View Single Post
Old 23-02-2013, 18:05   #22
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Since the beginning of this thread I found some things I cannot agree with, so I'll touch them before reading further:

1) experienced / inexperienced

Wolfdog was my first dog ever, I got a large and dominant bitch, I was 16.5 when I got her and managed to do defense training, agility and hiking with her without any great difficulties. Yes, she drove me almost crazy sometimes, but I think experience with other dogs may not get you ready. Either you have it in you or you don't and any amount of labs, GSD or other dog breeds will not help you much.

2) kennel and leaving dog alone

They can stand it. Some have bigger problems, some have no problems. You just may not raise it as a companionship junkie, than it will have problems staying alone. My first dog grew up in our yard, sleeping in my bedroom when small, but only having occasional entry to the house when adult. No problem. My dog now I took to work everyday until around 5 months, then she learned the hard way (at summer camp) to be left alone (she had a wolfdog friend very close, so not completely alone) lot of the day and most nights. Then she lived in a kennel outside our house, being allowed in the yard and garden when we were at home, but only occasionally allowed inside. Now she lives with me in tiny apartment, while I spend at least 9 hours in work daily, she is OK with that. She even goes to other room when I work on the computer, to lie on the couch and sleep alone.

3) dog hotels

Well, no any dog hotel, I am sure. But since she was young, I left Frei in dog hotels when I had to travel because of work, and she is used to it. I just make sure the hotel is able to actually take care of her, meaning that they have good kennels and allow her to play with other suitable dogs, or pay her enough attention themselves. Since she is used to strangers she has no problem obeying people I leave her with, even when they speak other language (she now apparently understands Slovak/Czech, Catalan, English and French).

I am not saying that wolfdog is or is not right for nask, I am saying that the arguments which I mentioned until now are not really valid.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote