View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 15:16   #12
Macia

Sorry, but I don’t understand somebody who is ready to euthanize a dog ONLY because he looks or moves differently than other dogs. Believe me, there are dogs with more severe problems than Freyr! Freyr is happy, full of life and energy. She does not see any difference between herself and other dogs. People tend to humanize animals too much – Freyr does not care that she looks differently – she is able to do things which other dogs do – play, show affection, even run! I hope that soon she will walk without help.

Just after the accident the vet told us, that even if the spinal cord was broken she would be able to adapt and live more or less ordinary dog’s life. We never even considered euthanizing her, because we saw no reason for this: we love her, she’s a member of our family!
Since the operation, only 4 or 5 people have told us we should have killed her and two of them were drunken ‘yobs’.

There are many people in our neighbourhood who don’t have dogs, some of them old and conservative. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had such views like Fenris, but all we hear from them is that Freyr looks “the most cheerful dog they’ve ever met”.
Freyr taught me how to be calm and patient. Now I know we should not care about some people’s opinions and just do what we think is right and proper.

Luckily, we have many supporters around us. Even people we hardly know approach us when they see Freyr’s improvement and encourage by saying that she’ll soon be on her own legs. Now, since Freyr’s been on the trolley many persons stop to ask what happened but nobody has ever said anything like Fenris.

When I agreed to Rona’s publishing this story I wanted to share with you our hope and enthusiasm that we finally found a method to help Freyr! I also thought that if somebody had ever similar problems with their CSV, (though I hope not) –our case will give him/her support and hope to struggle on.
But maybe it was a mistake, maybe people want to read only about successful champions...

This is a picture of my “unhappy dog”

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/901/pict0074mq1.jpg

PS. Rona, thanks for helping to translate the post.
Macia jest offline   Reply With Quote