View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15   #3
buidelwolf

Quote:
And I'd like to know if it is common for wolf to dog pairings to have low fertility especially if it is a male wolf to female dog. For example, in the two litters from Sarik, there was only 1 puppy produced each. Only 2 puppies were produced from Argo's single litter, and only 1 puppy from Lejdy's single litter. The only exception is Brita who had 2 sizable litters.

I assume that the actual litter sizes were much larger than officially documented. Especially in those days it was common practice to select rigorously; keeping the best puppy(s) and "simply" euthanise the rest.For example those who proved to be too shy. I'm not sure about it, but I do think it is likely that's the reason why we only see one or two F1 pups with some of the wolf crossings. Also just because a wolf crossing usually results in large litters (fresh blood). I seem to recall having read about it here on the forum or perhaps in the book by Karl Hartl. Possibly some forum users from the countries of origin can tell more about it?

Last edited by buidelwolf; 12-11-2010 at 02:16.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote