Part of the reason for the physical standard is not only to maintain "type" but to promote correct structure for that particular breed. It's not for "pretty" as much as for function. For instance, the angulation in the GSD - that is supposed to promote the breed as an efficient trotting dog - covering the most amount of ground with the least amount of steps. The American-Line GSDs took that quite far - so far they now walk on their pasterns and hocks and can no longer get over jumps.
Yes, there is certainly room for interpretation, but some things are just OBVIOUS. I have seen GSDs in the AKC ring hit the deck in fear during the "temperament test" and get FIRST PLACE. There is no question that that is not a correct temperament! The dog should've been excused, but instead, it had a lovely, extreme side gait so was rewarded.
The Vlcak's standard is to maintain both physical structure and type and character traits - "shyness is to be disqualified." That means, to me, that no matter how good and perfectly built a shy dog is, it should not be bred.
Again, there is room for interpretation... Luna can be aloof and hesitant in new situations, but I do not see "shyness." There is no running away or cowering behind me. Perhaps a Labrador person would consider her aloofness "shy" as they are used to a very gregarious breed.
Anyway, the point for me, is to maintain the breed, as best I can, to the standard, by word and "in spirit" - the stuff between the lines that is not written down, like courage, drive and heart. I am a steward of an amazing breed and I don't want to "water it down" just because it is more difficult to live with than a collie... American breeders are famous for doing just that - look at the American Doberman for instance - totally different temperament than the German dogs. The Am-line Dobes are sweet, soft dogs - excellent "pets" but not so good for what they were bred to do.
There are those who argue that the work of dogs has changed, and yes it has, to a degree, but I don't want to sacrifice the working character of the Vlcak just to make it a "good pet"...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote