View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 19:36   #109
Gypsy Wolf

No, I don't doubt my friend's ability to raise a good working dog - she does so regularly. The problem was that Pollux has some serious shyness issues, and that was a major factor in her decision to look for another home. A shy dog is not necessarily a good working prospect to do what she wanted to do with him.
Pollux lives with us, and we have been charged with finding and screening good homes for him - we have been involved in rescue of various breeds for the last 10+ years, so it is not difficult to screen for a good home.
Our initial hope was to place him in a performance/show home which would require he be kept intact. So far, the "Saarloos mix" accusations have not been confirmed, and I would still place him on a co-own contract, intact. Just because a dog is in a home intact does not mean he will be bred. I have had multiple dogs of my own - all intact - and very few have ever been bred, and I never have had an "oops" breeding in 21 years of dogs.
The other option is an active companion home - where he would be placed neutered. In both cases, the financial terms will be between the adoptor and the owner - I step out of it, even though he has been our financial burden for quite a while. I do not expect reimbursement.
And in both cases, keeping him local will also allow us to inspect the home and make sure that he settles in well and I can help them with socializing him.
I am done with being demonized for trying to do the right thing. It seems that he will not be going out to CA to the wrangler which is too bad, but I am sure we will find him an appropriate home. Thanks for all your help, support and understanding.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote