View Single Post
Old 27-07-2010, 17:18   #31
Gypsy Wolf

It is foolish to remove A/A dogs from the gene pool if they have qualities we need in the breed - not to mention simply keeping our gene pool from becoming too small... carefully planned breeding, with screening for the genes, is what we need to do. Of course it is every breeders choice whether they screen or breed to Abnormal dogs...
A/A dogs are only at risk for DM, as stated before. Apparently there are other factors (perhaps developmental, nutritional, environmental) that affect whether or not the dog develops the disease.
Here in FL we are lucky to have Dr. Clemmons, a world-renowned expert on the disease who actually found the genes and devised the test. He also has designed a specific nutritional, vitamin/mineral/nutroceutical program for those dogs that have DM, and has advocated putting at risk dogs on the program, too, with the hopes of staving off contracting the symptoms. It is really unknown whether or not this affects progression of the disease, as it is so variable in progression from patient to patient, so even a "control" group of DM dogs is not necessarily going to help prove efficacy of the program.
I have spoken to him several times on the phone regarding DM, as I have had several friends with dogs who have contracted the disease, and I also have GSDs and occasionally breed my GSD. He feels that up to 50% of GSDs carry an Abnormal allele - whether they are A/N or A/A - so testing is important. Interestingly, I am the only breeder I know of in this area that tests for it. The other breeders I know down here scoff at the test saying it's "too new" and "doesn't mean anything." Personally, I think they are afraid of knowing if their dogs are carrying the genetics... that would mean they would have to inform puppy buyers, and potentially remove some of their stock. One breeder I know cranks out puppies for profit (she has well-bred parents - SchH titled sire) and is already on her "P" litter after only about 3 years of breeding... I personally know her male is a carrier, but she doesn't care and is not going to test her bitches, puppies or even mention the disease to her buyers. I wonder what will happen a few years down the road when some of those buyers tell her their dog is afflicted with DM? It is a genetically-based disease, and her contract guarantees genetic health. Here in FL she would be responsible for not only the purchase price of the puppy, but all the resultant medical bills, too. So stupid to ignore a problem like that - ethically and financially, in her case.
It's one thing if you don't know, and have no way of finding out, but it's another to turn a blind eye to such a debilitating disease... to knowingly produce Abnormal animals, that may potentially be used for breeding themselves... morally reprehensible, in my opinion, and a disservice to the breed.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote