Thread: CzW in Serbia
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2011, 16:58   #4
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

The thing is with CSVs, no 2 are exactly alike, so it's hard to say what would work exactly for a "hypothetical" dog. I have 2 CSVs that have no problem to be around cats (chickens are a different story! Everybody would like an opportunity to chase those - but my CSVs met the chickens after they were all older, and not little puppies). I have other CSVs who one day in their older puppyhood became veeeeery interested in cats...and I know not to trust the those dogs unsupervised around the cats. All of my dogs have a similar background in the way they were raised and socialized and trained; 2 also have identical parents. All have very different temperaments and needs though. Some like to climb (tall fences included), others to chew, some to dig, others to jump, especially as puppies/teenagers. Some are quite dominant towards other dogs (usually of the same sex, but not always). Others have no problem with any other dogs, although they ALL play very roughly, which is too much for some shy/timid/insecure dogs. Some of my dogs are quite content to lay around the house for much of the day on a soft cushion - they would be great in an apartment, others stare at the door all day waiting to go outside and run, I can't imagine trying to keep up with them without big open spaces.I try to think of each the same way a parent thinks about a child - knowing that each has some weaknesses, but also that each has some strengths. I love them all equally, and we grow and make adaptations. They have funny periods as they grow where they seem more defiant, sometimes more suspicious, sometimes more dominant towards other dogs, but these moments tend to smooth out, or at least become consistant and predictable, which is good for training, as they mature.

Like yukidomari said, don't let proximity become a deciding factor. You will spend a lot of money for a puppy, you might as well spend a bit extra to make sure the puppy is as close as possible to what you want. Look for a breeder that socializes all of their dogs to many situations, animals, people - and also one that will be honest about the good and bad traits of their dogs, and not just make the parents out to be superheroes. A good breeder is also very familiar with the individual emerging personalities of the puppies, and will either choose, or help you to choose, a puppy that shows promise to fit your needs. Ask about why they chose to breed the dogs they did, make sure they will be there to support you if you have questions or problems...and never be afraid to ask questions, or to take advice of people with experience. I don't think anyone (myself included!), even with many hours of research, knows completely what they are getting into with their first CSV "darling". Everyday is something new to learn for the owner, you must keep a very open, patient, active mind!