Thread: DM Testresults
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2011, 22:23   #194
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

Quote:
Originally Posted by woland77 View Post
Sorry Margo, this example has no basis, has no sense.
Baron is DM/DM; it is possible, it is probable, it is plausible that he has inherited the genes from two heterozygous ... considering that the homozygous can't show symptoms (and these symptoms are in no way connected to the physical deterioration caused by age old), I do not understand what's so strange (enough to be cited as an example) if Dia and Gaius have a good movement despite his age, and his son Baron found to be homozygous DM / DM.
Nothing is strange.... Of course it is possible that Gaius and Dia are "only" carriers... I know it...

The point is something else - that after all the speaks, days of disscusion we came again to the very old rule which so many breeders use: to look on the dogs and their offsprings - to evaluate "general health" of a line and not (only) on the health results of one or two dogs...

Because if we will take into consideration only one result we can land in a bigger troubles than only DM...

Some breeder took part in the witch hunt and they decided to make the 'political correct' litters... They have carriers females (sometimes females "at risk"). Because they decided to make the DM-result the ONLY selection for their litters - look what happend...
One kennel get litter of 3 puppies, one died, one in untypical, one is OK... But great - the only normal one which seems to be a normal wolfdog is only "carrier"... Maybe it is political correct litter but I will not take such puppy even for free... (as it seems the puppies had several other health problems).
Let's take the another breeder who took DM-free stud dog - the only tested in her country but with look and body of a german shepherd.... The puppies already now do not move typical - they move like GSD - sad look...
Another case of breeder who was "affraid" to use "carrier" - instead of it she used "N/N" (free) dog which.... had already serious problems to move at the age of 2 years.... The new puppy owners will be for sure happy that their puppies will not have problems with movement at the age of 10-14 years old but... they can get the problems typical for the father at the age of 2 years....
(I changed some facts in order not to blame any breeders but to talk about the problematic)

Look - I'm really for the tests. And I'm for the selection. But I see that some breeders are starting to drive crazy... Some start to think to sterylize really good dogs only because they are carriers. Another in the name of DM-selection make the most stupid litters a person can do... And they would not make such mistakes if they really would take in the consideration ALL the possible risks...

We want to make selection for DM.... but at the moment what we are getting in many cases are litters where INSTEAD of DM genes we get toons of different problems and degenerations which are also influencing the movement of the dogs... Problems which appear MUCH FASTER than the DM-problems....

So my question is one more time the same: how it looks with the DM problems? How many tested dogs (DM/DM) are really ill? How it looks with this problem in the Czech Republic - how many dogs were put down because of it? Which lines?
I do not ask about "maybe dogs" as the last two examples of "for sure ill" dogs I get are DM/N!!!!

It is really important to know it... I just wonder about aversion of some people to publish some pure facts... Why it is so top secret? Because there are so many dogs? In this case we should be informed which dogs/lines are "black listed". Or maybe they do not know any other ill dogs - in this case we must start a work to look if maybe we need another tests... Or maybe take into consideration that by Wolfdogs it is much more complicated...?

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote