View Single Post
Old 29-11-2009, 07:45   #1
Kootenay

Default A few questions!

Hello everyone,
I have been doing alot of reading and research on the CsW. I am from Canada, so unfortunately my options for meeting one of these dogs is limited, but I hope to make the trip (either in Canada or over to Europe!) at some point for an introduction. I have a few questions that I haven't seen discussed in the forum yet - I hope I didn't miss a thread.
First of all, I am curious what methods of training you use with your dog(s)? Play reward/ treat reward / or a combination? And if you use play reward, what games do you commonly play with your dog?
Also, there are some breeds such as Huskies, and also the more recent wolf-dog crosses, where it is advised to not ever let the dogs offleash. From what I have gathered, this is NOT the case with CsW. I'm just wondering about the specifics of this. I imagine it is probably more challenging to have 100% perfect recall then with say, a golden retriever or GSD etc. Do some owners not let their dogs offleash? Or did it take very structured training to fully trust your dog offleash?
I'm still very much a beginner here but I am doing my best to learn as much as I can! I won't be in a place for another dog for a few years at least, so I have some more time for my research.
Thanks every one ,
Brynne
Kootenay jest offline   Reply With Quote