View Single Post
Old 21-08-2011, 04:33   #129
Gypsy Wolf

I do not put him in a home thinking it is just temporary, but I DO require that if there is a problem that they don't think they can work out, I want him back. So, in these instances, there was a "trial period" unfortunately. Honestly, though, I would MUCH rather insist that the adoptors return him to me if there is a problem rather than dump him in a shelter because they are too embarassed to let me know it didn't work out.
Having done rescue with other dogs, I have seen that happen before - the family takes the dog, a month later they realize their Malinois puppy is just "too much" for them and rather than contacting Rescue, they just dump the puppy off at Animal Control.
That is the major reason I prefer to adopt him locally - I can take him back or pull him from a shelter if he ends up there.
I know there are special needs that vlcaks have, so I know he is not the easiest dog to re-home. I am very frustrated, but how can I blame people for not being able to deal with him? It isn't their fault - they tried, I think. They certainly did not go into the relationship thinking it would be temporary, either. His recent home was over two weeks, and when I see them crying as they hand me the dog... and see how much Pollux loved them, too...
I am not a fan of his bouncing around homes, either, although I WILL say the extra socialization and exposure to different situations IS healthy for Pollux. The adoptors were not particularly strict with their rules and Pollux does not seem any different or damaged in any way from his experiences. I could see that he had bonded with his recent adoptors and clearly loved them. He was just as happy to see Ed and I, too, but clearly enjoyed his "trial periods"... in fact, I have seen that he seems to adapt very quickly and easily to the people he is with. That is a GOOD thing in my book - healthy to see him be confident and open with them.
So there are broken hearts all around. Even this evening when the foster firefighter dropped Pollux off to us, he was seriously bummed. He was hoping, during his fostering, that his girlfriend would accept Pollux... it seemed to be working, except that it sort of worked too well - Pollux got all happy and excited when she came home and he jumped on her accidentally scratching her face with a claw... It threw her back into her fear of him. <sigh> And with that instinctive distrust, it doesn't matter what I say - she just doesn't want him in her house.
So we are back to square one. I am upset and frustrated and worried that we will never find the right person/people for him... of course he will stay here until we do, but I feel badly that I can't give him more than I do. He is an amazing boy - he so deserves to be someone's only boy (or maybe one of two dogs) someone who won't mind his wolfy quirks and not be afraid of his more obnoxious behaviors (like his play nipping and boxing). For crying out loud, he is even good with cats! What a special boy!
So here's hoping we can find him a good placement... this is, by far, the toughest dog I've ever had to place...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote