View Single Post
Old 16-08-2010, 17:42   #28
rivals

Yeah, I'd imagine as being a breeder you probably see the worst of it. After seeing so many terrible breeders though this community is a sight for sore eyes in that aspect. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand people who think that just dumping their dog at the shelter or putting it down because they are difficult as a puppy is acceptable. I actually had a good discussion with Vicky recently regarding the difference in the average quality of breeders between the US and Europe as well as the level of knowledge the average dog owner has and just how much that seems to differ.

That's a pretty high rate of dogs needing rehoming I hoped it would be smaller, that maybe since it's such a new breed especially here in the US that the people importing them would be more responsible. I definitely agree though that so many people in the US who have dogs really just don't understand how much responsibility it is. I live in a college town right near the campus and on my block and the next block there are at least 5 dogs who are kept primarily outdoors, never exercised, and constantly bark and whine. It's really depressing. The average college student who just wants a dog because they grew up with one or whatever really has no idea what it means to really care for one (and I say this as a college student graduating in 3 months who spends pretty much every second of his free time with his dogs ). This is a rant that I could go on about for way too long, but the way so many people handle having dogs in the US is really sad.
rivals jest offline   Reply With Quote