View Single Post
Old 30-06-2007, 08:51   #6
Liesbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Currently he is 3 and a half motnhs old and he is very skinny. He weighs only 14kg. He is very active but always hugnry and he keeps on eating his diarhoea.
Hi,

I also had some troubles with my puppy in the beginning... Try not to focus on his/her weight to much. My puppy weighted only 10kg when she was 3,5 months old and very skinny too. Don't forget to deworm every 2 weeks! Untill the puppy is 6 months old. Very, very important! The chicken and the rice is good. What I tried and what helps a lot to stop diarrea is raw food, but good quality. The kind of beefsteak you would eat yourself, cut in smaller pieces. You can also try to give your puppy the water in which you boiled the rice (rice like Mirka said is good!). Give him this instead of normal water. It stops diarrea. It seems to me that your puppy cannot take al the substances that he needs out of it's food, because the proces is going too quickly. That can be the reason for eating his own feces: they're still full of vitamins and other things... But don't let him eat them My puppy did the same.
Giardia Intestinales seems a possible diagnose, but probably your vet has already checked this? Giardia is caused by a protozoa that gives chronic diarrea. It can affect humans too, so be carefull and always wash your hands when you cleaned up the feces of your puppy...
I don't think it could be Herpes, because your puppy would be death by now. And a puppy of that age usually doesn't have diarrea because of Herpes. They would 'only' have problems with their respiratory system and they could have a sort of rush on their stomac.
As long as the puppy stayes active like everythings alright for him, I think he will be fine. But try to stop the diarrea and deworm him every 2 weeks! A second opinion of another vet would be a good idea. And a chat with the breeder!

Greetings,

Liesbeth