View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 20:01   #9
Ender

I spent my last evenings reading the forum and I found plenty posts against this particular kennel. It's not my place to judge, maybe there's some truth involved, but in this case it's just an unfortunate situation. Sure, if we look at the pdf file showing DM tests, the name 'Crying Wolf' appeares a bit too often... the fact that this test wasn't available till recently is a perfectly good excuse, but from now on, it should be mandatory for all breeding dogs from certain breeds, it isn't that expensive, and it isn't that hard for any breeder to avoid producing affected puppies.

I saw a case recently...it's a terrible sight....the poor dog was barely able to move, he had to be carried everywhere, covered in his own poo most of the time (that's specific to DM)... The only thing he was able to fully control were his eyes, and that was enough for his owner to decide not to put him to sleep...

Of course, DM doesn't affect young dogs (Lord-the dog I was talking about-was almost 10 years old), if he makes his regular exercise daily, and lives in a healthy enviroment it might never be affected. Everywhere you read about it, it says that death comes when vital neural connexions are affected, but in reality if the dog cannot be supervised 24/7 all sorts of stupid accidents can happen, they simply cannot be avoided...

It's criminal from a professional breeder not to spend a few coins to make DM tests for all dogs (including old ones, to warn their offsprings' owners about possible problems). There's no excuse now, but things are still moving slow, very few dogs are DNA tested, and so it happens that you can't find a couple of breeding dogs in planned litters sections, both fully tested. Think about it, a new guy (like me) comes here to look for a puppy and sees these threads...of course next move is to look for a healthy dog rather than one coming from a good line...

How hard is to test your dogs for DM and dwarfism?
Ender jest offline   Reply With Quote