View Single Post
Old 19-03-2010, 18:23   #17
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
Good points, Yukidomari.

I think the international vlcak community would like to see every dog FCI certified (hips) before breeding. I'm also thinking CERF (I think it's an eye?) tested also.

Maybe we could also look at the Sieger standard with GSDs - only dogs with working and show titles will be on the referral list. Here in the US you can easily tell working lines from show lines (this is very obvious in malinois). What working titles will have to be worked out. It is fairly easy for any dog to get a CGC and if it gets the CGC then it's only one more step to get a BH. Maybe SchH1 or obedience titles?
Hips/elbows and CERF sounds like a good start!

Sieger standards of Germany? Well it's easy to tell GSD from West German show lines, even if they require SchH titles.. SchH is a sport.. a dog could certainly pass SchH1 and not be able to be put under any real working situation. Course, it's also easy to tell which is American, and which are DDR as well.. It's all a big controversy, of course, I'm not criticizing one way or the other.. many, MANY people criticize American standard GSDs, but a large number of people also criticize West German show GSDs, even if they have a SchH title..

I agree that something needs to be there, more than just a conformation CH. like can be permissible for companions or toy dogs, but above that, well, it's so very tricky. I wish that there really wasn't a need for titles, that people could just evaluate their dog fairly and honestly, like how many landrace breeds came to be, but it appears in this day and age, without titles, 99.999% of the time you're just looking at a breeder who is kennel-blind.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote