View Single Post
Old 28-10-2011, 03:54   #136
Gypsy Wolf

Default Finally adopted!

So, as I had hoped, the foster home - firefighter and girlfriend - did end up officially adopting Pollux. To our surprise and joy (and relief) the girlfriend really stepped up to the plate and made huge steps toward caring for Pollux - walking him herself, feeding him, working with him, etc. That was really what was holding the firefighter back - he didn't want to put the burden of the dog on her. He even bought a kennel for his fenced yard so that Pollux could stay out there and she wouldn't have to care for him when the firefighter was on shift.
Pollux himself fell in love with the girlfriend - he is MUCH more responsive to her than he is to the firefighter - he adores her. So, push came to shove when I was away and the firefighter had to pull a shift without Pollux coming here - so the girlfriend had no choice but to put her money where her mouth is... and she did great. Pollux actually slept on the bed with her and for the first time, she felt "safe" at home without the firefighter there. Yes, Pollux is a scaredy-cat but no would argue with a growling or barking wolf!
So after that, the firefighter decided to officially adopt Pollux. Since then (early October), he reports that they returned the kennel, as Pollux is always loose in the house while they are away! I would NEVER have even suggested an intact adolescent male vlcak be allowed to be loose and unsupervised in a house, but Pollux does not do anything naughty! Apparently one day the girlfriend could not lure him or push him into his crate, so she just left him loose... and he was perfectly behaved, so he has earned the privelege of not having to be crated - unless HE wants to - every once in a while he will go into his crate for a nap. Usually, though, he is with his people - even when he has room to run... the firefighter has a few acres available to him for private hikes, campfire gatherings, etc... he brings Pollux, and because Pollux is SO bonded with his people, he doesn't use a leash. Pollux is glued to their side. Again, I would NEVER advocate that, but I am glad that he has settled in to such a nice life with his adopted family. They understand him (probably better than I do, in some ways, as they are able to enjoy behavior that I would not have trusted him to do), love him and have really made changes to accomodate his needs. Who could ask for better? He is a pampered, much-loved pet who has run of the house, his own private nature refuge to hike on, his people take him out to eat at several outdoor restaurants - they solely eat there to be able to take him with them- he gets to snuggle and sleep on the bed, ride in the jeep, go to fun dog parks to socialize (one of his favorite things in life)... I will see them this weekend - a month follow-up to make sure he is as happy as reported - and I am thrilled that, despite all the difficulties in adopting him out, it worked out well in the end...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote