View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 21:03   #36
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildenmorgen View Post
The AKC in the US is quite scary - there are no stipulations that a dog be tested for health, or anything else, before registering or breeding - many purebred dogs have paid the ultimate price in terms of health (physical and mental) because of poor breeding practices. A purebred dog needs only 3 generation pedigree. A breeder at their own choice may "limit" the registration of a puppy being sold (which can be reversed later) so that the puppy's offspring may not be registered in the future, and the puppy may not be shown in conformation exhibits, but most irresponsible breeders do not use this feature of registration, out of ignorance or because the lack of breeding/registration rights is a turn-off to buyers. Responsible breeders examine each pup early, and also follow the pup's development - the "limit" feature is useful for the responsible breeder.

DNA testing is required on all breedings of dogs that are imported, or if a bitch is mated outside of the USA. If 2 AKC registered dogs are bred, there is no requirement to DNA test - besides the health implications, this also scares me tremendously, as we have so many people here with hybrids, and also such a demand for hybrids to be produced from foolish people, in addition to a very "relaxed" attitude about breeding with our laws...
I recommend that the US CsW club (soon to bee) demands DNA test to prove pure blood breeding and to avoid legal problems to, I know I will, sens Hybrids and Wolfdogs under generation 5 (F5) are alegal in Sweden.

To demand HD and ED X-ray are recomended to and DNA tests fore diseases.

But as you say responsible breeder will !!! and hoppfully there only are responsible owners and breeders in the US this far, I believe so ???

Regards / Mikael