View Single Post
Old 31-12-2011, 10:26   #60
Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerwolve2 View Post
Nothing much new has happened as far as I know. There are some wolfdogs but they are not bred to look anything like wolves. They are working dogs and not sold to the general public.

As hard as it is for importing I can only respect the lengths they go to. We are a very lucky country in alot of ways.

I would not want to see a permit on them (other than a permit for dog ownership in general) as I dont think this would help the image of wolfdogs being a special BREED rather than a hybrid. If they think they need a permit you can expect the breed to be at riskk of being banned all together.

Ive owned a wolfdog myself in the past. I hope to again in the future but its a rather expensive process and then at the end of the day the dramas of placing a puppy in the right home if you breed. That can be a total nightmare!

The best solution I have heard for importing has been to actually travel overseas, spend time forming a good bond and allowing the dog/s to mature before attempting importation.

Its a delicate situation and best handled carefully rather than diving in and creating a bad reputation for the breed right off the bat.

Dingoes are different again. They can be wonderful companions in their own way though. What an exciting experience for you.
Yeah, in a few years when I have the time if there isn't anything in Australia, I'll live in the country of export for a year, so I can buy them and then I can train them myself and I'll be able to take the puppies to the vets for all the vaccinations and microchipping myself.

When purchasing a dog from countries that are rabies free, I don't really understand why there needs to be so much time before export, but your right, it's best to be safe.

Yes, I love my dingoes. They're alpine dingoes, so they have the lovely thick coat. Challenging, but very rewarding.