View Single Post
Old 18-08-2011, 21:00   #9
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
Ugh. Non-sporting. I have never fully understood that group...most of the dogs have no real purpose, other than to be companions. Others (like the dalmation) had a working purpose, and still others were actually SPORTING dogs - like the poodle and the Lundehund. Most it seems...AKC just didn't know where to put them, or they became very disillusioned from their original purpose (like the show poodle!). Vlcaks were bred for (even if maybe not 100% successful in their purpose) for work though...so...
Never really 'got' that group either, and the name is really not descriptive or helpful. I see a few companion dogs but like you said there are also a bunch of dogs that were/are working or sporting heritage, including Shiba for flushing/hunting, the Schip an all-purpose dog, Dals and Poodles, the Lundies though I guess their job is obsolete now, I mean, heck, even the Bulldog was purpose bred up until their current manifestation.

Our breed does originally have working purpose among other things but their uses and strengths seem as diverse to me as the dogs placed in non-sporting.

But I don't think besides me there is anyone who is thinking of anything other than Working or Herding, is there?
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote