View Single Post
Old 29-04-2011, 19:03   #45
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
I know only few wolfdogs that would not eat much and most of them would start eating as soon as in company of other wolfdogs as they knew that nothing would be left if they hesitated. (...) I would say that high pray/food drive is a typical trait in wolfdogs. But you have to know how to utilize it.
Tina always ate all she was given, but Lorka leaves food when she's not hungry. When I want her to perform well at dog school she gets ... late dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
I'd say wolfdogs are not for people who take the dog as a means to achieve something. If you want to get to a top of a big mountain, and you take a wolfdog, you may reach the top and see the beautiful sight, but you may also get to the top of the tree line and see that there is just too much fog and bad weather, and you just cannot go further, but you still have a great companion with you. So wolfdog is a way, and if that is what is important for you, go and get one. If the goal is more important, then wolfdog is not for you. You can take a wolfdog on a lift with you, but the wolfdog will not be the lift to the top.
Very wise words, Sashia. I agree 100%.

The most important thing when getting a wolfdog is to keep patient and humble. I really appreciate the approach of our present trainer. She says that teaching the owner how to work on the good relationship with a dog is far more important than training a dog for exams. If the relationship is correct, the exams (whatever one understands under this term) will be easy.

Quote:
Finally, I found the answer - I stopped buying ready made 'dog treats' and simply started to dry my own meats.....
Jing, I'll send you a recipe for training treats I got from Margo. They work like magic

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote