View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47   #21
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I absolutely agree that this breed should be protected, which is part of why I think a breed club would be a good idea. For potential future owners, a US breed club would likely be the first stop in their search- and would be a chance for experienced CsV owners to educate, and either help a potential owner that is a good match for the breed, or politely help to dissuade someone that is interested for the wrong reasons - before they purchase a dog. Also in forming a breed club, I think we would be protecting ourselves in the horrible event that some dog warden might try see to them as a hybrid - by being part of a club for a dog breed. It would be a great place to maintain records of our dog's clean record of behavior (no biting, or attacking), and of their future accomplishments.

We licensed our dog last week in our county with her breed name "Ceskoslovensky Vlcak", and also presented her to our vet with the same breed name (our vet is very involved in the local AKC/UKC agility string), with no problems. In our state, it is legal to own a hybrid - the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has left it up to localities to control hybrids, and within our county, it is legal to own a hybrid with a permit, which of course has it's own stipulations for enclosures, and liability insurance. But of course, our dog is not a hybrid, and we never emphasize her wolf heritage to people that are encountering the breed for the first time. First impressions seem to go much better when people realize that it is a dog they are meeting - after lots of dog kisses and belly rubs, we are happy to answer questions. Anthea was quite the charmer at the vet's office for her examination, behaving perfectly - not shy, not aggressive, and appropriately interested in the happenings of the clinic. She was also her very obedient self - for treats, of course! I wish we could say the same for our GSD who also tagged along with us- she is not a fan of vet clinic visits.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote